Stuck cases

shawn mcjunkin

hi,
Still really new to reloading, and I know it happens so. Got a stuck case last night in my Redding master hunter fl die in 28 nos. I used the stuck case removal tool and got the brass removed from the die, but the mandrel with the expander ball was still inside. No I may be an idiot on this one. I re threaded the mandrel into the die. With the stuck case remover still screwed on in had to use a pair of pliers resting on the rim of the remover against the brass, and tap it off the mandrel. Sooo. I'm wondering how delicate are those mandrels. No side to side movement just down. The ball still floats well and obviously with just looking at it wouldn't be able to tell if it caused any damage. So thoughts, and tips for next time on removing case from mandrel?
Thanks

I do ever so lightly and things go smooth for me. I just press the mouth on the pad on one end of pad that I have little lube. I have found to be quicker than graphite
Just how I do it but I am sure there are better ways. Hopefully some will chime in

Thanks

Buck

hi,
Still really new to reloading, and I know it happens so. Got a stuck case last night in my Redding master hunter fl die in 28 nos. I used the stuck case removal tool and got the brass removed from the die, but the mandrel with the expander ball was still inside. No I may be an idiot on this one. I re threaded the mandrel into the die. With the stuck case remover still screwed on in had to use a pair of pliers resting on the rim of the remover against the brass, and tap it off the mandrel. Sooo. I'm wondering how delicate are those mandrels. No side to side movement just down. The ball still floats well and obviously with just looking at it wouldn't be able to tell if it caused any damage. So thoughts, and tips for next time on removing case from mandrel?
Thanks

Rather than focusing on "next time", you should focus on not sticking cases.

What lube are you using and how are you applying it? There was a good thread on this topic a few weeks ago.

do you lube the inside of the neck ?
How does this matter when the case is inside the die with however much the die just squeezed the neck too? It ain't gonna just slide over the expander no matter how much lube is in the neck.

To the OP, those expanders are hardened, so no damage would've taken place.

Cheers.

How does this matter when the case is inside the die with however much the die just squeezed the neck too? It ain't gonna just slide over the expander no matter how much lube is in the neck.

To the OP, those expanders are hardened, so no damage would've taken place.

Cheers.
Thanks Was thinking Stuck case, we'll grab the removal kit. Then it was still on the mandrel never thought about that getting stuck in there as well

Rather than focusing on "next time", you should focus on not sticking cases.

What lube are you using and how are you applying it? There was a good thread on this topic a few weeks ago.
Thank I'll see if I can find it,
Was using Hornady one shot thought I had them with all sides covered apparently missed one, then a small swab around The inside of the die body

Thank I'll see if I can find it,
Was using Hornady one shot thought I had them with all sides covered apparently missed one, then a small swab around The inside of the die body

I use a plastic bore brush with RCBS lube and make sure the inside of the necks are clean of carbon. I brush out the necks with a steel brush. I used to use the expander ball in my FL die. Now I use expander mandrels. If the case gives me resistance I make sure the inside of the necks are clean, and as bright as I can get them. If you have to tug the brass off the expander button or in my case the mandrel, then you are defeating the purpose of mandreling, pushing the mandrel to size verses pulling the brass over the expander button to size. The button distorts the neck and you will get excessive runout verses mandreling and that effects accuracy.

I hated the all in one, decap and ball expander die, broke several of them, stuck them in brass etc etc. Ordered a Lee decapping die $12, and a mandrel fixture with precision neck sizing mandrel. $50 ish. Best decision I've made in reloading. Hundreds of rounds without breaking one decapping pin, uniform neck tension which lead to much tighter groups. 👍
Sorry I have no advice on the stuck tool, I pitched mine in the trash can. But I can commiserate with the frustration of those dies.