Successful Nanny Ibex - 680 yards

lilharcher

Made a $1,400 mistake on my New Mexico application this last year and drew a Nanny Ibex tag for Feb 13-21, 2021. Everything happens for a reason though and after the fact, couldn't be happier with the experience! Those Florida mountains are rugged and unless you are willing to make the trek to the top, this would have been an impossible hunt. Given what I was told as the lowest population in last 10 years, combined with moderate pressure, the Ibex were holding tight to the tippy top of the various peaks. Not to mention, these females (or immature Billy's under 15" inches) are about 60lbs, soaking wet.......so hitting that target, over 500 yards away (common), with a 10-15 mph cross breeze, across a canyon is VERY challenging. For any LR Hunter, I be this is one of the most challenging hunts in the lower 48. Again, if you can't do 1000 - 1500 vertical feet climb, in nasty, cactus ridden mountains, you have virtually no chance........I did 29,000 steps, or just under 14 miles before finally sealing the deal on my nanny, across a canyon, up on a cliff. This all went down on Thursday. Getting to my Nanny was a challenge and we had to trek down the mountain at dark with a head lamp.

Made 3 different stocks (up and down the mountain) before my successful kill, and unfortunately, required more than a few shots......again, hitting a small target past 600 yards with no way to get prone/comfortable makes for a difficult hunt. This hunt will test the best of em. Turns out, Steve Rinella (meat eater), has a nanny tag and will be hunting the same mountains next week. Look for this episode next year.....can't wait to hear his perspective, especially considering he has hunted all over NA.

Here are a few pics.....Btw, we saw 3x more Billys than Nannys. The first pic ( took after my nanny was down), is where I shot from.....the nanny I shot was on those black cliffs above the snow patch across the canyon, 680 yards away. Second pic is my buddy lowering down the ibex from the cliffs with rope. Wish I knew how to post a video, because I have a great one with a bunch of big Billy's......and a shot at a nanny 770 yards away that was 2-3" inches low, of what would have been an epic kill shot.

ECEA00E3-5624-4BAE-B9A7-369022A31A16.jpeg

D5936729-7DC8-447F-8FA3-72DF9634F286.jpeg

E6061269-3F67-4E04-967A-366F6946AEBA.jpeg

3E81D512-4186-4169-A039-B1B9DA692BBF.jpeg

Checked it in yesterday with NM F&G, and now entered into a Special draw for a Billy tag......found out they are giving away 5 Billy tags in this special draw.....only for those that have successfully checked in a Nanny (or immature Billy).......odds are really solid.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.