Suggestions on build - browning ab2 - light palma - stock options?

Floundertrap

I'm building a long range rig on a Browning A-Bolt II long action and I'm having a little difficulty with the stock options. I plan for this to be an heirloom rifle and I want it right, even if a little odd.

Let me say that I'm building the Browning because I think it's a very well made bolt and action, the factor trigger can be polished and adjusted to be pretty good, and it looks sharp. I want to put this in a nice wood stock (hopefully exhibition maple), so looks are important. It
's getting an 8 twist brux that I will cut at either 26" or 28" I have custom Remingtons and I have a Savage I could build, both are easier to find stocks for and I am aware that I could do this easier with a different action. Why a short mag on a long action? I will be running the 170 gn Berger EOL and when loaded to an optimum depth (I read on another LRH forum that's 3.060 COAL) it is too long for an internal box (Savage .308) or detachable mag (AB2 300 WSM).

So here's the rub: Richards Microfit is the best option I've found so far. With a light palma contour, I'm going to have to hand carve the barrel channel, free floated of course but CLOSE. I hate a big or uneven gap next to a barrel almost as much as I hate a big gap under a scope bell, that's also why I'm not really interested in synthetic stock options at this point. So in order to accommodate the larger barrel contour (1.200 at breach, bevels to .90 at 5", tapered to .75 at 30"), I will have to open the channel up too much for the factory stock to handle as the sides will be very thin. Richards will only cut a 3/4" contour for an AB2 inlet, and they won't shape the forend to have more meat on the sides for me. They will leave the forend in block form for me to shape completely (with rosewood tip and cap), which as I said, is the best option I've found so far, but it isn't a great one.

Surely someone has dealt with something like this before, what did you do? I appreciate suggestions and feedback, though as I mentioned, I'm not really trying to build a different action or go to a synthetic for this rifle. Thanks

Yep, if you want a wood stock, there will be none better than one built by Joel Russo. I don't know if he does carbon fiber stocks, but if so, that would be a good lightweight and strong option.

If you want synthetic, I think McMillan makes a few different options. Not sure if Manners does, but if they do, I'd go with Manners.

Another thing search our forums here where members have used Browning actions for custom or semi-custom rifles , there have been some Beautiful Dandys built , the guys that get them built are Proud ,& rightly so and most will name their gunsmith . PS And Welcome to the Forum happy to have you !!! Cheers !

Another thing search our forums here where members have used Browning actions for custom or semi-custom rifles , there have been some Beautiful Dandys built , the guys that get them built are Proud ,& rightly so and most will name their gunsmith . PS And Welcome to the Forum happy to have you !!! Cheers !
I have one, but my smith is a bit of a peculiar individual, to say the least. He only smiths as a hobby (full-time machinist), so he likes local work, and doesn't ship things in or out because he doesn't have an FFL. Otherwise, I would be giving out his info. I've caught a bunch of crap for it on here, but if he likes his anonymity, then that's his M.O. so I'm going to respect his wishes.

I have one, but my smith is a bit of a peculiar individual, to say the least. He only smiths as a hobby (full-time machinist), so he likes local work, and doesn't ship things in or out because he doesn't have an FFL. Otherwise, I would be giving out his info. I've caught a bunch of crap for it on here, but if he likes his anonymity, then that's his M.O. so I'm going to respect his wishes.

Can't blame you for that. I sent a message to Joel Russo. Boy does he do some handsome work. I did not get anything from a few basic searches but I'll try some different keywords and see what I can find on other builds.

I reused the factory synthetic stock for my build, as it shot great in it was factory (Brownings are factory-bedded & free-floated), and it's light and functional. And it was a VERY cheap rebuild/custom. I just went with a stainless 26" magnum sporter contour barrel, and had it bead-blasted matte finish. I'm thinking next go-round will still be a 7mmRM, but I'm going to put a 26" 1:8 twist Proof Research carbon fiber barrel on it for really lightweight, but also very stiff barrel harmonics for LR shooting.

IMG_3662.jpeg
IMG_3663.jpeg

I keep my wood factory stock BBR Browning pre-a bolt , had it pillered n glass beded bbl free floated ,Lilja ,cm,1/9 twist ,#3 conture 27 inch , 708 Remington ,very happy and my Smith wouldn't mine some more work ,lol , but some can be cantankerous as a Rhino just saying I've seen it and delt with it .oh & Brux is one Great bbl for sure ! Thks

I reused the factory synthetic stock for my build, as it shot great in it was factory (Brownings are factory-bedded & free-floated), and it's light and functional. And it was a VERY cheap rebuild/custom. I just went with a stainless 26" magnum sporter contour barrel, and had it bead-blasted matte finish. I'm thinking next go-round will still be a 7mmRM, but I'm going to put a 26" 1:8 twist Proof Research carbon fiber barrel on it for really lightweight, but also very stiff barrel harmonics for LR shooting.

View attachment 125809 View attachment 125810

Mud, I did see a post from 2011/2013 (with some entertaining banter thanks to 50 BMG Hunter) that chronicled an a-bolt build you were planning. Looks like it worked out eventually.

My challenge in stocking this rig is the barrel contour, but for a price I think Russo can really make this thing what it should be.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.