Suggestions for a good elk hunting boot

We will be going to Montana elk hunting the week before Thanksgiving. We are expecting (preparing for) snow so Im looking for a good warm, water proof but lite pair of boots that would be good for putting miles on each day. I have warm gore tex boots I use here in PA but I dont do much of any walking with them and know they are way too heavy for mountain hiking in the snow.

Id appreciate any suggestions.
If you have lots of snow I would recommend the Schnee Hunter boots. Great boot, removable felts, Airbob sole for great traction. The only negative is that don't have a lot of side support and elk like to live on uneven ground. If you buy an extra pair of felts you can rotate them each day so you'll always have dry boots in the morning.

Danner "Elk Hunter" boots. Hands down the best boot I've ever had for any and all hunting. I hunt upland bird mostly with mine, particularly Chukars, there is no rougher country than "Chukar country". I've been wearing these boots for 25 years, currently on my fifth pair. They come insulated and non insulated, I have both, 99% of the time I'm wearing non insulated. The soles offer the best traction-period, way better than Vibram or any thing else out there. The laces go all the way down to the toe for very secure footing. They are built low to the ground for minimal ankle roll over. Danner used to make them for Cabela's, now they are bought through Danner. Pretty sure they have Gore tex liner's in them now, before they never used too, apply some of their waterproof dressing and your good to go. You won't be disappointed! Order early, the last pair I bought was on a 3 month backorder. I now kept a extra new pair on hand just in case.

I have both Kenetrex and Crispi and they are both great boots…. I think the Kennetrex is a step up but they take about 40 miles to break in. The Crispis do break in easier.

We will be going to Montana elk hunting the week before Thanksgiving. We are expecting (preparing for) snow so Im looking for a good warm, water proof but lite pair of boots that would be good for putting miles on each day. I have warm gore tex boots I use here in PA but I dont do much of any walking with them and know they are way too heavy for mountain hiking in the snow.

I like my Kenetrek Mountain Guide boots, mine are uninsulated, work best with appropriate sock combo of silk liner plus merino wool over that. Their Windtex waterproofing isn't GoreTex but hasn't let me down. I also ear gaiters to keep the snow out. My feet have stayed warm and dry, but don't get too hot when hiking. I did get cold feet sitting and glassing in -5 plus 20 mph wind, but that's my fault, I shoulda' hiked back to camp earlier... but I was on a biggun!

I wear a slightly shorter/lighter Crispi boot when sheep hunting but ankle stability is same for both.

I live and hunt in Idaho. It's practically straight up hill out my back door. All the advice that's been given is excellent; different brands and styles; non-insulated vs insulated; hunting boot vs hiking shoe/boot. I like comfort for hiking; support for climbing; and warmth for the times when it's necessary to sit. I tend to be a repeat buyer since if it ain't broke… you get the idea. Here's one thing I've found - one brand (any brand) may be great for two or three purchases depending on wear, and suddenly the next pair is terrible. Some of the best companies do "improvements" from time to time to compete with the "newest and greatest" and suddenly the last isn't the same as before. So always, try each new pair rather than just saying give me a brand XYZ in size ## and expect them to be exactly the same. Just my 2 cents worth.

You don't need all that new tech with grams of this & that and water proofing to keep your socks dry. Buckskin Moccasins all the way and you don't need socks to worry about getting wet because not needed. Your feet will actually feel every piece of ground and never snap a twig. It will be like walking on marshmallows. You will be like a GHOST - invisible walking through the woods. Another thing if you practice with the real Buckskin Moccasins you will never get blisters on your feet because they will callus up. Be Stealthy and hunt like a PRO!...
I personally like the Mid Ankle height myself, but you can get them thigh or knee height. 1820AD
maybe in GA but not a chance in the real world!! no support, not waterproof and once wet, stay wet... no thanks

I've spent my life hunting and guiding for elk, backpacking/mountaineering and working in western Colorado. Personally I like a stiff, but not rigid, boot. About 30 years ago I started using stiff backpacking or somewhat flexible mountaineering boots made by various quality mountaineering boot manufacturers. My preference are goretex/ synthetic boots- light, very sturdy and supportive with a stiff torsional flex. Currently I'm using Lathrop And Sons brand boots. Very close to perfect, for me. Decide what sort of flex you want then choose the best close fitting, not too roomy, boot you find. My work boots are double lasted Whites smoke jumpers. Serious boots for the rough and steep country I work in, but heavy and no membrane. Love the L&S bit they're hot for the late summer marmot hunts and September big game. Going to try a pair of Crispi Colorado for early hunts. For 20 years Asolo were just right but these old feet have now splayed a bit.

Crispi and zamborlan here

Yep, Danner Elk Hunter with Gore-Tex about $300 or so, like the EE width so wool socks have room to work. Been wearN same pair of White's lineman every day for last few years and zero complaints, hell of piece of craftsmanship, they're nearly $600 but, worth every dollar. Pecard leather dressing keeps feet dry. If camping near the Jeep always have a pair of Kamik, made in Canada boots for snow days. Rubber bottoms stay dry, leather tops are quiet and the felt/wool liners keep feet warm, like $ 150. The ole Peet shoe dryer, is going with too, hotel or in camp, they even got a propane model. Never quit hiking, you'll find elk, good luck!!

Schnees Granites. I have been using the uninsulated one for 4 years and ordered the 200 grams for this years for options. I have wide feet and high arches. These are by far the most comfortable boots I've ever had. 4-5 miles with 65lb pack no problem. Great side hilling as well.

Currently using crispi wild rock gtx400g. 2nd rifle in Co. they are Easy to break in, and very comfortable. Tried other boots before I bought. For me the kenetrek has a high arch and felt like a golf ball under my foot. Have a few pairs of danners for warmer weather. The only problem for me is the socks. Tried quite a few pairs and different weights. Assuming my Feet sweat because I have to wear a liner sock because feet get damp and then cold .

Kenetrek, I have 400 but 1000 are the warmest boot. I hunted elk in WY last year and my 400 were ok but there were a couple times I wished I had the warmer boot.