Sub 6 pound 1000 yard rifle?

The zero stop on the z5 is resetable for whatever range you sight it in.

Thank you I do understand that. Unless I misunderstand the zero stop does only allow 13 approx MOA in a single turn. It should give the full turn unless the approx 55 MOA total adjustment is used up based on your rifle/mount combo. I don't know if that ever occurs in the real world but in theory you could set up a rifle where it's zeroed 5 MOA from the max adjustment in which case a canted base would be required to allow the one full revolution to be possible.

Thank you I do understand that. Unless I misunderstand the zero stop does only allow 13 approx MOA in a single turn. It should give the full turn unless the approx 55 MOA total adjustment is used up based on your rifle/mount combo. I don't know if that ever occurs in the real world but in theory you could set up a rifle where it's zeroed 5 MOA from the max adjustment in which case a canted base would be required to allow the one full revolution to be possible.

I think the 'smith did something wrong when installing the barrel. The previous barrel allowed me to use Talley lightweights. This barrel required me to use Burris Signatures and install plus "20" on one side and minus "20" on the other side to get the reticle back even close to center. I guess one could use the minus "20 in the bottom and the plus "20" in the top and get lots of angle without using the adjustment in the scope. In fact if one reversed that in the rear, they could double the slant of the angle.

Most any centerfire (and some rimfires) will go 1000 yards no issue. It's what happens at 1000 yards thats important.

There is just no way you can build or have built a sub 6 pound rifle thats consistently accurate and has clean kill power at 1000 yards. Don't matter how deep your wallet is.

Beg to differ sir: titanium short action (19oz) in 6.5 SAUM, proof sendero light barrel , manners carbon stock = 5 lbs 14 oz, (w/o scope)...shoots well inside 8" at 1000 yds with more downrange ft lbs of energy that a 300 Win mag.

Others have already covered the specifics and skills needed to shoot a 1000 yards at game animals so I want talk about that except to say, If you are going to take any animal larger than a ground hog at distances out to a thousand yards ethically there are only a hand full of cartridges out there capable of doing it in less than a second and delivering enough energy to get the job done right and none of them will be fun to shoot or very accurate in a 6lbs gun. IMHO. They are 26 Nosler, 28 Nosler, 7SAUM, 7mm Remington Mag, 300 Win Mag, 300 Weatherby, 30-378 WBY, 300 Norma Mag, 338-378 Weatherby, 338 Lapua and any of the RUM mags (7mm, 300, 338). I am sure there are others but you get the point. The SAUM, Rem Mag and Win Mag are negligible at that distance but would be my minimums.

As far as the rifle goes I am not aware of any factory offerings in those calibers under 6lbs. If money is no matter? I would build a full on custom with a carbon fiber barrel. It is about the only way to get there. The Sako 85 carbon lite is an excellent rifle but I don't think it is available in a magnum cartridge. Terminus and Curtis build some light weight actions. You might start there.

As far as the scope goes? Leupold VX5HD CDS 3-15x44 with HTMR reticle if you can find one.

Last edited: