Suggestions how to tighten up this group (if any)

Berger's procedure seems to make little sense to me. It is accepted that VLD secant ogive bullets don't like a jump to the lands so why try them at .150 from the lands.
What was 'accepted' was wrong, there was never any basis for it.

We can learn from this, as there are many things accepted in our endeavor -that are as likely wrong...

That is strange because I have had trouble getting Secant ogive to shoot away from the lands as good as other Tangent ogive do so I would disagree .
What may be happening is they are changing their tune now to suit better sales . Also they may be using a hybrid ogive that is tangent near the lands and not saying so.
I will stick with what is see happening .

Do the Berger seating depth test and then you'll know. It's just about the first thing I do in load development. I start at maximum magazine length (assuming max mag length provides a jump to the lands) and seat my way deeper and do it with any bullet, not just VLD's. My rifles almost never shoot best at max mag length.

The magazine box in my Ruger is shorter than my COAL.

If my rifle is for hunting, I want to use the magazine so I only test seating depths that work in the magazine. The Ruger I'm working on now shoots best at about .200" off the lands. By not doing a rough seating depth test, a person could be leaving some easy accuracy on the table. That said, yours is working pretty well.

Here is a 4 shot group at 300 yards. Not really sure why it opened up so much. I may try and work up a new load with 180gr bergers and see how they do..

Attachments

• target.jpg
    target.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 61
How is your trigger weight? Are you using a rear bag? Heavy triggers and shooting form starts to reveal itself at about 300..

I had the trigger stoned but not sure on the weight. I was actually thinking that it felt a little heavy on the pull.

Berger's procedure seems to make little sense to me. It is accepted that VLD secant ogive bullets don't like a jump to the lands so why try them at .150 from the lands.
Seems to me to be about wasting bullets which means you have to buy MORE.
I would start with the bullet just touching the lands and go from there .
You don't want to jam it in too hard as you may pull the bullet out upon extracting an unfired round. The real sweet spot is from just touching the lands to the deepest you can go and not jam the projectile on extraction . You may be able to get good results not touching the lands but it's not going to be way off the lands so what Berger is saying is ridiculous.

You need to check your information. They (Berger) have plenty of data supporting the validity of trying both jump and jam.

I am too precise to go off of some people's opinions, I need data. The data is there, if the OP wants to shoot this bullet well, I suggest he follows the manufacturers suggestions.

I own 1 rifle that likes a .005 jam and another rifle that likes a .028" jump.

Hey R D, it appears that on your 100 yd targets that it is shooting half inch left, it looks to me that your scope needs to be adjusted right 2 clicks,and at 300 it pretty much kept its zero, unless you are left handed shooter, the trigger don't look to be affecting you much. I work up 2 tenths or down 2 tenths at a time till group starts to get closer to one hole. your close, as said before could be a choice of primer, or seating depth of .005?

I think it's a matter of having a high velocity ES.
it's not very evident at 100 yds but when you stretch it out it shows up.
Shoot some 3 shot groups at 300 yds or farther with various powder charges and find one with very little vertical .
Then do a seating depth test at 100yds to put them all in one little hole .

Seems to me to be about wasting bullets which means you have to buy MORE.
I would start with the bullet just touching the lands and go from there .
You don't want to jam it in too hard as you may pull the bullet out upon extracting an unfired round. The real sweet spot is from just touching the lands to the deepest you can go and not jam the projectile on extraction . You may be able to get good results not touching the lands but it's not going to be way off the lands so what Berger is saying is ridiculous.
Bullet bumper,
The seating depth we suggest are ones that repeated consistently in our testing to either get you onto or close to a seating depth accuracy node. The actual fact is that VLD bullets can be jumped with success and do not always need to be close to or jammed in the lands. Jamming a bullet in the lands in a hunting rifle unless that is the ONLY way to get acceptable accuracy is something we do not recommend because of the chance of the round not chambering in a stressful situation or the chance of leaving the bullet stuck in the rifling when unchambering a live round. Which, along with the action full of powder can bring a hunt to a swift end. Feed the rifle what IT likes. Testing is the only way. These seating depths were put out by us to help save shooters/hunters time and bullets. That's all.

Here is a 4 shot group at 300 yards. Not really sure why it opened up so much. I may try and work up a new load with 180gr bergers and see how they do..

I'd work on your form. Little mistakes magnify when you get out a ways. Get into a good solid prone position and correct for parallax. On the shot, make sure your rifle is recoiling straight back on your rear rest and you're in the same position on your cheekweld while looking through your scope and squeezing the trigger.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.