stuck primer

I agree that the charge has to be contained to cause serious problems, but contained is a relative term. A kinetic bullet puller, by design is a very strong, enclosed tube. Would there have been a problem if the powder had been ignited? I think so, especially with your head within arms length of the explosion.

You don't necessarily have to strike the primer to make it go off. I once saw a guy in a gun shop drop a box of shotgun shells. When it hit the floor, one of the shells went off. No one was hurt but it was loud inside the shop and scared the bejesus out of all of us.

I was quail hunting with a friend several years ago. When he fired at a flying quail there was a funny sounding double bang and smoke boiled from the receiver of his shotgun. He wasn't hurt. When we checked, one of the shells in the magazine tube had gone off. It was an Ithica Model 37 Featherweight which is all steel construction. The magazine tube held the pressure without bulging but the magazine spring and follower was ruined.

One more.

When I worked for the Sheriff's Department, the Sheriff was T-boned at a redlight. His car caught on fire. He had over 2000 rounds of 5.56 mm and 9 mm ammo in the car at the time. He was thrown from the car. Another officer and I were the first ones on the scene. Rounds were going off like popcorn. We low walked to the Sheriff and dragged him behind a nearby building. You could hear either bullets or casing whistling through the air. They were probably the 9 mm cases, since we found a lot of bullets around the car. Some of the cases were found 100 yards from the wreck. If we or he had been struck by one of them, we could have been injured.

I agree that the charge has to be contained to cause serious problems, but contained is a relative term. A kinetic bullet puller, by design is a very strong, enclosed tube. Would there have been a problem if the powder had been ignited? I think so, especially with your head within arms length of the explosion.

You don't necessarily have to strike the primer to make it go off. I once saw a guy in a gun shop drop a box of shotgun shells. When it hit the floor, one of the shells went off. No one was hurt but it was loud inside the shop and scared the bejesus out of all of us.

I was quail hunting with a friend several years ago. When he fired at a flying quail there was a funny sounding double bang and smoke boiled from the receiver of his shotgun. He wasn't hurt. When we checked, one of the shells in the magazine tube had gone off. It was an Ithica Model 37 Featherweight which is all steel construction. The magazine tube held the pressure without bulging but the magazine spring and follower was ruined.

One more.

When I worked for the Sheriff's Department, the Sheriff was T-boned at a redlight. His car caught on fire. He had over 2000 rounds of 5.56 mm and 9 mm ammo in the car at the time. He was thrown from the car. Another officer and I were the first ones on the scene. Rounds were going off like popcorn. We low walked to the Sheriff and dragged him behind a nearby building. You could hear either bullets or casing whistling through the air. They were probably the 9 mm cases, since we found a lot of bullets around the car. Some of the cases were found 100 yards from the wreck. If we or he had been struck by one of them, we could have been injured.

My only comment is, what the hell was a motor patrolman doing with 2000 rounds in the patrol car? Planning for civil unrest or just collecting ammunition? Thats insane and it's also a good yardstick showing the mentality of some in law enforcement. 5 or 6 in your service revolver or 10 in your automatic with a spare mag and a box of shells for the scattergun. If you need more, call for backup.

IMO, thats a case of over armed and under brained.

....and I agree, the tube on a kinetic puller will constrain the charge possibly causing lethal shrapnel. I've been reloading for many years and thousands and thousands (literally as I load for our entire group) of loads and I've pulled a bunch and never had a primer detonate, not that anyting isn't possible, just never happened to me.

My only comment is, what the hell was a motor patrolman doing with 2000 rounds in the patrol car? Planning for civil unrest or just collecting ammunition? Thats insane and it's also a good yardstick showing the mentality of some in law enforcement. 5 or 6 in your service revolver or 10 in your automatic with a spare mag and a box of shells for the scattergun. If you need more, call for backup.

IMO, thats a case of over armed and under brained.
"Motor Patrolman"? This was the County Sheriff. As far as why he had that much ammo, he had picked it up for the department qualifications. The only yardstick I'm seeing here is the one measuring your understanding of law enforcement. It seems to be a very short stick. And I think we see who's under brained.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.