Suggestions for barrel size/taper for walking/LR 338 edge.

shooter981

Hi guys. I'm looking for input on a barrel size/contour for a walking, long range 338 Edge. I've had a few custom rifles built but they've all been too heavy to carry for long. I currently have an Edge with a 32" Mcgowan, straight taper to .850 and its waaaay too heavy to hike with for long. I've pretty much settled on a 28" barrel but not sure on the taper. Does anyone know what the taper is on the Gunwerks rifles you see on their show? Im thinking somewhere in the .700-.800 range but I think i could save weight with a sporter contour instead of a straight taper. Are there any pros, cons to either taper style, accuracy wise? Any input will be greatly appreciated.

As you probably already know, generally speaking, the heavier the barrel the more consistant it will be. The key here is finding the balance between weight and consistancy. Although my carry rifle is 'only' a 280, the build and and barrel contour will give you some idea of the weight you might be carrying.

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f53/my-280-updated-32771/

The barrel is a Hart #4 Douglas taper. It is .650 at the muzzle. If you went up one contour to a #5 it would be .700 at the muzzle. A 'sporter' contour that is .700 at the muzzle might be a good compromise for your application.

For a Long Range carry rifle in the 12 lb range with scope and bipod I like the Hart Sendero contour with about a .825 muzzle. Have it fluted before final lapping. I have found this to work very well with both 300 and 338 long range hammers.

Jeff

My edge is .720 and the muzzle and fluted. It is a middle weight carry rifle for me, ready to hunt it is about 10lbs. It is also about as light as i would want to go for a 338 since the recoil is significant.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=82m5YNQUygE]EDGE.mp4 - YouTube[/ame]

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.