Stuck cases

I know everyone has their own brands they like, I've used plenty over 50 years. One suggestion is to use Lee FL dies, they have a built in stuck case remover that actually saves the case.

They also cost less and work great. I get half inch and better groups.
You can also just neck size, no lube needed and eliminate neck turning.

WATCH OUT hear comes the haters!

I do ever so lightly and things go smooth for me. I just press the mouth on the pad on one end of pad that I have little lube. I have found to be quicker than graphite
Just how I do it but I am sure there are better ways. Hopefully some will chime in

Thanks

Buck
Hornady one shot,follow directions it will work just fine I have never had a stuck case using this but many people hate it

Thank I'll see if I can find it,
Was using Hornady one shot thought I had them with all sides covered apparently missed one, then a small swab around The inside of the die body
Shakewell spray down at a 45° angle turn 180° spray downward 45° angle then here is the key LET IT DRY then Size

Thanks Was thinking Stuck case, we'll grab the removal kit. Then it was still on the mandrel never thought about that getting stuck in there as well
I have used a pipe cutter and some vise grips to cut the base of the case off. It is simple, easy and effective. Also keep asking those questions, we've all had to start somewhere. I have been reloading for 60 years now and still get lots of information from this forum. Good bunch of folks on here.

Despite prudence & caution I occasionally get cases stuck in F/L dies.

I have 2 types of removal tools (1) drill & tap primer pocket & use cup & Allen head bolt to turn & pull stuck case out; (2) pull out expander ball & pound out stuck case using steel rod & hammer. I don't like (2) and use (1). Extraction of the expander ball & mandrel from die may be done by placing flat washers around threaded portion of mandrel, lubing washers with a dab of wheel bearing grease, then turning the works out with a nut with same thread size as mandrel. I consider expander ball/mandrels probable causes for increasing case run-out and avoid using them or lube inside case necks with graphite lock lube. The "pound-out" (2) stuck case removers have mandrel removal nuts. Mandrels subjected to removal efforts could be bent.

I like the Lee F/L dies and most often use them without the decap/expander mandrel but with cases having turned necks. I turn necks for .204's at .226, .224's at .246, .243's at .268, & .264's at .288. After that, no expander ball. Have not tried this but I'm guessing a treaded bolt having the same thread sizes as the die collet threads could be turned in & down to push out stuck cases but only after smooth & unthreaded decap/expander mandrel somehow removed from die/stuck case. Don't like the idea of pounding on the decap/expander mandrel with a hammer.

Never tried Hornady One Shot as a case lube but it is my first choice for many other applications.

Hugnot,
With the Lee die, you can use brass punch on the mandrel or a piece of hard wood to punch it out. Never steel on steel.
No damage to the mandrel. Then use wood blocks in vice too hold the mandrel, use shell holder on the case, slide wrench against shell holder and tap out case from mandrel.
Takes 5 minutes.
There's videos on YouTube and Lee site, however some guys do this wrong

I'll add a recommendation to switch lubes. The RCBS pad lube works very well. If its not sizing with little pressure, stop and back out, needs more or better lube. I've used OneShot and had mixed experiences, just not worth the headaches.

Shake the can before spraying?

I call OneShot the 50:50 shot. You've got a 50% chance of sticking a case in you die on every batch you resize.

Imperial or Hornady Unique is your answer.
I found Hornady One Shot to be very messy, ie landing on my workbench and coating the reloading tray the brass was standing in. So I switched to Imperial Wax, and have been extremely pleased.

Disposing of aerosol spray cans can be hazardous. Anyone needing to dispose on Hornady OneShot can send to me and I will take care of it. Just shoot me a message here!
So obviously a user, and working well for you, other then shake well, dry for a minute or so and put a little in the die body before use, with out over doing it. Tips on using what I got until I can try others ? I was standing them in a block and spraying all 4 sides.

Recent Posts