Suggestions for new barrel for Mark V Weatherby

6x6 elk

Looking to rebarrel my Mark V Weatherby, 300 WBY, I want to stay with a heavy sporter barrel since this is a hunting rifle and I want to keep the weight down. Considering Bartlein ,Pac- Nor, Shilen, Broughton . Any favorites you guys can suggest from previous experience? Thanks for the help. If it matters I'm looking to stay with the 300 WBY chambering. Flat shooting and brass is easy to find.

6X6, pick a few well known barrels and inquire which manufacturer will provide a barrel to your spec in the least time. Many here on the forum complain of lengthy waits for custom barrels. Good luck

I had my mark v done by hart. Its really nice. Can't say much about the Smith that did the work though many mess ups on his end that resulted in many return trips for little things. Barrel itself is great. Any of the ones named will be good.

Lilja, has done a lot of weatherby caliber work, call them, great to work with.

Do you know if I send Lilja my barrel and receiver, if they will thread the new barrel, attach it to the receiver and check the headspace? I don't think that Bartlien does that work, they have someone else do that, they just make the barrels.

Literally ANY aftermarket brand (with a price-tag higher than $250) is going to be better than a factory Weatherby (Criterion) barrel.

So, any of the major brands you should be happy with...Bartlein, Brux, Douglas, Obermeyer, Lilja, Krieger, Benchmark, Pac-Nor, Hart, and the list goes on.

I am not sure what they do these days, at one point they sold chambered and contoured, not certain if they screwed then on. Give Dan a call.

I am not sure what they do these days, at one point they sold chambered and contoured, not certain if they screwed then on. Give Dan a call.

Do you know if I send Lilja my barrel and receiver, if they will thread the new barrel, attach it to the receiver and check the headspace?

Unless it has changed recently, it is not one of the services they provide. It is best to call and talk to Dan ... he's very helpful and pretty down to earth not to mention easy to talk to. :D

Cheers!

Ed

As a Mark V enthusiast with more than 2...

Add Benchmark to the list but all you listed are good. I have used 2 of the 4 in your list installed plus the Benchmark. I have not yet used Shilen or Lilja.

Any competent smith should be able to change your barrel, less than shipping to Paso Robles.

However, if you send it to Weatherby, they will chamber it as it was and stand behind it.

Two sides of the coin.

Throwing this out there, but when I was looking at Hart's website this morning, their website says they offer chambering and installation as well...