Suggestions for Western WA Elk Hunt

Ron Eagle Elk

Okay, I've decided to try hunting again after stopping back in 1972. I've kept shooting, just stopped hunting.

I'd like to hunt WA west side elk in 2013 to give myself time to get back in shape. I'm a disabled Vet and don't walk as well as I used to, but I do get a low priced hunting license.

Looking for info on how (Guided, self hunt, etc), bullet choice (I shoot a Remington 700 in 30-06 that I've tinkered with a bit). The rifle likes Hornady A-Max and SST bullet over 168 grains, but I wouldn't use either of those to hunt.

Any suggestions would be appreciated so I can set some goals for myself.

Ron,
I too picked up the hunting last year after a number of years off. I found out the crowd of hunters have increased, so I needed to shape up a little better for this year to go further off the roads. I have used a 30-30 and 30-06 for ever. I researched many brands of ammo to get back into the game, and can you believe, I found myself back with Remington CorLokt 180's. I cannot find the 165's. Their are brands that are a little more accurate, but for me, unless I am in a contest, a half to inch for the money is just as deadly from 100 to 300 yards. I have a Howa 1500, and CorLokt holds a four to six inch pattern at 300 yards, and I am sure some of that is me. Federal Accubonds and Partition shoot very well, but are a little more in cost. Good luck.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.