Sub $1000 rifle option

You should think about having your father handle those rifles for fit before settling on one.
AMEN to having your dad handle the rifle you'd like him to enjoy! If he missed with your top pick, me thinks you'd be disenchanted as much as you would be.

I have a Tikka in .243 and have used a friends Tikka in .308 for many successful hunts. I don't love the plastic magazine & the stocks are el-cheapo, but man do they ever shoot. The Kimber is a nice rifle too & I'm a big fan of the action & 3-position safety.

Looking to purchase a gun for my fathers 70th birthday in December. I'm looking to say under $1,000 (just for the rifle). I have looked at Tikka, Winchester, Kimber, Savage, Montana Rifle Company, Weatherby...all online thus far and they all ranged between $700-1000. Obviously will be going to gun shops to handle them all but looking for some firsthand advice from the group. What you like or do not like about any gun in that range, even ones I haven't mentioned. I'm looking for a "lighter" gun probably in a 6.5 Creedmoor (something he has talked about getting for a few years) to use mainly on whitetail deer and the occasional out west big game animals as well.

Thanks in advance
Weatherby Vanguard or Howa...look no further!😁

Bergara would be another good one to consider.
Completely agree on Bergara - I have the el cheapo B-14 ridge 24'' model in 300 WM and honestly it is close to 1/2'' accuracy - great alternative to Remington, and it is a Remington clone. The other models (B-14 HMR 26" barrel) are a tad bit heavier but fairly accurate and barrels are threaded in case you want a muzzle brake. hope this helps

Thanks for all the advice. I agree it would be nice to have him shoulder it prior but we did the gift card routine with a crossbow and he went with a cheaper model because he couldnt see spending the money on a better more expensive one. He would without a doubt not pick one out even in the price range I want to be in. I want to get something thats better than a TC Compass or lower end Savage...nothing wrong with those at all but would like for him to have a little more expensive gun and then optic that he would never spend on his own.

Check out the CVA Cascade (made by Bergara). It is a 3 lug design, with shorter 70 degree bolt lift.
Currently shipping with a 20moa rail installed, ceracoted finish, threaded barrel, and synthetic stock.
Under $750 or less. Several positive reviews have been posted online.

My suggestion, I like the Weatherby Vanguards and Howa (Same gun)> I bought the MKV because I am a lefty but if those two cam left handed I would own a bunch. Noting wrong with the Tikka and if you need a lefty it is a great choice too. If you want traditonal wood stock, check out the CZs.
Yes, I would definitely go with the Weatherby, If by some chance your Dads an older gentle-man, he would probably appreciate American.

I have the top-of-the-line 6.5 PRC Browning X-Bolt Pro and love it.
So naturally I'd recommend the less expensive X-bolt rifles because they have the same action as my rifle with the same magazines and Browning's very sturdy four hole X'd scope mount holes (hence the name X-Bolt).
Also all the X-Bolt's have bedded actions which contributes to their good accuracy.

Yes, Brownings are made in Japan by the very high end Miroku firearms corporation. Their quality is absolutely as good as say, TIKKA from Finland.

Recent Posts