Successful kid on her first antelope hunt

dstark

My 12 year old daughter drew her first antelope tag in Idaho. A late doe hunt. We had a great couple of days crawling through the sage and bumping spooky goats, getting cactus in our hands and knees, and lobbing a few rounds at coyotes.
She had spent plenty of time practicing with her 243 over the summer and the BDC reticle matched her load near perfect (Federal fusion 95gr). 304 yards was as close as we were getting to this group of 6 antelope but they had no clue we were there. One shot from the shooting sticks dumped this doe in her tracks. I'm one proud dad, she's better at it than me!
Antelope1.jpg
Antelope2.jpg

That's fabulous! My dad took me hunting in 1965 and 1966, I kind o' remember it was. We saw nothing on either trip. I was 8 or 9. I wanted to carry my dad's 1946 M70. He asked me if I was sure about that. I said Yes. He put it onto my shoulder and I soldiered-on... for about 100 yards. That was it. Too heavy for a pusillanimous little punk like me...

Congrats to her and you nice pics. I look forward to hunting and shooting with my daughter ever year. I even enjoy the emotional rollercoaster she take me on, SOMETIMES!

My 12 year old daughter drew her first antelope tag in Idaho. A late doe hunt. We had a great couple of days crawling through the sage and bumping spooky goats, getting cactus in our hands and knees, and lobbing a few rounds at coyotes.
She had spent plenty of time practicing with her 243 over the summer and the BDC reticle matched her load near perfect (Federal fusion 95gr). 304 yards was as close as we were getting to this group of 6 antelope but they had no clue we were there. One shot from the shooting sticks dumped this doe in her tracks. I'm one proud dad, she's better at it than me!
View attachment 169527View attachment 169528
outstanding

Congrats to you a
Congrats to you and your daughter

Congratulations to both of you. She will remember this her entire life and tell this story over and over. Great job dad!

Great job team and what a dandy doe! I always love getting a fat doe like that. These memories of the big skies and the hunt will never be forgotten and I bet shooting/hunting will help to keep her straight thru the critical middle school times. cheers

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.