Stripping down a perfectly good rifle??

baskhunter

Trying to figure out if I am right in the head for thinking about taking apart a perfectly good shooting rifle just because I like to tinker?

I have a sendero sfii in 300 wm that shoots great but I am hoping to lighten it up a couple pounds am thinking about taking it apart and having the action trued and doing a remage setup with it.

Am I crazy for wanting to do such thing? I know in the end it is my money and gun but want to see if you all had a better idea.

I have thought about selling it and buying a bighorn action to play with instead but I do feel like I might already be ahead of the game having a remington I can take apart.....

I'm not a fan of the barrel nut setups. I actually ditched it on my last barrel swap on my dgr action.

If I were you I'd be tempted to keep the rifle or trade it for an action that can do shouldered prefits instead. I've been eyeing up that defiance tenacity myself. Pretty sure origin can also do prefits.

I say tinker.

Trying to figure out if I am right in the head for thinking about taking apart a perfectly good shooting rifle just because I like to tinker?

I have a sendero sfii in 300 wm that shoots great but I am hoping to lighten it up a couple pounds am thinking about taking it apart and having the action trued and doing a remage setup with it.

Am I crazy for wanting to do such thing? I know in the end it is my money and gun but want to see if you all had a better idea.

I have thought about selling it and buying a bighorn action to play with instead but I do feel like I might already be ahead of the game having a remington I can take apart.....

In the end it would be better to build what you want and sell the factory rifle. You could use it as a donor If it has a good stock and action buy replacing the barrel and maybe the trigger.

Just my opinion

J E CUSTOM

I think the Sendero has a fairly heavy B&C stock that you could swap out for something lighter and still have a 700 footprint stock if you don't like it. Every Sendero I have run across shot very well so I would be hesitant to mess with it, just get what you want.

I have used lots of rifles as donor actions / parts .
If your looking to get a lighter set up do you have a budget ?
I think your action has a few miles on it ?
My Smith tells me to find one that has been used . I'm thinking with a Carbon Barrel and a McMillan edge fill stock you would be very happy ! I'm not sure but Carbon 6 offers Remage barrel's ??

Just my opinion but my Remington actions have been just fine ! I took my Elk at 1244 yrds this year and just rang steel at 2053 yrds. I have a Custom Action but it just sets .
All in all only you have to be happy with your set up !
Best of Luck in your decision!

Rum Man

I'm a firm believer if it ain't broke ,don't fix it ! If a rifle shoots well leave it alone. If you have one that doesn't , square everything up on it and work on it all you want (change the barrel) whatever. If you just want to tinker or build something new get a donor action or new action and build away . They are times when you can spend a lot of money and time for very little gain

Unless the weight is totally unacceptable, I'd be inclined to leave it be, or sell it and make a wholesale change. A good part of the accuracy and shoot-ability of the Sendaros and Milspecs comes from the basic weight of the barreled action. I change triggers and stocks to optimize ergonomics, but generally wait till I cook the barrel before I dismember a nice shooting rifle. When I have succumbed to urge, I always seem to wonder whether the view was worth the climb. Just some thoughts.

Thank you all for the replies. It's funny after reading the replies and then
re-reading what I posted it's kind of like "Duh you dummy!!"

I think I am just going to keep saving my pennies and pick up a bighorn origin to do my "tinkering" on!!

Thank you all for the insight!!

trueing and new barrel with a good trigger and lighterstock should shot better then the factory gun I did almost the same with a rem police in 300 win 1/2 moa all day long with the old kriger barrel and with the new proof barrel both chambered for the 215 berger. but now I am doing a lot of Bighorn actions with shoulder fit barrels and all have shot light out at 100 yards 1/2 inch with different factory ammo all that have gotten one love them. the shoulder fit is easier and less to mess with. for a light stock look at AG carbonfiber stock they will do you one and you will have it in no time at all no 6-10 month wait

If you do a web search, there are places that sell trued Remington actions.

https://www.nwactionworks.com/truedremington700action

These have just the face trued, nothing else.
http://northlandshooterssupply.com/actions/remington/

They sell several actions as well.
http://pacifictoolandgauge.com/834-actions-barreled-actions

If you buy a Remington action and have a smith blueprint it he can and you can save the measurements of the action and when you need a different barrel just give the smith the measurements and they should be able to make you a shouldered barrel, thread on and torque.....you gtg

I don't like to mess with or loose a good shooting rifle. I have a savage I wanted to do a barrel swap system with but it shoot so well that I don't want to touch it.

For 'mess' with idea, I would wait for a good sale on an rem 700 and then strip and sell as many parts as I could, blueprint, and build it back up. That generally cheaper than buying a 700 action as they are almost as much as a whole gun. Never done it as I have other projects I'm working on.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.