Suggestions for calibre and platform

Do you like that reticle? Would you recommend it? They have that same scope with a TMOA and that varmint reticle. The TMOA is just mil marks 10 down and 10 up and same side to side.
I wouldn't of bought it if it wasn't such a good deal. It doesn't bother me now it's an HD model What does bother me is I can't seem to get it to focus as clear as my non HD VX6 4x24x52.

I can't really use traps. I would likely end up just trapping pets or animals I didn't want to trap.
That's too bad, trapping or snares would be the best way to get their numbers down. You got the acreage, maybe you need a dog or two?

Anyone on this thread have a Ruger precision rifle?
Just curious what you think of it.
I see they come in 6.5CM.
Haven't owned one, but hear good things. Do have a Tikka CTR that's very accurate in 6.5 CM. Comes in 6.5 PRC now too

Do you like that reticle? Would you recommend it? They have that same scope with a TMOA and that varmint reticle. The TMOA is just mil marks 10 down and 10 up and same side to side.
I have a VX6 3-18 and really like it. Mine has the Boone and Crocket reticle, going to get it swapped over for the TMOA reticle myself. Dial for elevation, hold for wind and you're off. Use the elevation reticle for corrections if you miss or if you need more drop than the turret has. The windplex is a decent option too. Make sure the reference is at a magnification that is useable for you (the moa hash marks are only 1 moa at a certain magnification, usually the highest). A VX5 3-15 might be a good option too, easily get you to 800+.

Even out to 1000, I don't use more than about 16-17 power to maintain field of view so I've got a Vortex PST2 5-25 with a Christmas tree moa reticle in FFP I've been using to learn to shoot long range.

Since you can't go prone, I also recommend a tripod. I'm learning to shoot with one myself. Im steadier prone (I think everyone is), but for being able to shoot above vegetation etc it's great. Also, much easier to sit and watch for coyotes behind a tripod.

As far as rifles go, I've got an Sig cross 6.5CM with the 18" barrel. Very handy, but wouldn't be my choice for shooting out to long range. They do make it in a PRS model with a 24" barrel though. Really like the ergonomics on mine. I put my Tikka CTR in a KRG Bravo chassis and am really happy with it. Would recommend checking them out. As far as cartridge, I agree with those recommending the 6.5 or 6 mm creedmoor (Which the Ruger Precision is available in). No need to pay the extra recoil and barrel life penalty of the 6.5 PRC unless you want to hunt something bigger than deer with it too. The CM's will kill coyotes as far as you can hit them. Soooo many factory loads for 6.5 CM, you'll be able to find something your rifle likes. Scads of reloading data too.

I kinda want a new coyote gun now too…. Maybe I should sell my Tikka Compact in 243 and get something new. Hmm….

I have a VX6 3-18 and really like it. Mine has the Boone and Crocket reticle, going to get it swapped over for the TMOA reticle myself. Dial for elevation, hold for wind and you're off. Use the elevation reticle for corrections if you miss or if you need more drop than the turret has. The windplex is a decent option too. Make sure the reference is at a magnification that is useable for you (the moa hash marks are only 1 moa at a certain magnification, usually the highest). A VX5 3-15 might be a good option too, easily get you to 800+.

Even out to 1000, I don't use more than about 16-17 power to maintain field of view so I've got a Vortex PST2 5-25 with a Christmas tree moa reticle in FFP I've been using to learn to shoot long range.

Since you can't go prone, I also recommend a tripod. I'm learning to shoot with one myself. Im steadier prone (I think everyone is), but for being able to shoot above vegetation etc it's great. Also, much easier to sit and watch for coyotes behind a tripod.

As far as rifles go, I've got an Sig cross 6.5CM with the 18" barrel. Very handy, but wouldn't be my choice for shooting out to long range. They do make it in a PRS model with a 24" barrel though. Really like the ergonomics on mine. I put my Tikka CTR in a KRG Bravo chassis and am really happy with it. Would recommend checking them out. As far as cartridge, I agree with those recommending the 6.5 or 6 mm creedmoor (Which the Ruger Precision is available in). No need to pay the extra recoil and barrel life penalty of the 6.5 PRC unless you want to hunt something bigger than deer with it too. The CM's will kill coyotes as far as you can hit them. Soooo many factory loads for 6.5 CM, you'll be able to find something your rifle likes. Scads of reloading data too.

I kinda want a new coyote gun now too…. Maybe I should sell my Tikka Compact in 243 and get something new. Hmm….
I have that trigger stick tripod. Its pretty handy.
I can also shoot off the bed of my S&S. I put a board across there and then some sand bags and stand next to it. Its like sitting at a bench but standing.
But for the brush, sitting against a rock, with my shoulder against it, and the tripod, then I put some camo net over me, seems to do the trick as far as concealment and its fairly steady.

Anyone. have a Bergara?
Not a folding stock but its adjustable and apparently very accurate. I like that the trigger is adjustable externally.
I have a Bergara HMR-PRO in 300 WM. Just siteing in and breaking in Barrel under 100 rds out. A small bore targe, reduced for shooting at 50'! Shot at 100 yds! Lupi 4.5X14X50 used scope

Attachments

• E1E4A270-8608-4BD7-B1B1-5CE33E275582.jpeg
    E1E4A270-8608-4BD7-B1B1-5CE33E275582.jpeg
    486.4 KB · Views: 31
  • F66144C7-3D94-4602-B62F-46E3F4790164.jpeg
    F66144C7-3D94-4602-B62F-46E3F4790164.jpeg
    377.6 KB · Views: 36
  • 43295BA5-445E-4FAA-B3BE-945E94B60E78.jpeg
    43295BA5-445E-4FAA-B3BE-945E94B60E78.jpeg
    640.5 KB · Views: 34
Keep the chickens in for a few days.
Get up early and wait.
Shoot the coyotes at the coop before/at dawn.

Done it many times.

Edited…

Last edited:
I went with the 6.5CM Bergara HMR Pro. I'm breaking in the barrel now. The Bergara people recommend barrel break in be clean and remove copper every 5 rds, then at 25 rounds clean with acetone. Acetone?
I'm not sure I've heard of that before.
Anyone use Acetone for barrel break in?

I went with the 6.5CM Bergara HMR Pro. I'm breaking in the barrel now. The Bergara people recommend barrel break in be clean and remove copper every 5 rds, then at 25 rounds clean with acetone. Acetone?
Maybe as a flush? I just started flushing with alcohol. I like the way that goes, cleans out any residue from the cleaning solvent(s).

Hey man that's interesting. I hadn't heard of it before tried it myself on a whim and it seems to work slick! My wife was irritated that I stole her nail polish remover to clean guns 😁

It started out by accident. I didn't have any rubbing alcohol on hand and was applying hexagonal boron nitride to the bore of a rifle I thought I had very thoroughly cleaned already (my method is usually to suspend the hbn in alcohol and apply via soaked cotton patch run through - acetone is self drying like alcohol, evaporates) so I used acetone instead…works great with hbn treatment BUT…my patch through the "clean" bore cleaned with normal gun cleaning solvent came out dirty! That acetone was picking up carbon the other stuff wasn't.