Suggest a caliber and cartridge for a LA 700 Rem Action....

Thanks fellas for the reading....

I like the 280 Rem AI some.... I will check what sort of 280 rem brass can be had.

That idea spurs me to think about 30 cal options.... Quality lapua brass 30-06 is available, and though not common, what about 30-06 AI? It has to be a little better than the original no doubt.....

For the folks that recommended less than .284, remember I'd like to build up to something that can do elk -- without causing guides to go insane...

And for the .338 ideas..... Well, guess I am a sissy. Just not going there.....

300 Win Mag is a real consideration too. Old school. Quality brass out there I think... Would need a different bolt face and magazine feed alterations though....

As for this being a "carry rifle" -- NOT. I have the sweetest little Tikka 6.5x55 that shoots quite well. I'd like to build a rig that one basically lugs into place and has some range. But not a sniper build -- or whatever it should be called. I like something that still looks like a hunting rifle......

Well, thanks. I'd welcome more ideas too. Happy Holidays.....

Nosler makes .280 AI brass already pre-formed. So, no need to fire-form .280 Rem brass.

Nosler Custom Reloading Brass 280 Ackley Improved 40-Degree Shoulder

Or you could buy some factory ammo and shoot it and get build up your brass supply that way, since it's fairly priced...

280 Remington Ackley Improved 40-Degree Shoulder- MidwayUSA

I have a .30-06 AI as well. :D It's built on a blueprinted Rem 700 with a 26" 1:12 twist barrel. WIth formed brass, Berger 185 VLD's, Fed 210M's, and IMR 7828 SSC I am pushing the 185's right at 2,950-3,000 fps muzzle velocity. It's a beast. And very mild on recoil. Also, with this setup, I am getting around a 93-97% burn, so it is also an extremely efficient cartridge, bore, powder, and barrel length combination.

If I were to build it all again, I would go with a 1:10 twist. That would be my only change to my .30-06 AI. But I got the barrel brand new in a trade from a buddy, and it was a heavy 26" .308 Win barrel, so I punched it out to .30-06 AI and never looked back. Awesome cartridge, and with modern powders and components and bullets, it is truly a big step in performance over the standard .30-06 Springfield cartridge. Back when Ackley built his first one to test, he was very limited to components and powders, so to him the improvements were not worth doing, but with modern powders, today, the AI really shines.

If I was going to do a wildcat on a standard bolt face in .30 caliber I would do a 300 Sherman. It's basically a 30-280 that is improved as much as possible. It should get you close to a 300wsm for performance. Custom dies are custom dies and both would have to be fireformed anyway.

You can buy Redding .30-06 AI dies already. I bought mine and had them in a couple days.

Here's the set I have... Redding Deluxe 3-Die Set 30-06 Springfield Ackley Improved 40-Degree

The 280 AI or 280 Sherman would be the best bet, I had a 30-06 rem 700 action and I had a 284 win barrel screwed on. That way I could get the 195's at mag length, but I have feeding problems with the 06 magazine mech as it is designed for the 06 case and the 284 case is thicker. Not Sure if you can get the 195's in the 280 to mag length.
The 284 and 284 improved (Shehane) would not have the powder capcity of a 280 imp or 280 Sherman.
a Strait 30-06 would work if you want to shoot a lot and don't want to burn the barrel throat out.. 1:10 twist using 215 Hybrids would work great.. But I'd still get the 280 imp if it was me.

For elk....35 Whelan and 9.3x62 are readily available in ammo and components. For wildcats...start with the 280 Ackley built for the Nosler specs, to use their ammo/brass) the 30.06 AI in a 24" bbl is a very good one (especially with todays newer powders as mentioned) 338/06 come to mind. Its a simple matter to have the Mod 700 converted to a magnum ( open bolt face, Mini 16 Extractor, new magazine follower) now you can go from the 257 Weatherby up to the 458 mags! :) The world is your oyster Pard! Enjoy!

Another vote for the 30-06. If you want to get a bit exotic do the AI version.

Only thing I will throw in, as the bullet maker in the group, is faster twist. Go 8" or 9" twist min. Will still work with conventional bullets but open up your world to the mono bullets that are currently avail and new ones coming.

I think my next personal rifle build will be a standard 30-06 in 24" barrel. I really do think it is the ultimate all around cartridge. Easy and effective.

Steve

6.5-06 A.I. Same bolt face as your 25-06 and brass should be easy to make from 30-06 or 25-06 and with the popularity of the 6.5mm cartridges lately the bullet selection is stellar and those darn 6.5 bullets are very slippery in flight. You wouldn't even need special dies just a 30-06 A.I. bushing die with a 6.5mm bushing.

Thanks fellas for the reading....

I like the 280 Rem AI some.... I will check what sort of 280 rem brass can be had.

That idea spurs me to think about 30 cal options.... Quality lapua brass 30-06 is available, and though not common, what about 30-06 AI? It has to be a little better than the original no doubt.....

For the folks that recommended less than .284, remember I'd like to build up to something that can do elk -- without causing guides to go insane...

And for the .338 ideas..... Well, guess I am a sissy. Just not going there.....

300 Win Mag is a real consideration too. Old school. Quality brass out there I think... Would need a different bolt face and magazine feed alterations though....

As for this being a "carry rifle" -- NOT. I have the sweetest little Tikka 6.5x55 that shoots quite well. I'd like to build a rig that one basically lugs into place and has some range. But not a sniper build -- or whatever it should be called. I like something that still looks like a hunting rifle......

Well, thanks. I'd welcome more ideas too. Happy Holidays.....

I know you had few suggestion from older posts about what to build using that 25-06. The 280AI,6.5x06AI was suggested before and it might help if you list what you don't like. You got poster thinking you never heard of those before. Or the post about building using 30-06 lapua brass.

I know you had few suggestion from older posts about what to build using that 25-06. The 280AI,6.5x06AI was suggested before and it might help if you list what you don't like. You got poster thinking you never heard of those before. Or the post about building using 30-06 lapua brass.

Yes, I have been torturing myself about this project for years. It falls away for a while, usually when I am satisfied about some other gun's performance. I had my little 6.5x55 Tikka shooting a 1/2" group last year. Got busy with life....

This fall, nothing is shooting well, inspite of the same components as last year. I need to shoot more I suppose. I get the bug in the fall and it usually wanes in later winter.

I was curious if there were new idea's out there. I've never liked the 6.5x06 since quality brass with correct headstamp is not available. Now, the 280AI idea, is looking better and better. I've been doing reading in my spare time these past couple days and I've not found many downsides, given that I am starting with a 06 class receiver. Some say even the 280 AI thing is un-needed.

Any opinions about Norma (would require fireforming for the AI) versus Nosler brass?

I was curious if there were new idea's out there. I've never liked the 6.5x06 since quality brass with correct headstamp is not available. Now, the 280AI idea, is looking better and better. I've been doing reading in my spare time these past couple days and I've not found many downsides, given that I am starting with a 06 class receiver. Some say even the 280 AI thing is un-needed.

Any opinions about Norma (would require fireforming for the AI) versus Nosler brass?

Bump for a Great Question.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.