Struggling w a new Leupold VX-6HD 4-24x52

I had a erector failure on a VX-6 as well. Took me awhile to nail it down or figure it out. Wasn't as bad as yours being so low and left after bore sighting. Mine would place 2 shots together and the third away. Chased reloads for awhile thinking I had missed the sweet spot. Finally changed to vortex back up scope and it all came together. I like you never figured that the dollars spent on a scope of that quality could have a issue. Leupold fixed the erector once I sent it in. Received it back from Leupold with a repair order just stating parts were replaced. I had to call to confirm what parts where replaced. (Erector)

Thanks much-
ITs all been good advice....appreciate all the feedback and suggestions. We will see what happens today w Leupold. My gunsmith is joining the call- he made a good point, replace the scope and we will start over....if the problem persists, its on our end.....if not, problem solved. Seems simple enough but we will see what they say.

I don't have an issue with NF or Swarso or Vortex ….. or whatever......I just landed on Leupold from a lifetime of success and reliability. Only other brand I own is the 3-10 Vortex that I put on a back up muzzleloader. You'll never hear me brand bashing.....however.....this experience has started to swing my personal bias.....but like all things, **** sometimes happens. I just seem to have drawn the short straw this time.

Thanks again-

Same method and thought process on my end, bashing a product doesn't help anything. I grew up using Leupold and hearing my dad and other old timers tell me they were the best (at the time I believe they were) and grew to be extremely loyal to the brand. Optics technology and feature advancements have turned the market considerably in the last 10-15 years. I was fortunate to find a career with this type of equipment as a factor in my daily activities and the opportunity to learn from industry professionals and speak directly with manufacturers of most quality products.

I've come to appreciate NF the same way I learned to appreciate Leupold years ago, experience and hard use have proven them to be good stuff! When/if the brand starts to waiver or show signs of lesser quality, Ill find another one.
I certainly wouldn't give up if Leupold was my only option, I still think they make a solid product that is better than most, especially the high end items such as yours.

I had a erector failure on a VX-6 as well. Took me awhile to nail it down or figure it out. Wasn't as bad as yours being so low and left after bore sighting. Mine would place 2 shots together and the third away. Chased reloads for awhile thinking I had missed the sweet spot. Finally changed to vortex back up scope and it all came together. I like you never figured that the dollars spent on a scope of that quality could have a issue. Leupold fixed the erector once I sent it in. Received it back from Leupold with a repair order just stating parts were replaced. I had to call to confirm what parts where replaced. (Erector)
Strange you didn't get a detailed list of tests done and parts replaced. I have sent 2 scopes back to leupold over the last 20 years. One was a year ago. I got the same checklist back (slightly different form) with all of the tests performed of the erector, dials, and lenses and the failing and the action taken and the re-test. Both ended up being re-builds and were and are still running flawlessly.

Strange you didn't get a detailed list of tests done and parts replaced. I have sent 2 scopes back to leupold over the last 20 years. One was a year ago. I got the same checklist back (slightly different form) with all of the tests performed of the erector, dials, and lenses and the failing and the action taken and the re-test. Both ended up being re-builds and were and are still running flawlessly.
I still may......they have had the scope nearly 6 weeks and still do. They are performing a 5 shot test with the scope mounted to one of their guns.....that's what I am not waiting on after their service team reported nothing wrong????

I still may......they have had the scope nearly 6 weeks and still do. They are performing a 5 shot test with the scope mounted to one of their guns.....that's what I am not waiting on after their service team reported nothing wrong????

Only one person in the whole place allowed to do that?

Talked to my buddy. Without looking at it, he thinks it's an erector tube issue. He said that luepold does pretty Rigorous testing on customer returns. Mount it, do turrets tests, check that reticle is in correct position, it's still weather proofed, etc...He said they have a policy where they have to tell you what happened/what's wrong with it.

Full disclosure I haven't spoken to him in a couple of months and he doesn't work for them anymore and started his own gunsmithing business. He just informed me of that.

Have to agree with you Brian, don't sell that to some unsuspecting shooter. Unless you tell them up front. Although I have never had to return a Leupold, I've heard nothing but good things about their CS. This Wuhan flu has backed everything up, hopefully that is your problem.

First time posting, not sure what I am looking for, maybe advice maybe confirmation of what I am thinking or maybe simple education.
I purchased a new Leupold VX-6HD 4-24x52 for my new Seeking Havac PH2 in 6.5 PRC in May. I had done a lot of research prior to purchasing, talked to mfgr. reps at several different optics companies before making my final decision. I am also partial as I have Leupold products on a muzzle loader, AR, 300RUM as well as Binos and a Range Finder.....a brand snob I guess but performance based as I have been extremely happy with all of their other optics I own.

I worked with my local gunsmith to have the scope mounted (using Seekins Precision 34mm rings), the scope was bore-sighted, columniation (?) maybe and told it was ready to go. He provided the 8.5x11 SiteLite Targets used to sight in the scope for my caliber, ballistics and a 200yd zero. I picked the gun up and went to the range. Started at 75yds and spent literally a box of ammo trying to get it on paper (a 4' x 4' target). As it ended up, I was shooting low and was still somewhere near 2'-0" right of the target after maxing out the windage. I know this isn't the right way to do it but honestly I was lost. I was eventually able to get the elevation dialed in by holding nearly 2'-0" off the target. Left extremely frustrated and took the gun back the gunsmith on Monday, targets in hand.

Needless to say, he was completely perplexed. He suggested we take the scope off, and restart the process. At the same time, he contacted Seekins to discuss the factory specs for the rifle, Seekins was great, actually called me to verify I was ok with them talking to him about my rifle first. They were able to verify that the rifle was in spec, no damage from shipping or anything else that could have been off during the manufacturing process. The scope was remounted, bore-sighted and I was sent back to the range. This time results were a little more positive. First shot was not on paper. Second shot was...barely (LOW AND RIGHT) at 50yds, same size target. After a number of shots I was able to get the elevation and windage nearly perfect but I was nearly out of adjustment on the windage. I was able to get 2-3 shot groups at about 2-3" then a flier 9" low and 6" right....this continued out to 100yds, multiple times. I was able to get my gunsmith on the phone and we worked through it for another 45 minutes. Could not get the gun to hold a consistent grouping. Everything was tight.....at a complete loss.

Attempt 3 - took the rifle back to my gunsmith, he removed the Leupold, mounted a Vortex 3-10 from another gun of mine via the same process. I went back to the range a week later and was shooting quarter size groups at 100 yds. I was able to repeat this time and time again. Seems like an optics issue to me? Gun is performing perfectly at 100yds. (For what it is worth, I am shooting 143 gr Hornady Precision Hunter ELD-X)

Now.....here is where I am struggling as if that wasn't enough...….I contacted Leupold, explained the problem, and they promptly sent me a return label (extremely apologetic and helpful) and I sent the scope back. It has been there for more than a month. Took 2 weeks to look at it and decide they couldn't find anything wrong. I had to call multiple times to get a response. Ended up my guy had gone on vacation and it was sitting on his desk. He stated he would have their range master mount it on a gun and fire it 5 times. He thinks it will check out and will then send the scope back to me? When I questioned him on that he sayd he could call off the shooting and just send it back I guess I am at a loss. I asked about replacement, lack of confidence, its nearly a $3,000 scope and I want it right. Their warranty says repair or replace but he is saying there is NOTHING wrong? My gunsmith is saying something is up with the scope as the VORTEX is driving tacks......and before you state the obvious..... 3-10 power isn't going to suffice for my long distance requirement. Really worried I will have a $3,000 paperweight that Leupold isn't acting like they are going to stand behind. That may be overreacting too soon but my Wyoming hunt in October is rapidly approaching and I'm at a complete loss.

Has anyone had a similar experience or have any suggestions?
Had the same problem with a 3-18 VX6 HD not long ago. Replaced it with a March and sold the Leupold on ebay. I will never buy another Leupold again. They are justnot reliable.

I've got a Ruger and the Ruger factory rings came with it. Mounted scope and also ran out of windage trying to zero it in. Fought that problem for months. First smith said to drill and tap action for non-Ruger rings. Didn't get a warm fuzzy feeling from him. Second smith was a member of my Gun range. He met me at range with a new set of Ruger rings. Replaced one ring and solved the problem. They are made by humans and sometimes made wrong! I'd also get flyers with the original rings. Settled down since and shoots better.

This can go on and on and on. Proponents and opponents of Leupold. I run March, Nightforce, Leupold, Zeiss and a few others. THEY ALL RUN PERFECT AND TRACK TRUE. I have had issues before with all I have listed above in one way or the other. I have sent said scopes with these issues back to the manufacturers for repair and they all were sent back never having failed again. Just because there is a bad egg every so often don't let others discourage you if you like the Leupold. Law of averages plays part in all manufacturing and sometimes you draw the short stick. Leupold will fix the issue.

Brian, don't give up on Leupold. I have many Leupold scopes and Nightforce scopes. All mechanical things break period, some more often than others. For my hunting rifle I had a Nightforce 5.5-22-56 it works and sold it for a Leupold vx6 3-18-50 I didn't want to have the extra pound of scope on my rifle. I just ran the rifle from 200,500,600,800,1000 checking my moa and my G7 rangefinder. The Leupold still tracks perfectly. For a hunting rifle I believe that the Leupold is great, but for my F Class rifle I use a Nightforce 12-42-56 NXS. When a Nightforce goes in for repair they tell you nothing was wrong, just go and shoot your rifle and magic it's fixed. When you call Leupold they tell you what they fixed. I have had problem that you described and it sounds like the erector, spring. That's what happened with my old vx3 6.5-20-40 mm when I started shooting F Class on my 308. The more the turrets are turned and especially if you max out the scope on either end. Elevation and windage. Another scope I just bought to try is Meopta Optika 6 4.5-27-50 mm. It's turrets feels good and it's clear. I hope they fix your scope soon we both have a hunt in Wyoming in October. The sooner they take care of you I will receive my custom cds turret.😂

Brian, don't give up on Leupold. I have many Leupold scopes and Nightforce scopes. All mechanical things break period, some more often than others. For my hunting rifle I had a Nightforce 5.5-22-56 it works and sold it for a Leupold vx6 3-18-50 I didn't want to have the extra pound of scope on my rifle. I just ran the rifle from 200,500,600,800,1000 checking my moa and my G7 rangefinder. The Leupold still tracks perfectly. For a hunting rifle I believe that the Leupold is great, but for my F Class rifle I use a Nightforce 12-42-56 NXS. When a Nightforce goes in for repair they tell you nothing was wrong, just go and shoot your rifle and magic it's fixed. When you call Leupold they tell you what they fixed. I have had problem that you described and it sounds like the erector, spring. That's what happened with my old vx3 6.5-20-40 mm when I started shooting F Class on my 308. The more the turrets are turned and especially if you max out the scope on either end. Elevation and windage. Another scope I just bought to try is Meopta Optika 6 4.5-27-50 mm. It's turrets feels good and it's clear. I hope they fix your scope soon we both have a hunt in Wyoming in October. The sooner they take care of you I will receive my custom cds turret.😂
Thank you-
I actually just received my custom CDS turrets for said setup-
Fingers crossed!

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.