Submitted form 1 *UPDATE: approved!!

ShootnMathews

Well I decided to roll the dice and file a form 1. I'd really like to build my own 22 LR suppressor but they are so dang picky these days. I guess I'll see what happens. Filed tonight and I'll update it down the road with the results. In the description I made it clear that I dont already have any parts or materials and won't be buying any until after I get approved, which seems to be key these days. We'll see how it goes. Wish me luck. Atf page says 40 day wait. If I get approved that quick I may be able to finish it before squirrel season.

BTW I'll add the main reason I decided to go ahead and file is I figured all they can do is reject it and refund my money, BUT when I was at my local gun store last week he and i inquired about eForms the suppressor guy there said they got an ATF letter a few weeks ago that said in June 1st at 12am they will start charging a fee for filing Form 1's. It did not say what the fee would be but it's not going to be free anymore. It's just another way the ATF is trying to discourage applicants or make it too expensive to be worth it.

Last edited:
If you provided anything that implies you'll be using a kit or premade parts or didn't provide 2 of the 3 pieces of information they ask for that aren't the name of a kit you'll be disapproved. I haven't had any problems getting approval on mine with a list of raw material suppliers and tools I use to make them.

If you provided anything that implies you'll be using a kit or premade parts or didn't provide 2 of the 3 pieces of information they ask for that aren't the name of a kit you'll be disapproved. I haven't had any problems getting approval on mine with a list of raw material suppliers and tools I use to make them.
I stated that I had not purchased any materials yet but after approved I would use aluminum tubing and round stock sourced from Amazon and machine on a lathe. So hopefully that's good enough. And I sent this pic.
91294BF7-993E-4D58-8FE0-4CE1ED9E11C2.jpeg

Last edited:
Awesome. Mind to share the details of your description and picture?
TBH I forget exactly what they asked for but it was a fairly vague request. It's been a couple years. If I recall correctly they asked for overall length, diameter, and bore size. I was expecting a request for a material list, blueprints, etc. I made up a serial number that I stamped into the suppressor after the build. Your serial# can be anything you want being as you are the manufacturer. The only thing is if you have more than one build by the same manufacturer (you) then they have to (obviously) be different serial numbers.

I made mine for a .40 cal glock. Its a monocore design that is very simple but suprisingly effective.

TBH I forget exactly what they asked for but it was a fairly vague request. It's been a couple years. If I recall correctly they asked for overall length, diameter, and bore size. I was expecting a request for a material list, blueprints, etc. I made up a serial number that I stamped into the suppressor after the build. Your serial# can be anything you want being as you are the manufacturer. The only thing is if you have more than one build by the same manufacturer (you) then they have to (obviously) be different serial numbers.

I made mine for a .40 cal glock. Its a monocore design that is very simple but suprisingly effective.
They made some changes to how they handle form 1 silencers about a year ago. You have to provide more information now, and the kits/solvent traps that used to be commonly used are now considered silencers before drilling.

I made it a whole two days before checking my email 😂😂😂 How do people do these long waits. My suppressor from the dealer probably won't go through until February or March if I'm lucky so I've kind of forgotten about that one but hopefully these will get approved in just a few weeks. Or hopefully it gets approved period.