stxhunter -- South Texas Rain 2007

tryed to pm you but it wouldnt go though. We got a little rain last week and maybe a inch or two yesterday .I went to the ranch sun to check the feeders . Hogs got one of them did a lot of dammage to it so we brought it back to town to fix here are a few pics of it and my father checking another feeder. WE planted some live oaks pecan and fruit trees around the tank hopefully we'll stay in this wet weather pattern for a few years like back in the 70s and 80s and the trees will do good. I hope in the future the bucks will stop by for some acorn pecan delight. [image]http://[/image]
gun018.jpg
gun019.jpg
gun020.jpg

cool! Yup gotta have feeder pens. This time of the year you are probably just feeding the hogs anyway. They were upset that you didn't have any corn for them /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif Everything is so green that the deer just are not coming to the feeders. Also the hog with hog (pun) the feeders. It's good to have a open feeder if you want to hunt hogs. I love fresh pork, but shoot mine from corn fed roads/senderos... I think it will be a record breaking year with lot's of BC's being shot. Did you do much managment last year?

Oh, I checked my profile settings and couldn't find anything that would not let me receive a PM?

only shot a few does no bucks none of my nieghbors took any bucks either but i didnt see a single buck during rifle season saw some young ones during archery season but none i wanted to arrow.well i'm going to call it a night got a hard at work tomorrow take care

Duhh...your right...I guess Ulvade isnt really South is it. I hope they never have another outbreak it was one of the worst things I have ever seen. Sorry...didnt mean to hijack your thread...was just curious...I will run an internet search and see the likelyhood of another outbreak.

the only thing i've ever heard about antrax from around here was that the strain that was sent in the mail after 911 that killed several peaple orginated from a veternarian in falfurrias tx. that strain came from some cattle he had treated and i think he sent it to some other agency and it was grown there then some how other peaple got ahold of it and they lost track of who had it anyway it was a pretty deadly strain

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gifgot another ban of showers about to go through south texas (Freer & Laredo) area.. Lot's of red and yellow intese rain.. Looks like you should be hit pretty good just north of Freer... Lot's of red.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Spino,
Your right on the rian, and we are hoping the same thing up in E.Tx. I let a great one pass last year in the hopes that he would put on the mass this coming year. Hopefully I won't be disappointed. Either way he should be maxed out in years and growth for the area and if we cross paths we'll find out just how nice he is.

Stxhunter,
As for the feeders, yep, been there done that too many times. Even with the panels if they want in bad enough they will find a way. I think the best way is to hang them from something they can't get under and we are working on that as time and expenses allow. A big tree works great but doesn''t always allow for the best views or positioning. Course down south you don't have all that many big trees. The other problem is getting hole in the ground to allow for an upright to be permantly mounted in. Up where we are, it is simple to auger a hole out with the tractor, but in some areas you almost need a blasting cap just to get through the first few inches.

I can tell you I would certianly be more disappointed in finding one like yours sitting on the ground than my home made 55gal. drum ones. However the cost of the motors still hits you in the pocket book for a decent one.

Good luck on the planted trees. I try some every other year or so, with mixed results. Mostly the problem being rain as you mentioned. Might have to get a few out next trip up. Course the other problem was them getting about just about 2" in diameter and some young buck thinking they made a great rubbing stick for his itchy antlers. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

hi mike how have you been. I thought about the bucks damaging the trees i'll probally put some wire around them already had hogs root up a peach tree and grape vine . done any fishing i went offshore three weeks ago didn't even raise a sardin i'll probally fish a ska tournament in galvesten in june
blueangles009.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.