Suggestions for improving handloads?

CPerkins

How far do you go to keep your loads consistant? I currently sort every bullet by weight and double check the bullet length to the ogive using a stoney point bullet comperator. I also weigh every charge twice using a dillon digital scale and measure the overall length, again to the ogive. I check the length of the cases before loading. I used the VLD inside deburring tool on case necks as well. How beneficial would it be to weigh the empty cases of new brass and/or checking case necks using a micrometer. I am just getting back into the handloading game after a long absence, and need any advice that you could give.
Thanks

Cody, if you believe that every little bit helps, then you may also wish to use a concentricity gauge on your finished loads. Definitely sort brass by wt. Turning necks helps but do it properly. Some say it isn't necessary on "good" brass, like Lapua.

I don't know about the rest of your loading technique but one thing that helped me years ago was a simple tip from a bench shooter in Tucson. When seating the bullet, run it into the die until you feel the first "seat," this is only the initial marriage of the bullet base to the case mouth...bullet is only in neck about 1/16". Back it out, give the brass a 180 turn, run it up the die again but only moving seating the bullet about 1/8 inch at a time. Back out again, rotate brass 1/4 turn, run it up again, back it out, turn in another 180, then seat all the way. This helps with a concentric seat.

You also check you finished loads in a mic right? It is a good idea to make sure all finished rounds are identical from brass base to ogive.

I will also fully support Glen Zediker's book. Mine is so torn up the pages are curling, the front and rear covers are just about to fall of and the front 20 and rear 30 or pages have come out.

I'd buy a new one but I've got so many lines and phrases marked or underlined in my old one, it would take me a week or more to duplicate my work.

Maybe if Glen would update the current version and republish it, I'd make the new purchase. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

At one time when I was crazy,I spent more time tinkering with brass and bullets it was taking the fun out of reloading.Now I just do basic case preparation,a precise loading,I set the bullet on the lands and go shooting.

I agree. I don't like all of the brass prep. That part is certainly not fun to me. This alone is one reason why I may just go to all Nosler brass. Already sorted by wt., already trimmed to length, primer pockets uniformed, flash hole deburred.

It's probably worth it.

Cody,
I agree with all of the above.
I would also add that it is beneficial to sort your brass by weight and neck wall thickness.If you use quality brass and have a micrometer designed to measure neck wall thickness,you can sort it to be consistantly within .001" thickness.This will improve bullet pull and concentricity.
FWIW,
Jimmy

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.