Stuck case in chamber

you need to make sure your loading data is for IMR 4831 and not H 4831 ther is a great difference in the two.. I would scrap all Imr 4831 and if you like that burning rate use Reloader 19. Imr should have never put their 4831 on the market . they have 7828 it is so much better.

I had the same issue using brass that was previously used in a different chamber. I was advised in this forum that doing that could create the exact problem I was having( and you as well). Solution? Bought new brass and problem went away. I have however purchased a small base die to return previously used brass back to spec but haven't used it yet. It may prove to work as well.

Excellent information for me to digest as a new reloader. I learned: Pay attention to EVERY DETAIL and do your research from multiple trusted sources before messing around with things that go bang.

Also read the Primal Arms link on pressure signs, good info and learned that I should buy powder in 24 lb lots and 20K primers by lot....so who has 24 lbs of same lot Retumbo they would like to send my way??

I'm having a 6.5-284 Norma built and going to have to develop some loads for it. Guess I am going to have to up my powder budget.

I agree with others that you should use new brass.

I didn't see anyone mentioning it so I will.... do you know the chamber dimensions? One time I was helping a friend who had a new barrel installed. The rifle was accurate but every so often it shot out of the group and it has some bolt lift resistance. Friend inquired about the chamber dimensions and we discovered that the most of the brass had a .001-.002" release! The reamer used a dimension that was not SAMMI! The occasional fliers had thicker case walls and not enough bullet release clearance causing pressure. Once all necks were turned the issue disappeared.

Excellent information for me to digest as a new reloader. I learned: Pay attention to EVERY DETAIL and do your research from multiple trusted sources before messing around with things that go bang.

Also read the Primal Arms link on pressure signs, good info and learned that I should buy powder in 24 lb lots and 20K primers by lot....so who has 24 lbs of same lot Retumbo they would like to send my way??

I'm having a 6.5-284 Norma built and going to have to develop some loads for it. Guess I am going to have to up my powder budget.

24 pounds of powder would put you in the 3000 rounds range. Do you think you will get that many rounds from it? 24 lbs x 7000 grains per lb divided by 56 grains per round = 3000.

I agree with others that you should use new brass.

I didn't see anyone mentioning it so I will.... do you know the chamber dimensions? One time I was helping a friend who had a new barrel installed. The rifle was accurate but every so often it shot out of the group and it has some bolt lift resistance. Friend inquired about the chamber dimensions and we discovered that the most of the brass had a .001-.002" release! The reamer used a dimension that was not SAMMI! The occasional fliers had thicker case walls and not enough bullet release clearance causing pressure. Once all necks were turned the issue disappeared.

If the reamer was a non-SAMMI shouldn't the neck diameter have been stamped onto the barrel?

This is the way I find the lands. I used to do the dummy round and comparator however I was finding lots of discrepancies. I started using Alex's method and it is very consistent. Give it a try and see if it changes things for you.

Jayson

The only problem with this is that no two bullets from the same lot(And I do not care who makes them)are exactly the same length or have the ogive in the same place.This is a good method to have a general feeling where to start your distancing from the lands.

Antelope, I was being sarcastic. That is what the Primal Arms link said. I can't even find a lb of Retumbo, let alone 24.
I settled on H4350 and H4831 sc with three different recommend bullets and Federal 210M primers. I suspect I will find a load I can be happy with one of those combinations. I will not be chasing velocity or max loads, just looking for accuracy.

This is my first custom build and I have enjoyed the process. The information I glean reading this site is invaluable. It has lead me to do further research and learn much about all the potential problems encountered when reloading. Upped my safety awareness a lot. I have only reloaded pistol rounds before and a little 308 for plinking so I am approaching this new rifle super cautiously. I don't want to be the guy posting pictures of a busted rifle or missing fingers.

Antelope, I was being sarcastic. That is what the Primal Arms link said. I can't even find a lb of Retumbo, let alone 24.
I settled on H4350 and H4831 sc with three different recommend bullets and Federal 210M primers. I suspect I will find a load I can be happy with one of those combinations. I will not be chasing velocity or max loads, just looking for accuracy.

This is my first custom build and I have enjoyed the process. The information I glean reading this site is invaluable. It has lead me to do further research and learn much about all the potential problems encountered when reloading. Upped my safety awareness a lot. I have only reloaded pistol rounds before and a little 308 for plinking so I am approaching this new rifle super cautiously. I don't want to be the guy posting pictures of a busted rifle or missing fingers.

24 pounds of most powders will put you in the 3000 round range, not that there's anything wrong with that. You may burn your barrel out before that, but that's a good reason to get another or another gun.

24 pounds of most powders will put you in the 3000 round range, not that there's anything wrong with that. You may burn your barrel out before that, but that's a good reason to get another or another gun.

Man the big 338's will have you running around trying to find powder scratching and twitching like a crackhead 😂 24 lbs might see a barrel through at 108gr a pop and it's not 108gr of the easy-to-find stuff either.

Man the big 338's will have you running around trying to find powder scratching and twitching like a crackhead 😂 24 lbs might see a barrel through at 108gr a pop and it's not 108gr of the easy-to-find stuff either.

I was referring to the OP's 6.5 x 284, but yeah some of those biguns burn powder like a power plant burns coal. Not unusual that once one gets into it one can accumulate 24 pounds of powder of various kinds.

I suppose all of these runs on ammo make it hard for the big boys to keep us handloaders supplied.

Let me throw another one at the hive. I made a mistake referring to my measurements earlier. My average Chamber length was 2.890 (case length to ogive). I loaded all my rounds to 2.850 (ogive). That would give me .040 off lands...not the .005 like I had thought. Guess that's why you keep notes.
I've added a photo with the primers and charges. You can see there is some flattening, I just don't really believe that it is significant enough that I should be concerned with the pressure at 70grains. Again this yielded the best group at about .5moa. Could slight flattening be an indication of excessive head space? It's still closer to the lands than factory ammo, but with higher charge, I'm wondering if this could be a culprit to the stuck case at 70.5g, and if my 70g load, which shot great and had no extraction issues, should even be a concern at all?
I will warn you now. Go buy a good leather bound notebook before you do anything else. If you measure an ogive length write down every detail

Each measure
Average
Bullet used
Case brand used, new or fired
Date of measure - they change.

Do this with all you build and shoot and you will never be able to thank me but maybe I kept someone from blowing themselves up.

How did you determine you are .005 off lands? I would never run a hunting round any where close to .005 off lands. I would especially not do it on a load work up for a belted case either. My guess is you are actually in the lands.

I would back it off at least .020 and work up again.

Good luck
Steve

Curious Question>>>>>what does the belt have to do with anything?

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.