Votes: 26 43.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

BlackSS

On my list currently are:
Bushnell Elite 6500 Tactical 2.5 x 16 - 42
Burris XTR 4 x 16 - 50
Nikon Monarch X 4 x 16 - 50

Please choose your choice and explain why, if you have another option please explain. Does Leopuld have a scope at this price point?

FYI, this will be going on a heavy barrel 25.06 for medium sized game, varmint, target, shooting steel...

Last edited:
My vote goes to the Vortex PST/ Viper series, and the Sightron SIII. Both these scopes provide ample vertical adjustment. Both are well under $1000 and provide very good quality that is comparable to higher end scopes. The Burris XTR gets really fuzzy on the edge even at close range. The Monarch has 30MOA claimed by factory which is not enough for most rifle to really reach out. It would be a good scope depending on the caliber. If you shoot a laser or a .338 cannon then 30 MOA would be enough to about 1100yrds+. That is not counting the minutes you are going to use up sighting it in.

Other options for under $300 would be the Nikon Buckmaster Series and the Vortex Crossfire. Both have excellent lens quality for the price and the Crossfire offers 120MOA of adjustment. The Nikon Buckmaster set up properly can give you 50MOA (I own 2 of them and they work well).

Tank

Of course my favorite is my Nightforce but for under $1000 I'd pick the Zeiss Conquest with the Rapid Z reticle. I don't own any of the scopes you listed so I can't say but everyone that looks through one of my Zeiss always says something about how clear it is.

The Nikon has 50 moa internal adjustment according to their web page. Is that inaccurate?

The Nikon has 50 moa internal adjustment according to their web page. Is that inaccurate?

They may have changed it for the new year. The last time I looked there was only 30. We could be looking at two different Monarchs. If it does have 50 then that would be one of my picks also.

Tank

I am looking at the Monarch "X" line, I believe it used to be called the tactical line, but they've changed it.

The Vortex PST that someone mentioned above does look very nice. My concern with that is that it is so new it does not seem like many have used it. This will be the only scope I purchase for quite a while and I want something that is tried and true, not the newest thing on the market. I'm not particularly familiar with Vortex, have they been around long?

I am looking at the Monarch "X" line, I believe it used to be called the tactical line, but they've changed it.

The Vortex PST that someone mentioned above does look very nice. My concern with that is that it is so new it does not seem like many have used it. This will be the only scope I purchase for quite a while and I want something that is tried and true, not the newest thing on the market. I'm not particularly familiar with Vortex, have they been around long?

I can't tell you how long they have been around, but I know it has been at least 2+ years. A lot of guys have been buying them with No complaints that I know of. The PST is one of their newest models for 2010 and has been highly anticipated. My next long range scope will more than likely be the Vortex with the ballistic reticule or the target dot. You could only do better in my opinion with a top grade MK IV Leupold or a Night Force. If I'm not mistaken, Vortex offers a lifetime warranty. Scott Barrish of Liberty optics has said that their customer service is very good.

If you were looking at the X series then we were looking at two different models. Their tactical scopes are of better quality than the normal Monarch. If that is the model you are seeking, then definitely worth the coin. I will say that Nikon customer service is top notch. They were able to replace my one scope and get it back in time for me to go on a hunting trip.

Tank

I try to stay away from second focal plane scopes.

My (unofficial) Vote for sub $1000 scope is:

-Vortex Viper FFP(4-16x & 6-24x)($900-$1000)

Second Vote is:

-Horus Vision raptor model (4-16x) ($850)

Haven't got the Viper yet but the warranty is just unbeatable. Horus warranty is short and I got its Raptor model. Its been repeatable, taken abuse, hasn't let me down during snow/rain storms and nice for quick second shots. But again the Viper FFP is really attractive cause the reticle is simple and has an illuminator that is nice for dark terrain.

Both of them are the only front focal plane scopes with adjustable elevation in that price range.

Last edited:
I was assuming that all of the scopes in this price range have first focal plane reticles. Is that wrong?

I'd go either Vortex Viper PST or Sightron SIII. Haven't owned a Vortex yet as they are still pretty new (especially their new scopes, will probably hold off on one of those until they have proven themselves...regardless of warranty). Will probably own one some day though as they have seemed to make their mark as a great buy for the money.

Have had two Sightron SIIIs, an 8-32 and 6-24, and both have tracked perfectly and have had great glass for the money.

I also have got a USO ST-10, which can come in at less than $1K depending on options.

I was assuming that all of the scopes in this price range have first focal plane reticles. Is that wrong?

The Vortex PST is an FFP and the Sightron SIII I believe has an FFP option for under $1000. I think the Nikon X is an FFP also. The Phantom Menace was mentioned on another thread. This would be a great optic if you can find them. They go like hot cakes. I would stay away from the 6500 Elite unless you can find an older one. I read an article on 6mmBR.com that Bushnell's quality control has drop drastically. I think there was something about a take over or something.

Tank

From everything that I have read, Vortex is really offering outstanding quality and price. The PST FFP scopes look like they will be great given the company's past products and their commitment to excellence both in terms of optics and customer service. If I were buying my cash would be on the PST FFP scopes in that price range. As soon as they are finally released, I might come up with a reason to buy one!
Nothing against any of the scopes that you mentioned, but for my money, the bigger companies seem to lag behind the cutting edge companies in their middle to lower end scopes. They realize that many people are going to buy their products based upon "comfort" with the brand name. Again not that these scopes are not good, but they are rarely as good as the specialty companies that are carving out niches and word of mouth endorsements.

Last edited:
The Nikon is leading the pack in my eyes.
The Vortex may be great, and they may have great customer service and the warranty looks great. But... they are a newer and definitely a smaller company, who knows if they will survive long enough to honor a warranty 10 years from now.

The Nikon is leading the pack in my eyes.
The Vortex may be great, and they may have great customer service and the warranty looks great. But... they are a newer and definitely a smaller company, who knows if they will survive long enough to honor a warranty 10 years from now.

Given the impact that they have had on the shooting market over the past two years, I would say that they are on the fast track to stardom. I own a Nikon Monarch, Nikon digital cameras and lenses too. I am not against Nikon, just see the benefit of a great young company like Vortex that is doing everything right and reaping the rewards of their efforts :) If the PST is half the scope that their Viper is, it will be a very tough act for any company to over take in these price ranges. Good luck what ever you decide.
Look around these forums at what people are using. Look at the Sniper's Hide forums and other professional forums. Small niche companies dominate for a reason. They offer superior performance, operation and build quality for the dollars spent. Vortex is not a flash in the pan optics company. They are well ran, great market strategy and they are listening to their customer desires.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.