Suggest a caliber and cartridge for a LA 700 Rem Action....

cdherman

OK, I have this old 700 BDL in 25-06. Never could get it to shoot well, but never sold it, as my Dad gave it to me.

I'd like to have a local place true the action, rebarrel to something else. I hand load, pretty experienced (only think I DON'T yet do, is anneal and turn necks). I'd be going with a heavy barrel, best grade I can find (Likely Bartlein), about 24-26" long. I'd like to use long heavy bullets, so a SA cartridge in the LA might be the way to go.

I'd like to get to 800 yards, eventually. Barrel life is nice. I have a good Leica 1600b and I am adept at setting up tables for long range shooting, so ultra flat shooting is not necessary.

Its long action. I have a 6.5x55, a 7MM SAUM already in other guns and don't want to mess with those cartridges. (FYI)

I'd like something I could theoretically use for game up to Elk, though perhaps not at 800 yards. So I'd guess 7mm or .308 caliber. Or??? Mostly I shoot whitetails. For Pronghorn, the 800 would be really nice.

I'd don't really agree with the anti-belted mag crowd, BUT quality brass selection is really important. Lapua or Norma are my first choices unless someone feels strongly otherwise and can convince me. And I just do not like a cartridge that I cannot get in the correct headstamp. So I'd like to avoid non-standard stuff...

I built the 7mm SAUM on a Savage action several years ago. Its was the "hot choice" then. And now I have never got to shoot as good as expected.

But I am happy to pursue the latest greatest... Or try something old and true. Suggestions and rationale are appreciated..... Thanks for indulging my Thanksgiving rumination.....

The easiest with magnum like performance would be the 280 Ackley due to the standard bolt face of the 25-06 action you have. You could sell the bolt, buy a PTG magnum (or another Remington), use a center feed extended Wyatt mag box and go to a 300wm. The center feed should work without feed rail modification. If you want to run a staggered feed the feed rails in the action would have to be modified for a magnum case.

I'm building a 7SAUM on a Savage right now so that was my first thought.
Since it's factory brass only it takes away many choices.
If you want to keep the 06 bolt it takes even more away.
280 comes to mind but you already have one.
It would be nice to AI anything in this class so if that's permissible then you open a few doors.
Since you have the small stuff covered I would look larger especially with elk and such on the plate.
So 30-06 boring, or 338-06 AI.
338-06AI brass is available and acording to some can be made to run a 250 at 2600 or so.
Holds close to 1500 in energy to 1k.
20 MOA to 850 or so.
Not a common choice but a LOT of power in a small package.
I would look into a brake lol.
You could also load it to run 160-185 stuff well over 3k for goats and deer and that shoots surprisingly flat and recoil would be low.
If you change bolt face it opens up a lot more possibilities but you should look at the stats on that rig 1st. It would do what you want very well, cost less and be super versatile and most likely a breeze to load for.

The easiest with magnum like performance would be the 280 Ackley due to the standard bolt face of the 25-06 action you have. You could sell the bolt, buy a PTG magnum (or another Remington), use a center feed extended Wyatt mag box and go to a 300wm. The center feed should work without feed rail modification. If you want to run a staggered feed the feed rails in the action would have to be modified for a magnum case.

+1 280 Ack

With a Remington LA being one of the longest, and a 30-06 bolt head you're all sorts of set for a 6.5-06 Ackley.
I really want one myself.. 140 VLD's at 3100 fps + would get you that magnum performance with light recoil.

Since you already have a 6.5 and 7 caliber, and elk could be in the mix, I would go with a 300 WM and 215 Berger or a 338 Edge and 300gr Berger EH or OTM.
Both will require a little bolt and rail work, but certainly doable.

Another vote for .280 Ackley Improved.

Or, since you already have a 6.5 and a 7mm... A .25-06 Ackley Improved 40º is a fun cartridge to shoot. Had mine since Feb 2014, and love it. Forming brass is easy, and it's a laser beam out to 500 with the Berger 115 VLD's.

Since you already have a 6.5 and 7 caliber, and elk could be in the mix, I would go with a 300 WM and 215 Berger or a 338 Edge and 300gr Berger EH or OTM.
Both will require a little bolt and rail work, but certainly doable.

The 338 is way more than you need for elk, I have a 338 RUM and the recoil is ridiculous in a carry weight rifle even with a brake. The 300 isn't a bad idea though..

The 338 is way more than you need for elk, I have a 338 RUM and the recoil is ridiculous in a carry weight rifle even with a brake. The 300 isn't a bad idea though..

There are a lot of people that would disagree with you, that have killed a lot of elk.
I personally carry a 7-300 WM and feel that is about as light as I want to go for elk, and shot placement would need to be spot on.

A 30.06 with the big bullets is a formidable weapon. Not new fancy or exotic in any way. However try to find a gun shop, department store, backwoods general store or gas station that sells ammo that doesn't carry 30.06. Look at the 178-215gn bullets for elk/long range and the 130-175 for goats and deer.
The reason it is still around is because it flat out works. Get a 10tw and be done

Thanks fellas for the reading....

I like the 280 Rem AI some.... I will check what sort of 280 rem brass can be had.

That idea spurs me to think about 30 cal options.... Quality lapua brass 30-06 is available, and though not common, what about 30-06 AI? It has to be a little better than the original no doubt.....

For the folks that recommended less than .284, remember I'd like to build up to something that can do elk -- without causing guides to go insane...

And for the .338 ideas..... Well, guess I am a sissy. Just not going there.....

300 Win Mag is a real consideration too. Old school. Quality brass out there I think... Would need a different bolt face and magazine feed alterations though....

As for this being a "carry rifle" -- NOT. I have the sweetest little Tikka 6.5x55 that shoots quite well. I'd like to build a rig that one basically lugs into place and has some range. But not a sniper build -- or whatever it should be called. I like something that still looks like a hunting rifle......

Well, thanks. I'd welcome more ideas too. Happy Holidays.....

As a 25-06 action, anything based on the ol' 30 caliber of 1906 (30-06) would be cost effective/easy. Going with a 30 caliber would give you 6.5, 7 and 30 cal. which would be a direction I gravitate to.

30-06AI would be how I would go with this one.

I believe you can launch the new 200.20x at around 2750 with long brass life from a 26" barrel.

You can a lot with that cartridge. Factory ammo will shoot. Hand loads will fit any niche you could think of, Elk, Whitetails, Speed Goats.

If I was going to do a wildcat on a standard bolt face in .30 caliber I would do a 300 Sherman. It's basically a 30-280 that is improved as much as possible. It should get you close to a 300wsm for performance. Custom dies are custom dies and both would have to be fireformed anyway.

I'm in the same boat and think I'm just going to go with the plain old 06. I grew up shooting one and at the end of the day there's nothing my wildcat chambers can do that it can't within reason. Not to mention the bucket of brass and 30 cal Bullets I already own for it..
The 280 or ai would be my next choice.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.