+suggested primers for 6.5 creedmoor reloading?

off the bat i am brand new to reloading having never done it before.

the rifle i use to hunt is in 6.5 creedmoor, it is a tikka t3x lite blued barrel.
i also own a tikka t3x tac a1 in 6.5 creedmoor but its to bulky to haul around in the woods. i use it as a range rifle to push my skills out farther.

hodgdon h4350 powder is what i have decided to use for this caliber....if you think its unwise please offer an alternative

whose primers should i use and whose bullets and bullet weight do you think would suit me?

i also have a large amount of 44 magnum brass used shot from a carbine used for pig and deer. do you think the 4350 powder is suitable for this cartridge and bullet?
As said before primers are tough to get so grab whatever you can for the CM and perhaps larger pistol magnum primer for the 44 mag. And get several load manauls if you can and read up during this glut in reloading components. In the long run you'll be doing yourself a huge favor. And IMHO the knowledge will save you money in the long run.

off the bat i am brand new to reloading having never done it before.

the rifle i use to hunt is in 6.5 creedmoor, it is a tikka t3x lite blued barrel.
i also own a tikka t3x tac a1 in 6.5 creedmoor but its to bulky to haul around in the woods. i use it as a range rifle to push my skills out farther.

hodgdon h4350 powder is what i have decided to use for this caliber....if you think its unwise please offer an alternative

whose primers should i use and whose bullets and bullet weight do you think would suit me?

i also have a large amount of 44 magnum brass used shot from a carbine used for pig and deer. do you think the 4350 powder is suitable for this cartridge and bullet?
Are your primer pockets large or small? Determine what size they are then go with any manufacturer you can find. I stick with CCI and Federal but have Winchester as well.
H4350 is a great powder for Rifles. My 44's I've stuck with H110! Read your reloading manuals for safety's sake Please! Then read them again just because!!! I've been reloading a lot of the same cartridges for decades and still double check notes or manuals on loads I know by heart. You can never be too safe, remember You are creating a controlled explosion a mere few inches from your face. Read Read Read Read try to get to a local range and talk to seasoned reloaders.
Remove any distractions while reloading as well. Phones and loading bench don't mix.

Primers are still hard to find. As many have suggested, use whatever rifle primer you can find for your 6.5 CM. However, never switch to a different primer without starting over on your load development. I have seen some scary stuff happen from people swapping primer brands or changing to magnum primers without starting low and working up a new load.

Primers are still hard to find. As many have suggested, use whatever rifle primer you can find for your 6.5 CM. However, never switch to a different primer without starting over on your load development. I have seen some scary stuff happen from people swapping primer brands or changing to magnum primers without starting low and working up a new load.
X2. Don't change anything without starting lower.

My dad never reloaded, so I had no previous experience too learn from. A vetinarian about 10 years older than I at the time got me into reloading. He is an experienced handloader he had the skills taught by his dad. That family are avid hunters. So getting close to someone with years of experience is a plus! Most of firearms are in AR platform, so powder choice might/could be different? DO NOT WATCH ONLINE VIDEOS ON HOW TOO it could be dangerous for your health!

Win L R primers are my first choice in my .270 Win , 308 and 30 -06 loadings. I use IMR 4350 and H 4831 , with those primers for Decades now. By two or three reloading manuals because sometimes they don't agree. Keep them at your neat ,clean , bench ready to use at all times.

Get some reloading handbooks - Hornady, Sierra, etc. and see what recommendations they have. They will give you powder and primer alternatives to use with their bullets. For example, I use Hornady 143g ELD-M with Alliant Rl17 powder and Federal primers - 210 or 210M depending on what I can get (note – I intentionally am NOT listing my powder load). IMHO if you do not have at least one reloading manual to go with your bullets, then you are taking chances. Als often said, never go by what specific someone recommends on the internet - learn for yourself and ALWAYS START low!

Definitely start with a reputable reloading manual, there are many but I'd choose a bigger name like Hornady and stick with what the book says. Reloading skills evolve with time, and like most things, the basic fundamentals are the cornerstone for safety and success. H4350 is the default powder for the 6.5cm and will work well, it is in no way to be used for .44 magnum. CCI or Federal Large Rifle Primers are good primers for the 6.5cm. Admitting that you're new to reloading was the best possible words you could've said, lot's to learn, be safe and start reading.
And don't just rely on one source for your reloading data. I have 2 hardbound manuals and two go-to sites on line. I look at the loads from 4 different sources. Sometimes I find discrepancies that are quite unnerving and require further investigation.

I use 143 grain ELD-X on top of H4350 with CCI 250 primers. Sub MOA groups and an SD of 7.
I used almost the exact same load. Then I ran out of the CCI250's and couldn't get them. So I substituted CCI200's. My SD increased but my groups tightened up. Go figure.

My greetings to a new member from the commonwealth.

Great start in asking for help. Load manuals from various manufactures are needed. In addition to providing specific load data, recommended loading procedures and precautions are provided. On-line loading data is available. Both load data and load procedures are to be found on the RamShot web site, recommended powders for both rifle and handgun are included. The on-line Hodgdon site has both rifle and handgun data.

A wide variety of powders and bullets are suitable for both 6.5 Creedmoor & .44 Mag. Upon looking at the data all sorts of loads may be made up. Sensible precautions are to never use any data from forums like this one without verification from established data sources. Other precautions would be to never ever use another shooter's handloaded ammo or to buy powder or primers from private sellers - ball powders like H414 & TiteGroup look very similar & using TiteGroup in a rifle would be catastrophic with potential for losing life, eye, or limb. Security sealing on many brands of powders is inadequate and instances of tampering or replacing powders then resealing using rubber cement to glue back seals paper seals have occurred.

We are now in a powder, primer & other component shortage & the best was to keep shooting is familiarity with everything suitable & then finding it. The .44 mag does not need to be loaded to max capacity with H110, like for pigs & deers, inspection of various manuals will show many milder target & small game loads (less recoil & blast).

Happy shooting !

Last edited: