Suggestions on a new range finder or binoculars

Bino/Range Finder combo is one of the best purchases I have made. What one is up to you and what you want to spend.
I recently purchased some Vortex Fury 5000 AB binos. They are very capable and the unrestricted software included is outstanding. My first test was shooting .22LR at 335 yds and the solution was within a click in 25 degree weather. I have got ranges on reflective objects off hand at over a mile. It's nice not needing to use a kestrel although you can. You can plug in and adjust your wind value on a compass heading and then it applies it no matter what direction you are ranging. I still have my Leica 1200 I've used for the last ten years and it works great when you want to go light and don't need ballistics info. The Fury's don't have the glass of the higher end ranging binos but they are very good for the price point. I was looking hard at some Geovid pros but you need to pay extra to get ballistics over like 850 yds I think on the Leicas. And they cost triple the Fury's. I am still working on adding data to my rifle profiles to tweak the drop curves but it's gonna be another month before the snow melts off the desert enough to get out to long ranges. I'm really happy with them and they are not crazy heavy or bulky for a 10x42.

Back when I wrote for a few shooting mags I tested the Leica Geovid with a ballistic solver. At the time, their "solver" was a lookup table - in other words, an approximation. Don't know if they upgraded, but IMO you really do a solver that takes into account everything.
I have the LRF 2800.com and can't recall what the internal solver is but I tested the solution provided by the LRF to my Ballistics AE app on my phone out to over 800yds in various conditions (temp, angles, elevations) and was always within 0.1mrad of each other. Curious what others experience has been with the Leica .com LRF models.

I have the LRF 2800.com and can't recall what the internal solver is but I tested the solution provided by the LRF to my Ballistics AE app on my phone out to over 800yds in various conditions (temp, angles, elevations) and was always within 0.1mrad of each other. Curious what others experience has been with the Leica .com LRF models.
I have never used my ballistic solver/program in the Binos. I just range, angle, and use my verified chart built from my Kestrel on the rifle. I dont shoot extreme range at animals I eat....I stay 800 and under so far and my old style still works for me.

Well, perhaps they have installed an actual software app; the one I tested was their first Geovid model with a ballistic solution and was a while ago. You had to pick one of three profiles or you could build a custom one. IIRC, at the time it didn't compensate for angles correctly - it used the old "Rifleman's Rule" which is not great at LR. Your bullet will drop slightly more than the corresponding horizontal distance simply because the TOF is longer than it is over an equivalent range over perfectly flat terrain.

Last edited:
Checkout the Sig Sauer BDX system - they have great rangefinders (I have a 5k and 2400) and they have bino's with integrated rangefinders (a little heavy - but great reviews). Also they are all pretty reasonably priced = good value.

If only using it with rifle shooting/hunting, I'd go with a binocular, I want to get the Leica Geovid Pro 10x32. If needing something to also archery hunt with, I'd just get a good handheld, my current range finder is the Leica 2800.COM for that reason. I have good binoculars already, so I don't need to upgrade them. The Geovid Pros have AB built in and can connect to a Kestrel/cell phone app. They do everything that my handheld does, only they come with AB preloaded, so I wouldn't need the Kestrel. I'd love to have a range finding binocular when rifle hunting, I think it would just make things easier.

Last edited:
I would also recommend whatever solution you decide to pursue that you get an "all in one solution" - trying to coordinate a Kestrel or look at your iPhone app is a real pain. I used to use Ballistics AE (and used it this morning because the snow would not let me range my target and I couldn't remember my setting at 910 for one of my Laupuas) but moved to a BR7 and then a Sig Kilo. I would say the Sig Kilo's temp probe is dicey - I have had two fail on me but gave up the second time simply because temp is not nearly as important as barometric pressure. I will probably upgrade to something else soon and looking at the Sig bino - one advantage they do have it is easier to hold steadier than a small dedicated RF.

Well, perhaps they have installed an actual software app; the one I tested was their first Geovid model with a ballistic solution and was a while ago. You had to pick one of three profiles or you could build a custom one. IIRC, at the time it didn't compensate for angles correctly - it used the old "Rifleman's Rule" which is not great at LR. Your bullet will drop slightly more than the corresponding horizontal distance simply because the TOF is longer than it is over an equivalent range over perfectly flat terrain.
Their new solver is better than that I think. I can still build a custom table using AB or my AB Kestrel. Which is going to be more accurate considering the solver in my Leica uses the G1 BC anyway. So long as I have quality data into and from my Kestrel or jsut AB the leica will do just fine. I know the Geovid Pros have AB built in for their ballistic solver but I haven't had a chance to play with that yet, I just need a couple grand to test those out.

The other thing that is important to ME is having great glass in whatever I'm using to range as I don't want a situation in low light where I can't see to range my target. Had this happen before with previous LRF where I could see the target very well in my swaro binos but couldn't even find the target in my LRF. So whether combined ranging binos or separate Bino / rangefinder, just something to consider depending upon your use case.

With the Leica Geovid Pro's and Kestrel 5700 Elite, I set the Pro's to cycle off after only 1 minute to save battery. I can either do the same to the Kestrel or if enough time elapses it will cycle off by itself. Which is fine with me because I can simply hit the power button the Kestrel and put it away then hit the power button the Kestrel's and have bluetooth in 1 second. Hit the ranging button and I have dope and wind within a split second. The whole process takes me 5 seconds or less.

One more vote for the Sig10k. Ranging is better than anything else I've used and solutions have been pretty much spot on. I have 5 different rifle profiles programmed in to it and it has been good for all of them. Glass does have a blue tint, but good other than that. Carry my old Leica 1600 in pack as a standby.

Wow!!!!

Superb video. I love the fact that you can manually input temperature. When I shoot in AZ and my RFs heat up like crazy in the sun - the BR7 is horrible, since it is black. Also love the fact that you can spin wind up or down - 2400 doesn't let you do that.

I am buying one! Good PR for your shooting school as well.

Only thing I would add is you didn't mention the laser wavelength or beam divergence. Also no mention of the number of ballistic profiles. Otherwise, excellent video.