Suggestions for a good elk hunting boot

171farm

We will be going to Montana elk hunting the week before Thanksgiving. We are expecting (preparing for) snow so Im looking for a good warm, water proof but lite pair of boots that would be good for putting miles on each day. I have warm gore tex boots I use here in PA but I dont do much of any walking with them and know they are way too heavy for mountain hiking in the snow.

Id appreciate any suggestions.

No way for someone else to tell you that. All high end boots, say > $350 bucks a pair are usually well built and are designed for elk country. You have to try them on and fit them...period. Go to a good shop where they know their stuff and get fitted properly. Nothing ruins a good hunt faster than blistered and bad feet

For steep stuff, where I like a lot of support, and a rigid sole, I bought the Crispi Briksdal SF

I'm very happy with them. I'll probably buy a less stiff model, from Crispi, for more casual climbing and walking/stalking scenario's. I have lesser quality/cheaper boots that get the job done, for now, but will never buy cheaper boots again. I wouldn't consider the Briskal SF if I was looking for a one boot to do-it-all purchase.

You need to try them on with your socks you will be wearing.

If you are hunting in steep mountains you will need more support.

If you are hunting from a vehicle bring multiple pairs. [I have about 5 pairs usually that i can choose based on conditions]

If you are hiking or doing a drop camp you need a more do it all stiffer, stronger boot.

If you have any ankle problems get a taller model.

Kenetreks are great, but they don't fit me.

Lowa tibet are probably the most popular mountain boot.

Crispi Nevada and guide are awesome.

Meindl comfort fit are the most comfortable and easiest to break in. [This is the discontinued cabelas perfekt hunter that was their highest rated boot for 20 years. ]

Zamberlan are really good too.

Schnees fit me perfect and I really like them too.

I don't like more than 2-400 gram insulation. They get heavy, wet, and they don't have a much support due to the cushion of the insulation.

Purchase a few on Amazon... try them on in the house and return them. [Make sure you can return them when you purchase. ]

I would start with lowa tibet and go from there.

My local sportsman's has lowa, Crispi, and kenetreks in stock to get an idea of what fits. When I got my Crispi's a couple years ago I had to bounce around stores trying stuff on.

I don't remember the model name, but they're waterproof and 200 gram insulated. Work great for any of the big game stuff I do. They're a good balance of support and comfort. I wear them to bird hunt too.

You don't need all that new tech with grams of this & that and water proofing to keep your socks dry. Buckskin Moccasins all the way and you don't need socks to worry about getting wet because not needed. Your feet will actually feel every piece of ground and never snap a twig. It will be like walking on marshmallows. You will be like a GHOST - invisible walking through the woods. Another thing if you practice with the real Buckskin Moccasins you will never get blisters on your feet because they will callus up. Be Stealthy and hunt like a PRO!...
I personally like the Mid Ankle height myself, but you can get them thigh or knee height. 1820AD

Last edited: