Suggested Hunting Area for Wyoming Elk?

M1AShooter

A friend of mine is considering a Wyoming elk hunt for 2013 and needs to submit his application soon. Neither of us is familiar with the state so I'm wondering if anyone here knows a good area. I'm also wondering if western WY is seeing a loss of elk due to wolves, like Idaho and Montana??? Thanks for any info. :)

Is your buddy hunting on foot or by horseback and is he hunting bulls or cows? I normally hunt area 41/42, but there are a lot of hunters there, especially if you're on foot.
There are areas near Meeteetse that have very long seasons, but access can be difficult without horses until later in the season when it turns to cows only.
One thing to keep in mind with those areas near Yellowstone is that there are a lot of grizzlies, and the gunshot acts as a dinner bell to bring them in. I heard of a couple guys who got one with a bow this past fall and only got 2 quarters out before a griz found what was left.
I would imagine the wolves have had an impact, especially near the park, but they still have plenty of elk.

The first thing is to realize that if you don't have at least 1 Preference Point it will be tough to draw a bull tag almost anywhere, including the General tag that covers a lot of units unless you get lucky in the Special Draw that costs over $1000 to enter.

He had better start by researching the general areas in the state because thats all he has a shot of drawing this year. That and to start buying preference points. There are getting to be lots of elk in southeastern wyoming and southern wyoming as well. Western wyomings herds are lower but seemed to have leveled out for the time being but the terrain is much more unforgiving. Just depends upon what he is looking for.

WYOMING ELK APPLICATION DEADLINE IS JANUARY 31ST!!!

NEW FOR 2013 - ALL APPLICATIONS MUST BE DONE ON-LINE.​

REMEMBER: YOU MUST APPLY ON-LINE FOR YOUR ELK LICENSE FOR 2013. GO TO: https://gf.state.wy.us
If you don't have any points, you better start contacting some outfitters and, or the Game and fish to see if there is anything you can do.

He really needs to go into the draw odds on the G&F website to research what units have the best drawing odds in the random draw or special random draw because no PPs are used in those and there is always a chance he could get lucky and draw a tag in one of those. If he doesn't draw one this year, he at least needs to buy a PP for the drawing in 2014.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.