Sub $1000 rifle option

The second Bergara I bought (which will be the last) had rust in the barrel from the factory. Picked it up, ran a scope down it, rusted and pitted mess. So, I recommend a hard pass there.

When I went through this with my first rifle I thought about paying them to rebarrel to one of their stainless tubes, but with Preferred making coned bolt prefits..... nah.

I only bought the second one because I didn't scope the first Bergara I bought when I first bought it. When I did scope it after a couple months the bore was destroyed, a rusted and pitted mess. Bergara basically said tough luck, their "accuracy guarantee" applies, but if they can make it shoot an inch at 100 yards I'm on my own.

I was willing to pay another $800 to prove that their barrels come rusted from the factory, and now I get to tell everyone that fact. If they had coughed up a re-barrel I would probably be singing their praises, but no - I'm two for two on rusted barrels from Bergara.

They're just truck guns, not worth a nickel more than a Wal Mart special Axis II.

Last edited:
I'm glad you Tikka fans are happy with your T3's. I sold mine to a friend at Deer Camp who handloads, so maybe he can get it to shoot. But maybe it needs a recrowning or something. I know that the stock isn't the problem.

One of the posts above mentions the Tikka Veil 6.5 CM ($1200) getting 1/4 MOA. Now that's more to my liking, but my particular T3 wouldn't do it.

My Sauer 100 6.5 CM is repeatedly getting 1/4 MOA or sometimes even smaller groups. It is so accurate, I don't bother to shoot it at 100 yards anymore because it is always one hole and you can't see the difference between different loads and ammos unless you shoot it at 200 yards or farther.

The Sauer weighs 6.7 lbs. Tikka Veil 6.6 lbs.

I'll take that extra ounce and the $400 any day.

People, EITHER,.. LOVE or, Hate,.. Tikka's !
We HAVE, 4,.. "good one's" in,.. .243 Win, 7mm-08, .270 WSM, and 6.5 Creedmoor !
BUT,. We carefully, Hand load, Tune up Rifle's ( Polish Barrels with, JB's ) and "Break in" Barrels, carefully, Assemble with, Torque wrenches, Using ONLY Steel Recoil Lugs, Check the Free Float clearence, add, and adjust, YoDave or Elay Precision, Trigger Springs, Lap and Loctite Rings and Bases, Use quality, Scopes, etc.
And add, home made Kydex, Cheek Rests to, the Factory, Plastic stocks to produce,.. GOOD, "Cheek Weld".
Tikka's, have quite a Bit of, "Free Bore" and we've found that, Secant Ogive Bullets at, SAMMI COAL'S usually to Magazine Length, work well, jumping Bullets around, .100 to .140 seem to, shoot, pretty good !

Last edited:
Looking to purchase a gun for my fathers 70th birthday in December. I'm looking to say under $1,000 (just for the rifle). I have looked at Tikka, Winchester, Kimber, Savage, Montana Rifle Company, Weatherby...all online thus far and they all ranged between $700-1000. Obviously will be going to gun shops to handle them all but looking for some firsthand advice from the group. What you like or do not like about any gun in that range, even ones I haven't mentioned. I'm looking for a "lighter" gun probably in a 6.5 Creedmoor (something he has talked about getting for a few years) to use mainly on whitetail deer and the occasional out west big game animals as well.

Thanks in advance
Like the others have said you're a good son and this is sooo cooool! If you can recall any rifle your Dad favored that would be the best surprise. But you could take your Dad out to the gun stores just to play with rifles. The danger is he may pick a $2k rifle lol. Honestly I think he'll be tickled pink with whatever you get him. A close friend once said " There is something special about getting a rifle.". It's something his uncle told him and I believe that rings true.

People, EITHER,.. LOVE or, Hate,.. Tikka's !
We HAVE, 4,.. "good one's" in,.. .243 Win, 7mm-08, .270 WSM, and 6.5 Creedmoor !
BUT,. We carefully, Hand load, Tune up Rifle's ( Polish Barrels with, JB's ) and "Break in" Barrels, carefully, Assemble with, Torque wrenches, Using ONLY Steel Recoil Lugs, Check the Free Float clearence, add, and adjust, YoDave or Elay Precision, Trigger Springs, Lap and Loctite Rings and Bases, Use quality, Scopes, etc.
And add, home made Kydex, Cheek Rests to, the Factory, Plastic stocks to produce,.. GOOD, "Cheek Weld".
Tikka's, have quite a Bit of, "Free Bore" and we've found that, Secant Ogive Bullets at, SAMMI COAL'S usually to Magazine Length, work well, jumping Bullets around, .100 to .140 seem to, shoot, pretty good !
Like you I installed a kydex cheek rest, good scope and hand load for my 243 Winchester. It shoots Winchester SuperX 80gr and 100gr very well also. The guns are light, have a somewhat decent trigger and the action is slicker than baby poop on a kitchen floor.

Looking to purchase a gun for my fathers 70th birthday in December. I'm looking to say under $1,000 (just for the rifle). I have looked at Tikka, Winchester, Kimber, Savage, Montana Rifle Company, Weatherby...all online thus far and they all ranged between $700-1000. Obviously will be going to gun shops to handle them all but looking for some firsthand advice from the group. What you like or do not like about any gun in that range, even ones I haven't mentioned. I'm looking for a "lighter" gun probably in a 6.5 Creedmoor (something he has talked about getting for a few years) to use mainly on whitetail deer and the occasional out west big game animals as well.

Thanks in advance
Vanguard and bergara I have both although they both are a mite heavy !!

Correction to, Post #45,.. I meant to say, Bullets with, a TANGENT Ogive, NOT,.. secant !
One LAST Comment on this subject from, me,..
You can Buy & put together, 3 Tikka's with, reasonably Priced Scopes on them ( Burris' ? ) for, the price of,.. ONE,.. "Custom" Rifle !

Last edited:
I have personally sighted in 4 tikka's and all have performed very well. Some so well that I offered to purchase them from the owner. None of these were using loads that were tuned to the rifle and all printed hunting loads into 3/4 MOA or better. Three were 300 WSM's and the other was a 7-08. The action is very stiff due to the small ejection port opening and fairly smooth. The stock although functional is not what I prefer on my rifles, but it gets the job done. These rifles are very light and are a handful when chambered for 300WSM. In this price range, they are hard to beat.

Yeah, but why settle for 3/4 MOA or even half MOA when you can have this at 300 yards out of the box with no barrel lapping or rebedding . Hornady ammo, 6.5 CM . Mauser M18 with the same Sauer action, barrel and unique bedding. $429. PRICE on these and Sauer 100 is going up fast. I now have 3 of these rifles.

Attachments

• IMG_20201107_153319900_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20201107_153319900_HDR.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 52
Have a real seriously look at the B14 Bergara series and Tikka T3x model.
I have both. Great shooters, smooth actions, all for around that $800-1100. All can be had in 6.5CM.

Recent Posts