sub moa accuracy of plain factory rifles stock

But from your ramarks im guessing you havent tried loading for one so i wouldnt be so sure of yourself ntghe cheapie bolts you can get to shoot.

By far and away a majority of the members that now own custom rifles on this forum began their hunting/shooting activities with multiple factory rifles. Been there and done that. You're largely singing to the choir... And lots have also spent many hours developing and fine tuning hand loaded ammunition to match the particular likes of their factory rifles.

I think there is no doubting the fact that the accuracy of factory rifles - on the whole - has improved since the late 1960s. I suspect that the biggest single factor in improved accuracy is the improvement of barrel quality over the past 50 years. Some of today's mass-produced hammer forged barrels shoot quite well, at low averaged production costs. The average production cost obviously drops with the mass of barrels being produced, even though the production machinery if frightfully expensive.

The price and accuracy of a rifle are just the tip of the iceberg. There is so much more too life. YMMV. I would take one quality rifle with a silky smooth- nice and tight bolt clean and crisp light triggered rifle over ten cheap sloppy **** rifles I don't care if they somehow shoot better than world record holders equipment.

EDIT; I didn't realize this thread is over 30 pages I didn't do my part to let it die. This thread should have been poked in the head with a coat hanger late term...

But from your ramarks im guessing you havent tried loading for one so i wouldnt be so sure of yourself ntghe cheapie bolts you can get to shoot.

I started out hand loading for 'factory' rifles . After awhile, wanting something better, usually in a chambering that the 'factories' don't chamber and with options not offered, I graduated to customs. God has only given me so much time on this earth. How much time, I don't know. None of us knows when their 'clock' runs out. As I've grown older, I've tried to use my "time" more wisely than I did when I was younger. That goes for quality rifles/firearms as well as quality discussions on internet forums. I won't waste anymore of my "time" on this thread.

You can't make this stuff up.......oh, wait, yeah, I guess you can.

Took 40 minutes to read, cheaper than going to the movies......

the 770 is a pile that i know it will shoot with tinkering loads for it but it was just one of the examples of a gun, people will swear that it cant do it well it can with that bieng said its my last choice of a factory gun if i had a choice for a factory gun howa makes a beutiful action that will easily shoot under .5 with a range of loads with the 4 different ones ive shot only thing i wish they had was a heavy barrel in 300 winmag could just get an aftermarket barrel though but i cant complain under 5 in groups at 1 k is great for that factory gun.gun):)

the 770 is a pile that i know it will shoot with tinkering loads for it but it was just one of the examples of a gun, people will swear that it cant do it well it can with that bieng said its my last choice of a factory gun if i had a choice for a factory gun howa makes a beutiful action that will easily shoot under .5 with a range of loads with the 4 different ones ive shot only thing i wish they had was a heavy barrel in 300 winmag could just get an aftermarket barrel though but i cant complain under 5 in groups at 1 k is great for that factory gun.gun):)

Cool. Are we done?

The rifle isn't a mystical or religious icon. If it CAN shoot well, putting a good scope on it makes very good sense. Even a Savage Axis that can shoot consistent sub-moa deserves a really good scope. After all it is just a tool for putting a bullet downrange just where you want it and an excellent scope will ably assist that. The game/target doesn't know nor care if you have a $15000 rifle with engraving by Roland Baptiste.
Putting a Schmidt and Bender on a Heym rifle that can't hit a flock of barns isn't going to put game in the pot.
My thoughts on factory rifles are mostly logic based as well as some experience with a variety of brands.
Manufacturers today have access to and mostly use high precision machines and standards are generally consistently higher than in the past. Final finish in some (CZ for example) is maybe not as good they were in the past due to the cost of the labour. All that said the fine details of a rifle that are required to deliver CONSISTENT minute groups cannot be guaranteed yet as no mass producer can dedicate enough manpower to see all those tiny factors covered without making their product uncompetitive. Accuracy International rifles are not expensive because of the name.
That said, I think that if you buy a new common rifle with a good reputation (Savage, Remington etc) and do some minor tune ups (bedding, smoothing the trigger, ensure barrel floating etc), consistent groups are possible. But I think it will still be luck that dictates whether you get 0.25 or just 0.8.

I'll add that you can reduce the odds by picking a rifle that has a flat based receiver, good recoil lug, a rigid stock with stiffening, heavy barrel and a trigger that can be worked.

Ok over the years I have bought alot of savages remington and howas in bolt action I have loaded them with the rite combo and always got submoa groups no problem shot them just as good as a 5000 dollar rig I know people dont like to hear it but its true granted a 5000 dollar rig is easier to take shooter error out of the equation I admit but if you do everyrhing the same on the way you hold rifle pressure you hold the rifle with its sweet load they all have shot sub moa easily for me anybody have same results granted i think 5000 dollar rig equals way more solid platform to deal with.
I have a Weatherby in .270wby that I won in a raffle on a $100 ticket. In the box with it was a target That displayed a three shot group measuring 0.6 inches at 100yds. Weatherby sent me info on the ammo they used, it was Weatherby factory ammo with a premium 130gr Nosler partition. I bought a box of those factory rounds and was able to duplicate that factory grouping repeatedly. I burned up a lot of components trying to duplicate that load but never did. Best I got was just under 1 inch. It has killed a lot of game, 1 shot kills. At the time that rifle sold for $685, far from custom still about twice as much as a comparable Rem model 700.