Suggestions for calibre and platform

When they first started to do carbon fiber wrapping, they had problems with its holding in heat, couldn't keep it bonded to the barrels and a few other things like it being heaver or thicker is a better way of saying it where they would have an overlap in the fibers. I see that they have changed a few things and the way they are doing it now, some of the barrels even have slots, for better cooling, in the carbon wrap. I can't see a carbon wrapped barrel holding up to being banged around, like happens to a truck gun or on a four-wheeler, or horseback packing in and out of camp. I think that most of them are made of 416 stainless steel barrels and then turned for the carbon fiber to be wrapped. I am not sure what they use as the bonding agent but the ones I've seen were a nice matt finish and looked good. Most of the people that I have talked to said that the biggest advantage for them was the weight to stiffness ratio, as they weigh less.

Anyone on this thread have a Ruger precision rifle?
Just curious what you think of it.
I see they come in 6.5CM.
I've got one in 6CM…it's a great shooting rifle 1/2 to 3/4 MOA with factory hornady match ammo… a bit better with my handloads, But it's HEAVY. Mine weighs 13lbs before adding a scope, bipod, and loaded magazine. Not something you'll want to sling over your shoulder and take hunting. Which is why it hasn't been out of the safe since 2019. I'm selling mine to a young man who is enamored by the way it shoots. My guess is it will be a range gun for him too.

Along with a few buddies, I bought the Ruger Precision Rifle in 6.5CM in order to get started PRS Competition. They were all exceptionally accurate(.25-.5MOA), and served us well for the first couple of years of PRS shooting. We ultimately got sucked into the custom formats. I'd personally pass on it for most all carry/hunting due to its excessive weight(14#) and bulky format.

Are you not happy with your Remington ? If I were you I would get the same format in a different caliber of your choice. And possibly buy a used one in like new condition. Stay with what's familiar. It will benefit in the long run I think. 308 is a good cartridge for what you want to do. Ammo easy to find & inexpensive to most. If reloading choices are abundant. Just my opinion.

I'm curious to see how the carbon fiber holds up, after time & heat on the barrels. Or will the rifling give out first ?
I'm sure the carbon fiber has been heat tested long before ever put on barrels which I don't think would produce enough heat to matter. Maybe on a full auto barrel it'd be a different story. Maybe why it hasn't been used yet ?

They are making carbon wrapped barrels for the AR platform. Having observed some people at the range with their AR'S it will be interesting. Early in the process of making carbon wrapped barrels that was one of the problems encountered as it tends to hold heat very well. Uneven heating was another problem they encountered where they would overlap the ends of the material causing the barrels to heat more on one side than the other like with a barrel that wasn't bored true to the outside diameter or that was turned on the outside diameter not trued to the bore. I had one of those on a 7mm Remington mag first shot dead on, second shot 3 inches to the right, third shot 6 inches to the right, but take a shot and let it return to ambient temp. and it shot one-hole groups. I didn't have that kind of patience for 20-30 minutes between shots and I paid good money for a good barrel to be put on it, but the apprentice didn't get it dialed in correctly, so another smith fixed the problem.

They are making carbon wrapped barrels for the AR platform. Having observed some people at the range with their AR'S it will be interesting. Early in the process of making carbon wrapped barrels that was one of the problems encountered as it tends to hold heat very well. Uneven heating was another problem they encountered where they would overlap the ends of the material causing the barrels to heat more on one side than the other like with a barrel that wasn't bored true to the outside diameter or that was turned on the outside diameter not trued to the bore. I had one of those on a 7mm Remington mag first shot dead on, second shot 3 inches to the right, third shot 6 inches to the right, but take a shot and let it return to ambient temp. and it shot one-hole groups. I didn't have that kind of patience for 20-30 minutes between shots and I paid good money for a good barrel to be put on it, but the apprentice didn't get it dialed in correctly, so another smith fixed the problem.
I didn't know they had for AR's. I can see that application happening on military AR's and if not already sniper rifles . Less weight would be a benefit there. That was a bad deal on your barrel. Glad you got it fixed !

Are you not happy with your Remington ? If I were you I would get the same format in a different caliber of your choice. And possibly buy a used one in like new condition. Stay with what's familiar. It will benefit in the long run I think. 308 is a good cartridge for what you want to do. Ammo easy to find & inexpensive to most. If reloading choices are abundant. Just my opinion.
The Remington is great.
However I keep seeing these PR's, I like the cheek riser and adjustable comb. Never had that before. I have a neck injury that prevents me from shooting prone. I need more ergonomics as I get older.
I miss shooting prone. A long time ago, I competed in service rifle matches. I loved shooting a Garand but I couldn't load ammo for it.
So these ergonomic buttstocks have me interested.
Also I like the adjustable trigger. I like not having to immediately take it to the gunsmith to have the trigger worked for me. My Remington is 2 lbs.
I loved that the Remington 700PSS has that palm swell in the grip. That helps my finger get positioned correctly on the trigger. I hope there is aftermarket AR style grips out there that will help me with that.
The folding stock was not something I thought necessary until I saw a Youtube video of a guy cleaning. He could just fold the stock and start pushing patches. Its convenience. I wouldn't have to bring the cheek riser down to run patches.

Along with a few buddies, I bought the Ruger Precision Rifle in 6.5CM in order to get started PRS Competition. They were all exceptionally accurate(.25-.5MOA), and served us well for the first couple of years of PRS shooting. We ultimately got sucked into the custom formats. I'd personally pass on it for most all carry/hunting due to its excessive weight(14#) and bulky format.
How's the trigger on the RPR?
Adjustable?
Any creep or other issues?

The Remington is great.
However I keep seeing these PR's, I like the cheek riser and adjustable comb. Never had that before. I have a neck injury that prevents me from shooting prone. I need more ergonomics as I get older.
I miss shooting prone. A long time ago, I competed in service rifle matches. I loved shooting a Garand but I couldn't load ammo for it.
So these ergonomic buttstocks have me interested.
Also I like the adjustable trigger. I like not having to immediately take it to the gunsmith to have the trigger worked for me. My Remington is 2 lbs.
I loved that the Remington 700PSS has that palm swell in the grip. That helps my finger get positioned correctly on the trigger. I hope there is aftermarket AR style grips out there that will help me with that.
The folding stock was not something I thought necessary until I saw a Youtube video of a guy cleaning. He could just fold the stock and start pushing patches. Its convenience. I wouldn't have to bring the cheek riser down to run patches.
If you take the time to scroll the classifieds on this forum. You may find a good deal on exactly what you're looking for. Or you can always buy a aftermarket stock to fit a Rem 700. Lots of options. I seen a good deal on a 30-06 in the classifieds but just wasn't quick enough. I thought about it to long. So if you do see something PM the seller quickly if you're really interested.

Adjustable?
Here's something worth looking at. I know it doesn't have the stock you're interested in. But you may want to price a few stocks & different type of actions. Then decide if it is really what you need if on a budget. And you can always upgrade later.

Last edited:
Adjustable?
I saw a Youtube about RPR having a creep issue?
I saw this one and then....
There is a hundred dollar price diff but I can't figure out how other than color they different.
The color of the stock shouldn't account for a hundred in difference right?