Suggestions for calibre and platform

I went with the 6.5CM Bergara HMR Pro. I'm breaking in the barrel now. The Bergara people recommend barrel break in be clean and remove copper every 5 rds, then at 25 rounds clean with acetone. Acetone?
I'm not sure I've heard of that before.
Anyone use Acetone for barrel break in?
Watch out for getting it on the finish. Even if you use it, your going to have to patch it out. Very flammable. But most cleaners are to some point. Not sure about the chemical process in removing copper. I do remember long ago using the non-ammonia break cleaner spray to hose out barrels. It works OK too. Quick general clean. A bit expensive to use lots though.

For shooting from a seated position, get a tripod with the hog saddle and you should be good to go! Get the carbon fiber so it will be light and mobile.

Last edited:
I have used a lot of different rifles chasing coyotes (17hmr, 204,223, 243, 2506) and have settled on the 6mm creedmoor shooting 108gr eldms. I got tired of the wind blowing low bc bullets all over the place on those coyotes that hang up out there a ways.

I shoot a Bergara Premier approach with a Leupold VX5HD 3-15x56. Best coyote set up i have ever owned

Hey man that's interesting. I hadn't heard of it before tried it myself on a whim and it seems to work slick! My wife was irritated that I stole her nail polish remover to clean guns 😁

It started out by accident. I didn't have any rubbing alcohol on hand and was applying hexagonal boron nitride to the bore of a rifle I thought I had very thoroughly cleaned already (my method is usually to suspend the hbn in alcohol and apply via soaked cotton patch run through - acetone is self drying like alcohol, evaporates) so I used acetone instead…works great with hbn treatment BUT…my patch through the "clean" bore cleaned with normal gun cleaning solvent came out dirty! That acetone was picking up carbon the other stuff wasn't.
Whoa.
This I never knew.
When I heard acetone, I worried that would hurt the barrel somehow.

Hi,
I want to hunt coyotes that are after my chickens and I need more range than my .223 is giving me. I see them out as far as 940 yards. In daylight they have gotten too wise to get in close. But there is opportunity for some long shots. Typically I'd probly be shooting downwards into a canyon from about 350 to 700 yards. But I see them further sometimes and having the capability to get out to 900 would be good. I can set a gong out there and practice until I get use the the longer distance.
I've been looking into 6.5 Creedmoor and 6.5 PRC.
But also I'm looking for suggestions.
Like rifling, what should I look for? Whats a good twist for those distances?
I understand rifle twist applications for .223 and 5.56 but the 6.5 category is new to me.
Thanks for any suggestions,
M
I tried a 223 for 600 yard matches. It will definately shoot that far but even the heaviest bullets are loosing speed and momentum out that far so the wind becomes more of a problem than it does for heavier bullets. I would suggest something in either 7mm or 30 caliber if you want to hit coyotes beyond 350 or 400 yards. You have to consider not just wind but bullet drop at longer ranges.

I tried the 140 grain Aguila and wasn't impressed with the quality the seating depth varied a lot some were seated out so far that they didn't want to chamber right. The primers were crimped so to reload the brass you need to ream the crimp out of the primer pocket, but the brass is of okay quality it did need trimmed as the length of it varied by several thousandths of an inch, and the flash holes needed deburred, but I just wanted the brass to load any way. to save on my good brass while I played with different loads and powders as well as bullet weights. It's looking like the 120 grain Nosler BTBT'S will be the ones I go with again. The Hornady 95 grain bullets in the factory loads did okay at one MOA at 100 yards in my rifle.

Wow, so maybe I should use this box of Aguila for my break in ammo.
Hard to chamber?? Thats bad though! That means its sitting right on the lands and grooves right?
Some guns don't tolerate that very well.
They probly didn't group well for you if you saw those inconsistencies.

No they didn't group well at all, they were okay for break in. yes, a couple of them were jammed into the lands and it was hard to lift the bolt before they were fired without moving the bullets in the case necks, the groups were close to 10 inches at 100 yards. but even with them in the lands they didn't show over pressure on the case or primmer pockets. I did the cases like I would if I were going to load them for bench shooting than weighed them and they came out okay for my use till I get it figured out what I want to know for loads and bullet weights in it. As with anything it's possible the two box's I got were loaded by someone having a bad day in Mexico City after Cynco de Mayo celebrations.

I've always liked bolt action rifles for hunting. This year I have forced myself to use my AR15 .223 Wylde for hunting coyotes. It turns out I really like the ergonomics of the AR15 for coyote hunting. I'm a night hunter shooting off of a tripod and the pistol grip with an adjustable stock makes for holding steady much eisier.

The cons: louder/more of a hassle to load/unload, and its a bit heavier to carry around

I tried night hunting. It was not like the gear we used in the Army. I could sort of see more peripheral vision with my NV's.
When I tried night hunting, I was looking through the thermal scope, I became night blind when I was not looking through it.
Recently we had a major sized bear walk through the yard. It stepped over a barbed wire fence like it was nothing. Not supposed to be grizzly in our area, the DFW said they were going to introduce grizzly into our area but the towns people here were vehemently against that.
I don't know if they actually did it. But this was a brown colored bear, that was thin and had very long legs. So either a smaller grizzly or a massive brown colored black bear.
So sitting out there by myself, somewhat night blind and knowing this bear is out there with me pretty much forces me to say this....I'm too chicken to be out there at night without being able to see that well. LOL!

I tried night hunting. It was not like the gear we used in the Army. I could sort of see more peripheral vision with my NV's.
When I tried night hunting, I was looking through the thermal scope, I became night blind when I was not looking through it.
Recently we had a major sized bear walk through the yard. It stepped over a barbed wire fence like it was nothing. Not supposed to be grizzly in our area, the DFW said they were going to introduce grizzly into our area but the towns people here were vehemently against that.
I don't know if they actually did it. But this was a brown colored bear, that was thin and had very long legs. So either a smaller grizzly or a massive brown colored black bear.
So sitting out there by myself, somewhat night blind and knowing this bear is out there with me pretty much forces me to say this....I'm too chicken to be out there at night without being able to see that well. LOL!
Sounds like it was Sasquatch from your description. Either way I get where you're coming from. lol