STW advantage?

bkondeff

I wanted to ask the brotherhood what arguments you might have over why an STW would be better than a LRM in 7mm?

I see the LRM as capable of the same velocity with a lower charge weight(5grains). I'm not afraid of the belt as I have shot 7mmRm's forever, but don't see them as a benefit. The only downside I see is lack of factory ammo, but since they have stamped brass and dies available and I haven't purchased factory ammo in 7 years I don't see that as an issue.

Not bashing, I am only trying to be sure of my own decision and figured where better to get feedback and debate than the brotherhood.

Thanks.

I wanted to ask the brotherhood what arguments you might have over why an STW would be better than a LRM in 7mm?

I see the LRM as capable of the same velocity with a lower charge weight(5grains). I'm not afraid of the belt as I have shot 7mmRm's forever, but don't see them as a benefit. The only downside I see is lack of factory ammo, but since they have stamped brass and dies available and I haven't purchased factory ammo in 7 years I don't see that as an issue.

Not bashing, I am only trying to be sure of my own decision and figured where better to get feedback and debate than the brotherhood.

Thanks.

I read a article awhile back, from a reputable source as well, but for the life of me, I forget what the LRM is bsed on. I'm assuming it's a beltless round.
When someone is fact finding, it's not considered bashing, just friendly debating!!!!!
I'm curious about the LRM. lightbulb

This is weird, I am replying to my own post :D. After I posted, I looked up the7 LRM.
The first thing that came to mind, is that the 375 Ruger is it's own creation, and it dosen't have a parent case, as does the STW. IE, 375HH, 300HH, 8 mm Mag, etc. That all being said, IF the Ruger cartridge dries up, find brass for it could be tougher than finding STW brass. The STW's brass can be made from a number of 375 HH family brass, simply by fire forming, or other forms of case forming methods.
I am not aware of it's ballistics, or capacities, either but would tread lightly, or at least consider the possibility of the brass issue.
Besides, there's a little " magic" that goes on with a STW, that until you own one, and load for it long enough to realize it. But that's just me,and I could be guilty of being a little " prejudice". :D
I know of few guys that are shooting 7mm 300's, and nearly getting the speed the STW delivers. The deer dont know the difference.
Just a little food for thought.

I'll be prejudice too....7mm STW all the way. Like he said, it's a magical round steeped in mystery and superceeded only by it's performance and true abilities.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.