Stuck Case

murf

Hey fellas,

Quick question for you smiths, what are the causes of a stuck case (in the chamber)? I shot my Rem. 700 PSS .308 today and the first case is stuck in the chamber (shooting federal GMM .308 168gr. match Kings. this is the only ammo that I have ever fed this particular rifle and have never had a problem in the past. The rifle is completely bone stock, and I am stumped, any ideas.

Murf

I figured it out guys, RUST in the chamber. I stored this particular rifle with a plastic dummy round in the chamber (that way I can dry fire it before storing). I don't know if the plastic has caused the rust issue itself or I forgot to oil chamber before storing it last??? Maybe some of you have an answer to this?
My problem now is going to be, getting the rust out of the chamber, any ideas, tools, techniques, do's and don'ts, I am all ears fellas, I hope I haven't ruined my rifle it shoots good. Thanks in advance!

Murf

cut a slit in a 1/4" brass rod, wedge some 000 steel wool in the slot and wrap the rod with it, ball it up a bit so it needs to compress when it goes in the chamber. Add a little oil and stick t in a hand drill. insert thru the action and start spinning it as you feed it into the chamber, this helps to compress the steel wool wrap and get it into the chamber. run it wide open for half a minute or so in both forward and reverse. Avoid sticking the rod up into the neck and throat area of the chamber. Clean it out and inspect, repeat if neccesary. when your all done really clean it good as little pcs. of steel wool will be all over the inside of the action and chamber.

I'd get a brass 20ga shotgun brush and some PB blaster. The electric drill idea is good too.
I don't like the idea of having to find and remove all those little pieces of steel wool.

Thanks for the help fellas! I used a .308 chamber brush and dewalt to carefully remove the surface rust in my chamber, so that should fix my issue. Do any of you store your rifles with a plastic dummy round chambered, I am wondering if that is a bad idea, because some plastics absorb H20, albeit not much but they do?

Murf

Murf,
It is the season to be aware of temp changes and condensation in guns going in and out of the house. Keep the chamber oiled, especially that chamber that has had rust in it. Oh, and beware of the AC in the car or truck it will cause moisture as well during the summer.

Nothing is in my chamber when a gun is stored, except oil.
Best,
Ed

You do not need a snap cap to dry fire a centerfire rifle!!!!
if you don't wanna dry fire, just raise the bolt, pull the trigger and push the bolt down

fire a live round when your done and check the chamber for pitts (they'll show on the fired brass)
RR

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.