Struggling w a new Leupold VX-6HD 4-24x52

Based on everything you've said, its either the rings (not likely) or the scope...

I second what another poster suggested. When you get it back, sell it and buy an NF NX8. Similar magnification range and they just work. I've owned or extensively used numerous versions of both brands and have had occasional problems with Leupold and absolutely none with NF. Just my personal experience FWIW.

I will say Leupold customer service is usually top notch and Ill be surprised if they don't make it right. Problem is you're under a time limit and its no fun worrying about these type things with a hunting trip on the near horizon.

Usually, the best way to fix a luepold is to sell it and buy a nightforce. 🤣🤣

In all seriousness, I have a friend who works luepold customer service. I texted him and asked about their return policy and the work they do on scopes. I'll post his reply.

This may have nothing to do with your problem but I have a varix3 here I needed to crank all the way left to get zero and the gun went from cutting holes to a 4 inch group after bottoming it to the left. Busted spring? Send it in and see.

Based on everything you've said, its either the rings (not likely) or the scope...

I second what another poster suggested. When you get it back, sell it and buy an NF NX8. Similar magnification range and they just work. I've owned or extensively used numerous versions of both brands and have had occasional problems with Leupold and absolutely none with NF. Just my personal experience FWIW.

I will say Leupold customer service is usually top notch and Ill be surprised if they don't make it right. Problem is you're under a time limit and its no fun worrying about these type things with a hunting trip on the near horizon.
Thanks much-
ITs all been good advice....appreciate all the feedback and suggestions. We will see what happens today w Leupold. My gunsmith is joining the call- he made a good point, replace the scope and we will start over....if the problem persists, its on our end.....if not, problem solved. Seems simple enough but we will see what they say.

I don't have an issue with NF or Swarso or Vortex ….. or whatever......I just landed on Leupold from a lifetime of success and reliability. Only other brand I own is the 3-10 Vortex that I put on a back up muzzleloader. You'll never hear me brand bashing.....however.....this experience has started to swing my personal bias.....but like all things, **** sometimes happens. I just seem to have drawn the short straw this time.

Thanks again-

In all seriousness, I have a friend who works luepold customer service. I texted him and asked about their return policy and the work they do on scopes. I'll post his reply.
Thank you!

yeah well.....lots of opinions about selling a scope that obviously has an issue (at least it appears it does) doesn't make good sense to me. I'm not going to pass along my problem to someone else, though I do understand your point. Its an expensive paperweight if they don't make it right.

Guy I am dealing with at Leupold is David Kinsman. He has been great......really seems to know what he is talking about but I think he is getting tired of dealing w me....his service dept is telling him they can't find anything wrong?
I'm trying to be polite and not harass him......in fact we have only spoken 3 times in 6 weeks....so I don't think I am overstepping

I see a fair amount of new scopes bad from the manufacturer, Vortex being the highest. Happens to all of them.
This is definitely not a ring or base problem as those are easily recognized by a decent smith. Almost all rails have bows of some sort, when not attached to the action, greater with aluminum rails, once torqued in place on action all is well and verifiable with dial indicators. I have never had to bed a rail on a standard target or hunting rifle, and certainly not prophylacticly. And for the level of inaccuracy you experienced, im not sure you would experience unless someone forgot a screw or 2.
Scope is bad,

This may have nothing to do with your problem but I have a varix3 here I needed to crank all the way left to get zero and the gun went from cutting holes to a 4 inch group after bottoming it to the left. Busted spring? Send it in and see.
It has been sent in, they have had it nearly 6 weeks and saying they cant find anything wrong. They are now supposed to be mounting it on a rifle and shooting 5 test shots to see what they find.

I see a fair amount of new scopes bad from the manufacturer, Vortex being the highest. Happens to all of them.
This is definitely not a ring or base problem as those are easily recognized by a decent smith. Almost all rails have bows of some sort, when not attached to the action, greater with aluminum rails, once torqued in place on action all is well and verifiable with dial indicators. I have never had to bed a rail on a standard target or hunting rifle, and certainly not prophylacticly. And for the level of inaccuracy you experienced, im not sure you would experience unless someone forgot a screw or 2.
Scope is bad,
Thanks......feeling the same!
Much appreciate your input!

Thank you

I agree-
Initial time at 75 was simply to get it on paper before moving to 100yds. After problems I came back second time, started at 50 and couldn't get it close consistently. Issue was magnified at 100. Third time our w Vortex, started at 50, was on, immediately moved to 100 and had fun. That's one of the targets I attached earlier. I had multiple targets with consistent results (all w the Vortex). My preference is to zero at 200yds which I will.....eventually!

Thank you!
I had a Simmons scope on a desert eagle in 41magnum. That gun destroyed it in less than 4 magazines! Started out just like you said. But all the damage was inside the scope and unseen by me. Finally the lens turned sideways and I knew what happened. Never was able to put a scope/ Lazer or anything else on that that gun wouldn't destroy 😵

Two things jump out. First your gunsmith sounds like he knows what he is doing so after he bore sights by whatever method and then at the range to be that far off is suspicious. Second windage should not have to be dialed all the way over to get on center. The fact that another scope worked fine means the rail is ok. Could be rings, base of one set might not lineup right. Could also be scope bad or went south because you had to dial windage all the way over. You could check the rings by putting just the bottom portion up next to each other on the rail and see if they look lined up and level. If ring bases lineup then scope could well need a hard look at.

Would be nice if he could give general outline of how they check out a scope that comes back with issues. Seems like something obvious in this case.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.