Suggestions for lightweight 6.5 hunting rifle

I do not have the reamer specs but I can mic it and give you any measurement you want. I just set up two over the weekend trying some new powders and bullets that were not around years ago when I built them. You can't get any more out of the 280 case unless you end up with a Gibbs short neck. I am sure they would both be very close performance wise.

I do not have the reamer specs but I can mic it and give you any measurement you want. I just set up two over the weekend trying some new powders and bullets that were not around years ago when I built them. You can't get any more out of the 280 case unless you end up with a Gibbs short neck. I am sure they would both be very close performance wise.

I'm sure they are pretty close. The reason I wondered was I gain some over other cases because I have less body taper and a 40 degree shoulder. What powders are you trying? I really want to get my hands on some RL33 but can't find any yet....rich
p.s. the diameter at the shoulder of my case is .460"

The JRS is 2.164" to the shoulder, 2.267" to the neck and the shoulder diameter is .456". Magpro powder was doing very well over the weekend with a 162 Amax. I think this cartridge in a 6.5 would be very close to yours. If he is considering a long action yours would also be a good choice. If you find some RE-33 please let me know. I talked to them at the SHOT show about it and they said they would contact me when they were ready to ship.

The JRS is 2.164" to the shoulder, 2.267" to the neck and the shoulder diameter is .456". Magpro powder was doing very well over the weekend with a 162 Amax. I think this cartridge in a 6.5 would be very close to yours. If he is considering a long action yours would also be a good choice. If you find some RE-33 please let me know. I talked to them at the SHOT show about it and they said they would contact me when they were ready to ship.

I have asked for info from them on the RL33 and can't get a response but I'll let you know when I do. The JRS is about what I thought. It has a little longer body and mine is a little fatter body and a little longer neck. Ballistically, probably a draw as is the Gibbs.....Rich

I just bought a rifle built in the 80's as a sheep rifle. It's a 700 rem SA in a MPI stock w/ a 26" #1 Kreiger barrel chambered in a wildcat 7mm/6.5 Rem mag. I shot it over the weekend and it shot a .274" group at 100 yds. It weighs 7.8 # w/ a Swarorski scope. If the stock is changed to a HS Precision Lightweight another 8 oz could be removed. Not a 6.5 but is on a 6.5 case and it holds 3 rounds in the magazine. Loads were provided that were 120 gr bullet at 3400 fps, I believe it is a hot load.

Hello Fred,

30 years ago when I built such a rifle I used the Remington 6.5 Magnum, which is pretty obsolete now as to locating brass, reamers etc. Much better choices today would either be the 6.5 x 284 or the .260 Remington. Just completed a long range class at Whittington; we had a factory .260 rifle amongst the various cailbers in class. I must admit I was surprised as how well the .260 did and I had a a custom 6.5 x 284. After 2 days of nearly continuous shooting and nearly 200 rounds expended, you will like the "user friendly" smaller calibers and find you truly give away little to much larger 30 and 338 caliber cartridges, plus you do NOT have to use ice on your shoulder at the end of the day!

Gene

My vote is for the 6.5X47L. Very impressive little cartridge. Will push 3000fps with 130g bullets.

Steve

I'd make sure whatever you build can push 140 grain bullets at 3000-3200 and better yet 162 grains at 3000. Elk at a far are pretty tough to track and disassemble back to the truck. Any caliber where Lapua makes brass would be desirable too.

I'd make sure whatever you build can push 140 grain bullets at 3000-3200 and better yet 162 grains at 3000. Elk at a far are pretty tough to track and disassemble back to the truck. Any caliber where Lapua makes brass would be desirable too.
Who is making 162gr 6.5mm bullets and what load data is there for them?

Derek...the 6.5 Sherman is a cartridge that I created a few years back when I shot the barrel out of my 6.5 A.I. Since I was building a wildcat anyway, I decided to improve on the A.I. (IMO) I used a .270 case to take advantage of the length to gain case capacity without sacrificing the neck length too much. I blew more taper out of the case and moved the shoulder farther forward. The result was a case that holds almost as much powder as the WSM and still has a .300" neck.I can reach 3200+ with 140's in a 26" barrel but accuracy and case life are good at 3150'. This cartridge will equal or beat a factory loading of the .264 mag with far less powder. It is very accurate and deadly at some pretty hefty ranges......Rich

Wow ok cool! Who do I find to build me one? Are you willing to send me the reamer specs? Have you found any feeding issues with this caliber? I've heard of some hunters having trouble feeding the 280AI in a repeater.

Wow ok cool! Who do I find to build me one? Are you willing to send me the reamer specs? Have you found any feeding issues with this caliber? I've heard of some hunters having trouble feeding the 280AI in a repeater.

Derek.....I have the reamer that you could use for a small fee and I would be willing to send the specs for you to look at. I have never had any feeding issues with either my 6.5 or 300 Sherman cartridges which are identical. A friend of mine has a 280 Sherman and he has none either. You could also ask cmantha or bigngreen, both forum members, as Cliff has a 6.5 on a model 70. As far as building one goes, If I were you, I would just find a reputable smith that you want to use and I could ship him the reamer. You can pm me if you like to get a phone # if you want to call......Rich

Derek.....I have the reamer that you could use for a small fee and I would be willing to send the specs for you to look at. I have never had any feeding issues with either my 6.5 or 300 Sherman cartridges which are identical. A friend of mine has a 280 Sherman and he has none either. You could also ask cmantha or bigngreen, both forum members, as Cliff has a 6.5 on a model 70. As far as building one goes, If I were you, I would just find a reputable smith that you want to use and I could ship him the reamer. You can pm me if you like to get a phone # if you want to call......Rich

Will you please explain to me the difference in a 6.5 Sherman and a 6.5-06?

And a 280 Sherman v. a 280 AI?

Thanks for the offer on borrowing the reamer. I would want it shipped to Dave Bruno in Dayton, PA.

I will PM you for specs. You can email me. Thanks!

Will you please explain to me the difference in a 6.5 Sherman and a 6.5-06?

And a 280 Sherman v. a 280 AI?

Thanks for the offer on borrowing the reamer. I would want it shipped to Dave Bruno in Dayton, PA.

I will PM you for specs. You can email me. Thanks!

THE 6.5 Sherman is a greatly modified .270 or 280 case which holds approx. 11% more powder than a std. 6.5 '06. The .280 Sherman is similar to .280 A.I. as they both share the same parent case but the Sherman has less body taper and the shoulder (40 degree) is moved forward farther than the A.I. so of course the case capacity is greater but it still has a good neck (approx. .310")........Rich

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.