Suggestions for calibre and platform

Y'all remember that half radomed C-130 the USAF used to use to recover balloons? It had those big tongs on the front for grabbing the cable. (We're talking way back).
The USAF took those tongs off and gave that bird to the USCG back in the day. Its number was 1451.
By the time I ended up in the USCG they were still flying that plane. I logged 1400+ hours as a radio operator and later navigator on that.
Squeaking, cracking, groaning old bird, it still took us through tropical depressions and even a couple typhoons.
We flew it over the Bering sea many times when we went up to support Kodiak a couple times. It took very rough weather SO many times.
It always got us home. But after flying on any Herc, you don't stop vibrating for a week. LOL

Y'all remember that half radomed C-130 the USAF used to use to recover balloons? It had those big tongs on the front for grabbing the cable. (We're talking way back).
The USAF took those tongs off and gave that bird to the USCG back in the day. Its number was 1451.
By the time I ended up in the USCG they were still flying that plane. I logged 1400+ hours as a radio operator and later navigator on that.
Squeaking, cracking, groaning old bird, it still took us through tropical depressions and even a couple typhoons.
We flew it over the Bering sea many times when we went up to support Kodiak a couple times. It took very rough weather SO many times.
It always got us home. But after flying on any Herc, you don't stop vibrating for a week. LOL
My fillings popped out constantly from vibration! The bird you speak of had the Fulton Recovery System (for the package capture) and a surface area search radar (on top) installed on it. Most were used for rescue purposes. I flew similar ones for a time in Florida before they retired them. I miss it. Days gone by.

My fillings popped out constantly from vibration! The bird you speak of had the Fulton Recovery System (for the package capture) and a surface area search radar (on top) installed on it. Most were used for rescue purposes. I flew similar ones for a time in Florida before they retired them. I miss it. Days gone by.
Good old bird. Venerable.
In FL? Were you USAF?

Lock the chickens in the coop.
Set up over watch at the coop, before daylight.
You will kill the problem coyote close to daylight, at the coop sniffing around.
Best if you can be downwind on a hill, looking down.
It works.

Oops. Answered this in April. Sorry.

Last edited: