suggestion for Varget substitute

timotheius

I am new to reloading and need a recommendation about powder. From everything I have read and heard, it sounds like Varget is probably the best choice for my needs. I will primarily be reloading a .223, .243, and .308. However, I can't seem to find any Varget for sale anywhere....not in local shops or on the internet. Yes, gunbroker has it but after gouging, shipping, and hazmat fees it works out to about $50 a pound.

Is there a powder that is comparable or similar to Varget that you would recommend? What other powers would work well in .223, .243, and .308? Thanks.

I am new to reloading and need a recommendation about powder. From everything I have read and heard, it sounds like Varget is probably the best choice for my needs. I will primarily be reloading a .223, .243, and .308. However, I can't seem to find any Varget for sale anywhere....not in local shops or on the internet. Yes, gunbroker has it but after gouging, shipping, and hazmat fees it works out to about $50 a pound.

Is there a powder that is comparable or similar to Varget that you would recommend? What other powers would work well in .223, .243, and .308? Thanks.

H4895. You won't see peak velocities in .243, but you can develop accurate loads for all three.

H 380 is listed in the manuals as being capable in all 3 calibers. Maybe slightly slower burn rate than needed in the 223, but it will work.

4064 and Reloader-15 are both similar burn rate to Varget. IMR 4320 is also very similar in burn rate to Varget. There's also Norma 202, VV N140, WW748, and H BLC-2 that are in the proximity.

FWIW, IMO you are really limiting yourself by trying to use only one powder in 3 different guns. Ideally, I prefer something Varget or faster in 223, and something Varget or slower in the 243. Lets say Varget to 4831 in the 243/308 and Varget to H322 in the 223.

Best advice I can give is to go to the Hodgdon site and download a powder burn rate chart. Print that out and Use it when you're browsing through what's available.

Hope this helps and good luck.

I'll second H380 for all those caliber families but the 223 (with decent velocity and kinetic energy will require a compressed (drop tube) powder load. H380 is pretty readily available and meters well too (it's a spherical powder).

I just banged off 1000 308's with 165 Sierra's on the higher end of the load ladder on 7 pounds give or take.

My last 8 pounder came from Natchezz.

I have shot test loads with Varget in some of the calibers you mention and my results were dismal. Other loaders expressed the view that these results just weren't normal so I have some rounds loaded up with some more Varget to try again. I have seen excellent results with H4895 and IMR4064. We'll see......

IMR 8208 BR is a good substitute in all three. I use it in my 308 and get excellent accuracy. I mention it because you may find it available because it is relatively new and handloaders don't know much about it.

IMR 8208 XBR is Consistent in All Conditions

This short grain extruded rifle powder exhibits exceptional stability with virtually no change in velocity at temperatures ranging from -40 degrees F to 165+ degrees F. Lou Murdica, who helped develop this new powder, confirms that it is not temp-sensitive. Lou told us: "I have been shooting IMR 8208 XBR for over a year and I have done a lot of winning shooting it. One of the great things about this particular powder is, I always shoot the same load whether I shoot it in Florida or Phoenix AZ. I have never had to adjust for temperature or humidity." That's big news in the short-range BR game. Currently, most competitors must tailor their load to suit conditions.

link: Hodgdon Releases Impressive New IMR 8208 XBR Powder « Daily Bulletin

I've never loaded for 243 or 308 but I'll give the 4064 some great reviews. My 260 loves it!! Its def worth a try.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.