stuck ball

DarryH

I have an original musket marked Danzig 1832, percussion, end of bore measure about .720, smoothbore.
It looks like it was made as a percussion gun, but may be a very good conversion. barrel about 41 inches long. it appears to have a load stuck inside. It has been there a LONG time as there is a lot of rust and debris on top that I have cleaned. Nothing comes out the nipple. what can I do to remove the load?? I don't have any supplies at this time. Not really able to blast it out with air pressure as I am in a populated area. Any help appreciated. Thank you

They make a CO2 stuck ball remover, basically air pressure you plug into the nipple opening, or you can try running a ball worm into it and pulling it out. Track of the Wolf will have both, or take it to a gunsmith. With it having been in there a long time the ball worm my not work well. Also, there is a good chance there is powder in behind that ball so be very careful and treat it like a loaded gun. Getting the powder out you usually use a real fine wire, after removing the nipple. Poke it out one grain at a time. If it is real compacted you may have to pull the breech plug.

powder charge saturated with penetrating oil. Sat for a few days. Never would consider shooting it out, Cant do the co2 ball blaster here in town.

In newer guns I have removed the nipple and cleaned out as much as I could the put a few grains of 4 f or as much as I could, replaced the nipple and put a cap on it and fired it. It works every time. In your case you have no idea what could be charging that ball. Good luck!

powder charge saturated with penetrating oil. Sat for a few days. Never would consider shooting it out, Cant do the co2 ball blaster here in town.
Well if u caked up the powder u probably can't get the powder out any more. Take it to a smith and have him take the breech plug off.

Nipple is pretty much frozen in place. There was NO loose powder yo come out. The gun may have been loaded a hundred years. No rod long enough to attach a ball puller. If I had a welder, I'd take a steel rod and weld a screw onto it. Might have to find someone to do that for me. I have the load covered in penetrating fluid. Hopefully a week of soaking will make this go easier. I'll be really curious to see what comes out. I'll post pics if I get it out.

Worse comes to worst and the breech plug is frozen too, cut it off, tap a new plug and nipple and you are good to go. You can buy new beach plugs no problem. If all u want is to make it safe, call Bob Hoyt, of Bob Hoyt Barrels. He specializes in ML barrels.

Last edited:
Barrel is most likely damaged and not accurate but possibly still shootable. I'd just buy a long muzzleloader rod from Midway, Brownells, etc and screw a ball extractor attachment on the end. They are made to accept a ball extractor so no welding required. Slowly screw it into the ball and pull it out. If it strips out the lead ball a few times, so what, the hole in the ball will relieve some pressure and allow penetrating fluid behind the ball. Also pour some boiling water down the barrel to soften the lead ball and, later after the powder is wet, add some heat to the outside of the barrel where the ball is located. Take your time, it will eventually come out. You'll need a long muzzleloader rod to stuff a new ball down the barrel anyway if you plan to shoot it.

Last edited:

Recent Posts