Suggestion for rangefinders

I'm just like the other ones here that prefer the Sig 2400ABS. It's the most compact, complete, thought-out range finder I own and use almost every time I have a rifle in the field. It's easily mounted to a tripod and you don't have to unscrew it to remove it for a quick hand hold.

Yep thanks for the info I called right too sick I was checking to make sure that was one of their rangefinders and I wasn't getting some counterfeit one but he sold me one right from the factory the box was open yes I have one on the way cost me 780 bucks I think it was

Hey, @loghome ! Sorry but don't understand, what is your pick finally? What is the fundamental difference between $1000+ rangefinders and frugal variants, like Vortex Impact?( thinking about it)
Thanks in advance
Brit

I got the sig abs2400 so far it's working great. I haven't had it out on a hunt yet. I bought it right from the sig. They had one there the box was open it wasn't used or anything can you give me a pretty good discount I got it for $780.

My dad got the vortex fury AB. We got ranges on free range cows out to about 1500y. I got readings on random trees and rocks over 2000y.
I have him one of my spare kestrels 5700s and it pairs up just fine, but I guess there is a vortex app that can be used too.

On the more budget minded side, I've gotten similar ranges with the leupold 2800. Probably further and in worst lighting. About the only thing leupolds done right, and it was built in China.

I have the Sig2400ab and the AB works fine. The rangefinder is meh. About as finicky as the vortex ranger 1800, which is what I use for bow hunting for a few years now.

I have both the BR2 and the SIG. Sig kicks the BR2s but when it comes to a ballistic solution. I haven't used my BR2 in a while, but if I recall correctly, you input wind in 5 mph increments; SIG is 1 mph and you enter using clock directions. SIG accounts for spin drift and aerodynamic jump; BR2 does not. BR2 is pure black, which if left in the sun heats up and shows temps higher than ambient (SIG has some black).

SIG does a terrible job in fog or snow; not sure how the BR2 does. SIG will range out far, but yesterday in bright sunlight I had to range several times to get a reading at 1180. Two other issues with the SIG: you can load unlimited ballistic profiles in your iPhone, but can only load four into the rangefinder. MAKE SURE you have the right profile. Not an issue when hunting, but I always shoot multiple rifles; in CO last month I missed my 24x24 gong completely - I was like ***?? Then I saw I had the wrong profile synched to my rangefinder. The other issue with the SIG that is sometimes frustrating is inputting your wind via iPhone and then synching. It sometimes doesn't sync, but you will know because your wind holdoff will be zero. You can input wind manually as well, and it is pretty fast unless you need to go down in wind speed from your previous - they you need to go all the way up to 40 mph before it goes back to zero on the toggle switch. Two switches would be infinitely better.

SIG is smaller than the BR2.

Like I said, I have both but the SIG is what I use now. When the Trijicon Ventus comes out, I will try that one, but it won't come cheap.
You might take a look at the new Sig that is coming out incorporated into a 10 X42 binocular that allows you to blue tooth to a new Sig scope that will automatically set your placement on the crosshairs. Now if someone will invent a cheap robot to pack me up mountains and my game back out. When does some of this technology cross the line and stop being called hunting equipment? When it actually can pull the trigger?

The Leica 2800.com is a Great option
As well. Either as stand alone unit or
Paired with a Kestrel 5700 Elite.
I just bought the 2800.com and so far it's everything I want. Haven't paired it with a kestrel yet but I was ranging all kinds of different objects including deer at over 1000 yards the other day. Fast and accurate . Call the guys at cameraland for the best deal and service .

I just went through this a couple months ago. I was gearing up for a single hunt, and hadn't previously been a long range shooter.

I studied the different models adnausium. I knew that I didnt want to pay for the very best, but I did want the ability to expand if I saw some success, so I used a "budget" buy-once-cry-once mentality. That way I didnt blow too much for one time use, but I spent enough that it was capable of anything that I saw myself doing in the future.

I ended up with a 2800.com. the ballistic app is a bit clunky if you have multiple rifles or loads, but it works perfectly. It didnt fail to range anything and I can pair it with a Kestrel later if I want ballistics past 1000yards. As a bonus, the glass is very good. I did more glassing with the fange finder than I did with my Nikon binos on that hunt.

The hunt was VERY successful and now I'm upgrading my rifle, so I would bet that ability to expand with a kestrel gets exercised.

I think it was a sound investment all the way around.

Steve

Last edited: