Sub 6 pound 1000 yard rifle?

Does the mark ar scope in 4-12 have parallax adjustment? The specs I've seen haven't indicated one way or another. Is parallax adjustment needed? I know if the cheek weld is off the error at 1000 on a 40mm scope can be large, but is it really a problem in the real world? One scope which is about double the weight of vx2 3-9x33 ultralight is vortex razor hd lh 3-15 at about 16 ounces. It has parallax adjust and probably decent glass and decent magnification.

I also forgot to mention I have to shoot lead free bullets which removes some of the good bullets.

Pontoon,

Yes, it is an adjustable objective like the vx 2 line in the same power ranges. I may upgrade to a 4.5-14 vx 3 with side focus, and give up a couple ounces. I had 3 different scopes on it, and really didn't expect the little Leopold to make the cut. But it tracked up and down the scale as flawless as either of the slightly heavier zeiss scopes I had on it. The mark ar series only comes in mils, but my brain will work either way. And it was cheap!

Tom

This might be a stupid question but if I'm building an ultralight rifle, is it possible and would I benefit from making it have no magazine and no safety? Basically the idea would be that the rifle should only be loaded right before it's time to shoot? This way I could use an incredibly light trigger pull and not worry about an accidental fire because it would never have a round in it. I read either in this thread or elsewhere that one secret to a lightweight gun being accurate is to have a light weight trigger pull. Who makes the lightest physical weight trigger?

Also are these all the parts needed to make a custom rifle?

Name ....................................................................Cost....Weight ounces
Pierce Titanium Short Action....................................1335...17.25
McMillan Hunter's Edge Hastings Microcell recoil pad...636.....21
Proof Sendero Light 26" .264...................................900....49.6
Jewel trigger.........................................................200.....2 Guesstimate
Remington ADL trigger guard...................................30.......0.33
Vais brake stainless................................................120......1.6 Guesstimate

$3,221 5.63625 lbs

Last edited:
pontoon,

You can usually cut at least three ounces by using a Hastings Microcell recoil pad. Mine is 1.26" and weighs 2.9 ounces. They have them clear down to 1/2". That might be an ounce and a half.

This might be a stupid question but if I'm building an ultralight rifle, is it possible and would I benefit from making it have no magazine and no safety?

No safety is not safe in a hunting rifle. You are talking and ounce or less in weight. Your hunting buddies life is more important than that and probably yours too.

Some of the best triggers are Jewell. You can adjust them down to a couple of ounces pull weight. I have one set very light on a long range rifle. It also has a safety. Jewells are safe triggers but can fire if you accidently hit the trigger just right when closing the bolt. I always apply the safety before I close the bold with a round in it just for this scenario. You also may find a situation when you are not actually ready to fire and a round is in the chamber. Maybe you have to move your rear bag or scope or something. That can get a little dangerous on a rifle with a hair trigger. The safety never comes off on my rifle until I am just about to pull the trigger. Releasing the safety is the absolute last thing I do before pulling the trigger.

Also, a super light trigger is not that great on a rifle that will be carried for general hunting.

pontoon,

You can usually cut at least three ounces by using a Hastings Microcell recoil pad. Mine is 1.26" and weighs 2.9 ounces. They have them clear down to 1/2". That might be an ounce and a half.

Great tip thanks! Does it work well?

Barrelnut I will keep the safety then.

And that's in 6.5 SAUM? That FPS is insane! I didn't know it went that high. I was planning to wait a year or two since the 370 is pretty good but maybe I won't wait if the performance is so good.

I attached here a 1000 yard ladder test from this morning with the 143 eld-X. The little girl looks like it will shoot those too. Amazing how well they work just laying on their own if you keep the powder capacity down.

Tom

Attachments

• 2016-01-29 10.46.12.jpg
    2016-01-29 10.46.12.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 111
........... but you may need to abandon the talleys and get some cant in your base.

FYI, Bruce Talley will make cant rings on special order....

Who is Bruce Talley? I'm trying to find canted rings for the Kimber 84L and struggling big time!

I tried contacting Talley Manufacturing Inc under the assumption that Bruce Talley did or does work there, but I was told they don't make canted rings (I did inquire about a special order). I would pay extra if I could get alloy rings like Talleys with 20 MOA.

Last edited:
I contacted Talley about this a couple weeks ago for my Borden action and here was their response:

"We do not produce that ring with 20 MOA, but I can refer you to a gunsmith
in WA that cuts MOA into our lightweight mounts. His name is Jeremy, and can
be reached at 360-580-3502."

They might do it for other actions? Either way it looks like the gunsmith they referred could do it.

I contacted Talley about this a couple weeks ago for my Borden action and here was their response:

They might do it for other actions? Either way it looks like the gunsmith they referred could do it.

Did you contact Borden,they do a 25 moa talley type ring set but they only have 30mm ones listed.

Thanks!!!

Did you contact Borden,they do a 25 moa talley type ring set but they only have 30mm ones listed.

I did see that Jim now offers a lightweight ring in 20 moa, not sure I want to drop that much $ right now. I can dial to 40 MOA with my current setup and that's plenty.