Suggestions on a new range finder or binoculars

I an thinking of getting new glass. My range finder bit the dust long ago.

The question is this: do I get separate binoculars AND a range finder? Or do I get a combined binocular/range finder? Oh yeah, my old glass was a 10x42.

I haven't shopped for these new items for a LONG time.

Any ideas or suggestions?
I recently combined the two (rangefinder and binoculars) and I'm pretty happy with them especially if you consider the price of two separate items.check out Vortex fury 5000 rangefinding binoculars with applied ballistics!
They will also pair up with a Kestrel, but it's not necessary like some others.

Last edited:
I've tested the Sig Sauer KILO010K-ABS rangefinding binoculars when a customer of mine ordered a set. I was blown away when I was able to range a license plate at 1.8 miles. Glass was super clear.
501588F9-9E57-496E-A10B-B247592C43D9.jpeg

Years ago missed ranged a elk with a stand alone range range finder when I was bow hunting due to the difference in magnification difference in the range finder and my binos. I've since been using the first generation of Vortex Fury and will never go back. The glass is ok but I'm currently looking at Zeiss and Swaro combo units. Like other have said it so easy to just range as your glassing, and with the new units with AB it also tells you you hold over (most will store several rifle profiles).

I went through a similar transition from LRF to Binoculars with LRF. I really only use it to shoot prairie dogs. Glassing for a target at 500+ yards, then trying to find them in my LRF and then trying to find them in my scope could become tedious. I'm hoping combining the binoculars and LRF will take out a step, plus one less thing to carry into the field. I went with the Meopta LRF binoculars which I got a really good price on slightly used. These are a good deal at $1k, but if you want great glass and don't need a ballistic calculator internally, the Leica Geovid R 10x42 for $1399 are you best bet. If you want the ballistic calculator and really good glass is not a priority, then the Sig KILO6k or the new KILO 10k have all the bells and whistles you could want. FYI, the Sig KILO6k or 10k have the atmospheric sensors built in. The only thing you would need a kestrel for would be wind at that point. If your shooting/hunting doesn't allow you time to get out a kestrel, the Sig might be your best option.

You didn't mention what you are shooting at and how far. If I was hunting something that I needed to engage quickly, I would get the Sig or similar binocular with built in ballistic calculator. If you are glassing/ranging at dusk or dawn, then the Leica as it has significantly more light gathering then most any other brand out there due to their patent. Just have to decide if you need the built in ballistic calculator as there is a $1k premium for that model (although it does have better glass as well).

I have yet to try my LRF binoculars in the field, but I'm pretty sure they will be worth the extra money to save me the headaches of separate glass and LRF. For me the better experience is worth the difference in cost.

Hope this helps,

For elk hunting, I've been using Vortex Razor HD 12x with the Sig 2400 ABS range finder. The setup has not failed me yet with four elk taken between 400 and 560 yards. If you don't carry a bipod or tripod in the field, consider an inexpensive monopod... light, fits easily in the pack, and makes a good rest for picking the mountains apart.

On our way out west this year, I made the mistake of checking out the Sig 10k range finding binoculars at a Cabela's in Lincoln, NE. I took them outside with one of the employees and we both spent about 5 minutes ranging objects at many thousands of yards. The range finding capability is outstanding and the ballistic solution is instant and comprehensive, right down to the speed and energy of the bullet at the impact point. You can input the ballistic info for different guns and quickly switch between the profiles at the range.

There is a trade off as the glass is not as good but the shooting solution and simplicity made them worth it for me. Worst case, I'll throw the Vortex in my pack for extended glassing, but I'll definitely have the Sig's on my chest this fall in the mountains.

The guy I hunt with uses the Leica 15x range finding binoculars. Glass is great in the Leica's but they are big, heavy, and the range finding capability doesn't compete with the Sig's. They also do not have the ballistic software.

The question is this: do I get separate binoculars AND a range finder? Or do I get a combined binocular/range finder? Oh yeah, my old glass was a 10x42.

I was just in the same boat and ended up with the KILO6k HD 10x42 and I have been very happy with them so far.

I've contemplated a combined unit but given how technology advances quickly I didn't want to be buying new binos routinely. Maybe I'll break down someday but for now I've kept them separate…swaro 10x42s (to glass) and Leica LRF with ballistic calculator built in. At least now with the
Leica having the built in ballistics solution I eliminated one step and don't have to go to my phone. 😏

Anyone have or tried the Garmin Foretrex 701 Ballistic GPS with Applied Ballistics. I got one from my company for my 35 anniversary.

I've contemplated a combined unit but given how technology advances quickly I didn't want to be buying new binos routinely. Maybe I'll break down someday but for now I've kept them separate…swaro 10x42s (to glass) and Leica LRF with ballistic calculator built in. At least now with the
Leica having the built in ballistics solution I eliminated one step and don't have to go to my phone. 😏
Back when I wrote for a few shooting mags I tested the Leica Geovid with a ballistic solver. At the time, their "solver" was a lookup table - in other words, an approximation. Don't know if they upgraded, but IMO you really do need a solver that takes into account everything.

Last edited:
Bino/Range Finder combo is one of the best purchases I have made. What one is up to you and what you want to spend.

It depends on your goals. I run a Leica 3200 and love the combo. The glass is good, which is important, the ballistic program is suitable for hunting which is acceptable. So if you want excellent glass and good enough program for 1000 and in, this a fine combo. If you want further range solutions then you have to pair with kestrel. It's not ideal but it works. Only time I hunt over 1000 is wolves and yotes and it's not all that often. I can easily open my app and have a solution in a minute if needed. In the end I've run this 3200 for a few years and it's helped me kill a pile of yotes, deer, elk, and some wolves. I have a lot of confidence in the system to 1000 for sure.

I agree with this statement but differ in the solution. I figure good glass never ages poorly but electronics seem to improve on a yearly basis. For that reason I went with a LRF binocular that had good glass and over a mile range (which I will never get close to shooting). I prefer to have my ballistic calculator on my phone as it will get updates always and I can always easily switch out the BC on my phone to what ever is best at the time.

My concern is that a LRF with BC built in might be the best Applied Ballistics today but tomorrow there might be a better BC then Applied Ballistics or maybe Applied Ballistics goes out of business. Who knows? I do know there will always be a modern solution available to use on my phone. Of course if you need instant ballistic information so you can quickly take a shot, then the built in ballistic calculator in in the LRF binoculars is the way to go. I shoot prairie dogs so time is not of the essence. I can typically glass, range, enter the data in my BC, dial the adjustments, get up and grab a snack and something to drink, get back on the rifle and still have time to take the shot.

Different situations need different solutions.

I started with a Leica rangefinder, and later purchased Leica Geovid range finding binoculars. I haven't used my rangefinder for hunting since. It's just so much more convenient to spot and range with the binoculars.