Sub $1000 rifle option

Help him not fall in the $300 accurate rifle trap. There are so many folks buying $300-$500 rifles and then want a full accurizing. Those are generally buy and shoot rifles. Some shoot quite well for a few rounds.

Weatherby/Howa, Winchester 70, Weatherby, Ruger Hawkeye, Tikka, Bergara and a few others are making some great factory rifles.

I have a Tikka in .243 and have used a friends Tikka in .308 for many successful hunts. I don't love the plastic magazine & the stocks are el-cheapo, but man do they ever shoot. The Kimber is a nice rifle too & I'm a big fan of the action & 3-position safety.
Would you ever consider upgrading the el-cheapo stock on the tikka for an aluminum chassis?

Looking to purchase a gun for my fathers 70th birthday in December. I'm looking to say under $1,000 (just for the rifle). I have looked at Tikka, Winchester, Kimber, Savage, Montana Rifle Company, Weatherby...all online thus far and they all ranged between $700-1000. Obviously will be going to gun shops to handle them all but looking for some firsthand advice from the group. What you like or do not like about any gun in that range, even ones I haven't mentioned. I'm looking for a "lighter" gun probably in a 6.5 Creedmoor (something he has talked about getting for a few years) to use mainly on whitetail deer and the occasional out west big game animals as well.

Thanks in advance
I love my weatherby .

I couldn't wait to get rid of my tikka t3 lite..stainless steel...haha
Rust buckets.....
I too am glad to be rid of my Tikka T3 Hunter. Replaced it with a Sauer 100 Classic and it is wonderful. It shoots every ammo I put in it way better than MOA.

I paid $800 for mine and it shoots like I paid $4,000.

I have been, a Gunsmith for 30 Years and can afford to "Build" anything, I want,..
I just bought, my 3rd Tikka, a T-3X, Lite SS, "Lefty", in 6.5 "Needmore" for a all around, Deer, Antelope, Coyote and steel Plate,.. FUN Gun !
4 total, in the Family now and ALL shoot,.. sub 1/2 MOA !
Just carried, my, older .270 WSM Tikka, T-3 Lite, up some Idaho Mountains and dropped an Elk on Sunday morning with, a high shoulder shot, DRT, using a 140 Berger Classic Hunter. THEY,.. "get IT,. Done" IF, you know how to, "Tune one up" and,.. Handload for, them ( Do some Research )
Absolutely THE BEST,.. $800.00 Rifle, out there and the 6.5 Creedmoor, would be PERFECT for your Dad ( I'm 74 and that's WHAT, I bought ).
BEST sub 8 Pound Rifle ( scoped and "all up" ) for, the Money ! AVOID anything over 7mm Mag / .270 WSM, UNLESS you LIKE,. "Recoil" or Brakes !
WISH that, I had Stock, in the Company !

Last edited:
Bergara hunter or tikka T3x is what I'd be looking at myself. Own 2 Bergaras and really like them.

I'll go with the Tikka also. I have a lite in 243 Winchester I load for that shoots very well. Lightweight so you can carry it with ease. I'm busted up really bad. Shrapnel all up and down my spine. The Tikka lite 243 Winchester and a Benelli Montefeltro 20 gauge. Both light, accurate, low recoil. Easier on the back, shoulder and leg's.

Weatherby Vanguard or Howa...look no further!😁
+1 on the Vanguard/Howa. The one thing they do well is. Make people that spent $3000 on a rifle wonder why they did after they shoot yours.
Also. Steer clear of the MRC X2 they had barrel problems and are also bankrupt now... as of 2020. I hear the X3s took care of the problem, but again they are not in business anymore.

I'd really take a look at some of the wood stocked weatherby offerings. My brother has a classic and it's very accurate and really looks good. It's actually the one I'm shooting in the picture doing load work for him

I think Tikka is the way to go. I have a Tikka T3x in 6.5 and couldn't be happier with it for an off the shelf gun. No problem hitting gophers well beyond 300 yards. The gun really likes the Hornady precision hunter ELDX if you want to stay with factory ammo. I do think getting a custom stock would really step it up a notch though. About the only other option I would consider for a light weight hunting rifle would be Kimber. I don't personally have one but like how they feel.

Another vote for the Tikka. But I would spend the extra $$ and get the lite veil model. Upgraded stock so you won't need to change it out, cerakote, fluted bolt and barrel, muzzle brake included. I already had several tikkas but hadn't shot them much lately, because I was shooting custom rifles. I was at the range with my father in law last spring and shot his lite veil in 6.5 cm. Shot a .25" group using factory Ammo (Hornady precision hunter). I had to break down and get one a few months ago, and it shoots pretty much the same - if a 3 shot group is over a half moa, I know it was probably me that screwed up. My business partner just bought the same gun after seeing how mine shoots, and guess what - it's pretty much a half inch gun as well. My other tikkas all shoot well - almost always under 1moa- but all 3 lite veils I've shot were even better. And they look good, too! :)

I would go with Tikka also. I have a Roughtech, and I'm very happy with it. I may be in the minority on this, but I like the stock on this rifle. It is a stiff plastic composite, and it is still modular, making it easy to change out your grip on the forend and on the trigger. Mine is a 7 mm Remington magnum, it has a fluted barrel, fluted bolt, threaded muzzle, and only weighs 7 pounds. I've shot quite a few Tikka's and liked all of them, when I bought mine, it didn't disappoint, it is one of the most accurate hunting rifles I've ever owned.