Substituting primers

grgohio

I have a question before I start testing loads. I use Winchester large rifle primers for a 45-70 load that works perfect. I'm almost out of those primers but I have a lot of the Federal 215M primers for my long range loads. Can I substitute the Federal magnum primers for the Winchester large rifle primers safely to test without adjusting my powder charge?
Thanks for your help.

I'm loading +P for sure. 42gr of RL7 compressed with a Beartooth 525gr Pile driver cast bullet.

That's probably my max load and if I tested the 215M primers I would probably load a few with maybe 40gr. to test them but I didn't know if that's a good starting point.

Though you didn't say you had any, you may be better off substituting LPM primers for your LRP. You're not shooting a trapdoor, are you?

I do it all the time just cut back 2 grains should be fine. It's funny I can buy magnum small pistol primers cheaper than the standard primers, so I just drop the powder charge its a win-win for me. I wouldn't suggest using the LPM as somebody suggested because the rifle primers have a thicker cup than the pistol.

I always start wit Federal 215 Magnum primers. That way when I reach pressure and accuracy I can start switching primers as the last part of the tune with out dropping back a grain.

Interesting thread, I'll add my .02! I shoot a couple of 7 mags and I'm currently working up a load for my friend's 6.5PRC. (Seeing early pressure signs) I have loaded multiple loads using LRP versus the mag primers.

I have chrono'd Mag vs. LRP and found no difference in this comparison. ES = ~15/20 FPS and the Mag primers didn't necessarily mean they were faster. Now, it might be different shooting in colder temperatures, but that's what I found over maybe 150 rounds or so.

Ever time I work up a new load I always try both primers. Primers used thus far .....FED215m, CCI250, and WIN LRP

Again, just my observation😀

I've used about every primer out there over the years. wlrm and 215 are so similar it's scary but the regular wlr is right between standard (say a fed 210 or cci 200) and mag.. It needed to be hot enough to light up ball powder in factory rounds so it isn't quite as mild. That said, I'd still drop a grain or two crossing over and tweak to the same vel. if going to a mag. primer.