Suggestions for rifle sling

ndking1126

Mods, looks like I should have put this in Backpacking Gear & Clothing. Please move if that's the correct place.

Any recommendations on a good sling for all day hunting in the mountains? Maybe some with helpful unique features you wouldn't think of until you try?

I have a basic one I use, and I have a basic pack to carry and shoot off of.

Last edited:

Andrew Massi

I use an uncle Mike's mtn sling for sling work. If I'm covering a considerable distance I use the gun bearer on my pack (kuiu) stone glacier makes a very neat hands free quick release sling if your packs compatible

TheLongRanger83702

FTW.

OrangeMan73

Check out slik sling by creative outdoors. Its super lightweight and simple and allows for a pretty efficient marriage between longrifles and backpacks. Takes a minute or two of practice for draw but is suprisingly fast. I mostly hunt with a chassis 300 wsm with 24" barrel and suppressor, and this setup keeps it from carrying too high.

OrangeMan73

Check out slik sling by creative outdoors. Its super lightweight and simple and allows for a pretty efficient marriage between longrifles and backpacks. Takes a minute or two of practice for draw but is suprisingly fast. I mostly hunt with a chassis 300 wsm with 24" barrel and suppressor, and this setup keeps it from carrying too high.
I'll add that I hunt with a beartooth 80 as well, for everything from daytrips to week long pack-ins, so having one slik sling setup on my pack is reasonable.

Dragoon300

LRH Team Member
I have two slings that I use and recommend.

1. The Magpul MS1 for rugged use and rapid adjustability, or the MS4 (pictured) if you would like to switch between dual and single point attachment.
20210626_100858.jpg

2. The SAP Positional rifle sling for serious shooting from all positions. This is my best recommendation if you are looking for a sling that does more than just carry your weapon, it is a positional shooting sling system that will provide much more support and stability when making offhand standing, kneeling, sitting, or prone shots.
20210626_100819.jpg
These slings will do more than you can imagine. For instance, if you use a tripod the sling can be used in several ways to make your setup much more stable.
The propper use of a sling for a rifleman is a class in itself, a lot to learn, but well worth it!

Hope this helps.
Good hunting!

nksmfamjp

How do you want to carry? On your front, back, under arm? Where are your studs/cups? Do you want a shooting aid? Do you shoot off a tripod? Do you want a pad or some flex when carrying?

If I knew a couple of those, I could probably help more…

I use or have used leather match slings, Armageddon Gear, TIS, Specops gear, random cheap slings, etc.

Currently, I am using the Armageddon Gear on one hunting rifle and TIS Quick Cuff on my other. The most important feature in a sling for me is lack of noise when using and ease of adjustment.

jjmp

I’m frugal and asked my Mother to sew up one made out of 1inch wide nylon straps , make sure it’s long enough for your use cause we all come in different sizes , it has no loops for adjustment,but I did have her sew in super swivels while she was doing it on her sewing machine. It’s light as heck& strong enough to save my life .Cheers.

Recent Posts