Sufficient scope/barrel clearance?

sambo3006

I picked up a Browning stainless stalker and consulted the Leupold website on ring height for the varixII 4-12x 40mm. Their site said that low rings would work. I usually use medium rings with this scope, but I thought that low rings would put it closer to the bore and make for better cheek placement on the straight comb stock.
I mounted it and I have the barest of clearances. Maybe a few hundredths of an inch between scope and barrel. It is as far forward as I want for eye relief. Just wanted to make sure that it wouldn't hurt the scope with a shock wave from the barrel or something. Shouln't be any barrel whip that close to the receiver.
Help me out, O Wise Men!

Sam

I'm no expert, but I think that as long as it's not touching you are good to go. I have a .243 with a scope mounted very low, and no problems.

take it for what it's worth....good luck

...put a sheet of paper and a sheet of carbon paper in the gap. Fire the rifle. If the carbon paper marks the paper, the scope is too low.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.