Stuck! Now what?

Pick this up at pawn shop for a song,
any advice on what action to take getting it out?
View attachment 195289
Thanks

If it happened to an experienced reloader or shooter, He could probably rule out any real problems and would know what went wrong. the fact that you bought it at a pawn shop and the owner is unknown leaves lots of unanswered questions. If the pressure was high enough, you could even have bolt lug setback and this would be an indication of the over pressure that could render the action unusable.

You can buy a new bolt action for just over $300.00 and replace it and not worry about failure.
The other approach would be to cut your loses and start over. Ether way could end up being the close to the same cost and much less risk.

Better safe than sorry.

J E CUSTOM

As far as getting it out, you might be able to JB weld some sort of rod into the pocket that remains and then use the rod the rotate the case out. Just another way to get ahold of it. As for the condition of the action, it is hard to say if the failure was an over-pressure or a case that was overused, and gave up the ghost. Best to have it checked out before shooting again.

Here it is! Check it out
It was a 308 win!!

Attachments

• IMG_20200526_205923.jpg
    IMG_20200526_205923.jpg
    622.5 KB · Views: 141
  • IMG_20200526_200658.jpg
    IMG_20200526_200658.jpg
    422.3 KB · Views: 161
Had one just like that come in to my shop. I sent it to remington who said after inspection and a new extractor was still ok. They said the action saw in excess of 120000 psi. Just about double what it should have been. A great example of how strong the actions are made today. The brass is definitely the weak link.
Shep

By the way the rifle has been shot in local br matches for 2 yrs since it was blown up like that with no issues. Chamber and headspace was fine. The extractor was gone. To this day we don't know how the guy did it. He said he only had one powder on the table. It was varget in a 6br. So there is no way he could have double charged it. He did get a few little cuts on his face and some red powder burn spots. But that action held.
Shep

By the way the rifle has been shot in local br matches for 2 yrs since it was blown up like that with no issues. Chamber and headspace was fine. The extractor was gone. To this day we don't know how the guy did it. He said he only had one powder on the table. It was varget in a 6br. So there is no way he could have double charged it. He did get a few little cuts on his face and some red powder burn spots. But that action held.
Shep
Thanks 25wsm, so tell me what do you think it did to the barrel?
I should still have the whole thing inspected..?
It is after all a 270 win (or was :))

Well on the barrel of the gun I sent to Remington to inspect was all good. If I were you I would send it to Remington to have it inspected. Chances are it's all good. But they would be the ones to tell you after a full inspection.
Shep

When I read post # 26 stating it was a 270 Win. I got a Cold Creepy Feeling. The first thing I thought was did someone put a 308 Win., Federal 338 or 7MM-08 shell in the 270 Win. rifle and fire it. I was going to ask when he got the shell head out of the bolt if he could read the caliper. When I got to post #32 there was the answer.

In my career as a field Wildlife Officer for 17 years and 17 1/2 years as Regional Training/ Hunter Education Sgt. I investigated many incidents of 308 Win. shells put in the wrong chamber. District 3 at French Creek WV had a Pre 64 Mod. 70 Win. custom barreled to 25-06. in 40 some pieces of wood and metal. The receiver was split through the front scope screw holes, The bolt lugs held, In a shadow box display. I seen another 25-06 blew up by a 308 Win shell that would have killed the shooter except for fate. He forgot his hat going to the range, Hot day, Sweat was dripping in his eyes. He had a towel in the vehicle and rolled it up and put it around his head. There was a piece of metal blew out of the action and was caught deep in the towel. If not for the towel it would have went through his forehead. DRT.

When I taught Hunter Education classes in the Ammo Section I always discussed the dangers of 308 Win. Ammo in 25-06 Rem. 270 Win. 280 Rem/7mm Rem. Express chambers. The book only shows the 20 ga. shell 12 ga. shotgun danger.
With 338 WM and Weatherby's 6.5/300 mag. Win. WSM and Rem. SAUM and Rem UM cartridges, Could be a problem. I want to do some study and tests before the fall classes start.

The pressure that barrel and action has been exposed to, Remove any good parts, Trigger, barrel Lug, Bolt handle?, stock and do the unspeakable to the action. Would be the safest thing.

Last edited:
Had one do simular....280ai....but it was a safe loaded round powder-wise....and only explanation myself or gunsmith could come up with was the bullet....it was a bullet from a 7wsm federal load..150gr...decided it did not "like" going thru the barrel.....it went thru..and left me a very big primer pocket..too big for a musket primer to stay in.....gunsmith pulled things apart...checked it all out....shot it several times....other than a little wrinkle on the bolt face it has functioned 100% since...
Taken whitetail and Muley....
Never had any other situation with that rifle...but all those fed bullets were larger than the 284 nosler bullets it now shoots...they are destroyed....never shot well in the 7wsm either...but the shadow must have had a larger diameter barrel on it......factory....

That could explain it !!!

I had a friend bring me a rifle to look at that had split a 308 win case end to end. The reason was simple, someone got it to fire in a 300 Win Mag. (Don't even know how it fired unless it was loaded with the muzzle pointed up and was lowered without moving the round forward allowing the firing pin to strike the primer). Fortunately, he didn't hurt the action or the chamber.

Mistakes like this are made more often that you would think. People buy ammo and don't bother to make sure that the box of ammo has the exact cartridge name that is on the barrel. I once heard a sales person at Bass pro tell a guy that the ammo he needed was for a 30 caliber and that's what he had. They both went to school in spite of there objection and soon realized that the round could blow up in his rifle. The rifle owner thanked me, but the sales person just frowned and said "What EVER". Being the horses *** that I am I went to the manager and recommended that he put that salesman to picking up trash, for safety reasons.

This another reason that the barrel ID needs to be descriptive and accurate as discussed in an earlier post.

Your action may be alright because the pressures were not excessive, I would still have your smith to check it out just to be safe.

J E CUSTOM

As far as getting it out, you might be able to JB weld some sort of rod into the pocket that remains and then use the rod the rotate the case out. Just another way to get ahold of it. As for the condition of the action, it is hard to say if the failure was an over-pressure or a case that was overused, and gave up the ghost. Best to have it checked out before shooting again.
Try using a Cold Spray (CO2 or Air can upside down. The difference between the two metals should allow the brass to contract more than the steel.
I used to use this method to get stuck cases out of a chamber. ( I had a local source of dry ice, which made it real easy)

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts