Suggestions on LEFTY Antelope & Mule Deer Rig

.257 AI. 115gr. TSX @3080fps = 4 antelope, 4 years in a row 1 shot kills dead in their tracks. 125yd, 310yd, 405yd & 330 yd shots.

No magnum kick and left handed to boot.:)

I've thought about the .270 and I know it's a great cartridge, but not sure it is much different than my .30-06 overall.

I'll get out there and probably end up with 100yd shots but who knows. What worries me is Dad tells me they typically stalk all day taking free-hand shots. Free-hand shots no good when the buck fever is high!

The antelope i shot was my FIRST big game animal i have ever shot in my life. And before I headed out to wyoming, i was at the range amlost every other weekend getting comfortable with my rifle, learing how it shoots at what distance, and how to shoot in other shooting positions.

When i saw my buck walking about 200 yards infront of me my uncle told me to get ready and i took a couple deep breathes, its better to lower your heart rate (buck fever) before you even get nestled into the scope. once you get the rifle up still stay calm and take a couple deep breathes let the cross hairs settle right behind his shoulder and then use your basic marksmanship skills and have a smoothe steady trigger pull and he should drop right there.

So what i would say to calm down that buck fever
get comfortable with your rifle before going hunting
calm yourself down before you bring the rifle up
take deep breathes to slow you heart rate down
let the crosshairs settle behind his shoulder
slow steady trigger pull
remember basic marksmanship skills (don't rush make a clean kill shot)
I always keep in mind the sniper motto "one shot one kill"

happy hunting,
benson821gun)

I'm thinking a Savage LH repeater either there center feed clip or drop plate action ($375), Shilen from Midway ($275) or Lothar Walther barrel ($350), Bell and Carlson Stock ($275). Both barrels are pre-threaded to fit the Savage action, so you can screw it on your self or take it to a smith. This action will also allow you to choose the weight of pull on the trigger w/o a smith. That will get you on your way for right around the same as the rifle you mentioned with McMillian stock. The Medalist stock will be similar to the A5. Just a thought.

As far as caliber, I'm going to push you in the direction of the 270WSM or 6.5 WSM. Those will get you as far as you want and still put down the game of choice.

Tank

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.