Successful Coues Deer Hunt

LVJ76

This year we didn't get drawn for deer and ended up with leftover tags in an area we hadn't hunted before. It's is beautiful country with very thick cover and hard to see animals moving around so glassing in some areas was pretty much useless.

Spent the whole weekend covering lots and lots of ground on foot and only saw does and fawns and had to almost step on them to spooke them out. Winds were 30 to 35 mph with wind gusts up to 50mph so most animals weren't moving much.

On Sunday we finally saw a buck at 900yds but with that wind we had to get closer and we did but eventually lost him when we were about 400 yds away.

Wednesday I was off and the forecast called for 5 to 10 mph winds and I said oh heck yeah, and decided to go back out and it sure paid off. Got on a forest road that we had been using to get to the hunting spots we had been hitting and at about half a mile down the road there he was at 280 yds standing broadside on the hill to the south of us. Got the 7mm Rem Mag with 168gr Berger Hybrids and put him to sleep. Not my biggest buck but still a nice one. It had a weird antler at the base, picture attached.

Wife sure was happy with some grilled ribs last night and a whole deer in the freezer.

Stay safe all

20201111_071220(1).jpg

20201111_074110.jpg

20201111_101555.jpg

Last edited:
Man that's awesome! There are quite a few of them in there. I'll have to put that one on my list next year. There's a spot we call the "deer crossing" north of Parker canyon.

There are a lot of deer in all that area, they are just hard to spot with all the oak, juniper and pinon trees. South of the lake and town is where we hunted, it's a little more open but full of hunters though.

It was a great experience to hunt that area.

Congrads,I have always wanted to hunt coues deer.It is on my to do list.

Thanks Kevin. They are fun and a challenge to hunt, we don't call them the gray ghost for nothing. Hope you get to hunt them on day, you wont regret it.

Nice work. Having moved to AZ in June I did not get a rifle tag. Will have my OTC archery tag for December looking forward to chasing these sleek looking little deer.

I recommend you do a good amount of scouting, usually if there is water and food you'll find deer, and be ready for some fun.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.