Sub Sonic .223?

shorty

Anyone have a recipe for a .223 load going about 1000-1100 fps? Am trying to get a sub sonic round for pest control. Am guessing I will need to use some sort of filler material--kapok etc. Any help would be appreciated!

Shorty

What kind of pest controle are you doing ??
coons at 20yds or coyotes at 100yds??
just how quiet does it have to be??

I have a few suppressors and have found that they are well worth their cost and the one time tax of $200 per can is money well spent. My 308 shooting full house loads with 175gr SMK bullets and the report is not as loud as a 22 stinger round

Subsonic .223

Thanks for your replies, I have a .22lr that belongs to my son but it only has
open sights no weaver groove but I guess I could have it drilled and tapped.

I'm trying to keep our population of feral cat's,coon's, skunk's etc. from getting out of hand. I have been live trapping all summer and still have a few critter's that have become trap shy and very nocturnal. I am good enough to use a scoped rifle at night with a yard light on but sadly the eyebones have to many miles on them to use open sights anymore. I need to be fairly quiet due to the housing that has gone up around me in the last twenty five years. I like the idea of using a can but have gotten different stories as to the legality of supressors here in Iowa. I would gladly pay the 200 bucks tax to have one. All of this got me to the question of the quiet round for my .223. Thanks for the help, Shorty.

Blue Dot

I shoot 9.0 grains of Blue Dot in my Rock River Varminter. Not exactly sure what the velocity is, but it is an extremely quit load(40 grain Berger). I have read about hand loader's going with lower loads of BD, for an even more quit load. Blue Dot does not seem to be position sensitive. Subsonic is tough in the light caliber's.

I shoot 3.0 grains of Red Dot in my 45-70 1885 Browning. You can hear the hammer drop-noise is all but non-existant. Accuracy is good out to about 40 yards. I do not know what the velocity is, but it knocks squirrel's and crows dead out to 40 yards. I shoot a round ball with this load. I am going to work up a load with a 405 grain pill, I suspect it will take 4.0 grains to get acceptable accuracy. Tom.

Last edited:
I just bought my son a savage 22lr for 99 bucks. It has the hole already drilled with plugs in them. It is a bolt action, very accurate and quieter than my marlin semi auto.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.