Striper Fishing Lake Cumberland

Deputy819

IMG954342.jpg IMG954339.jpg 20180512_135730.jpg 20180512_135836.jpg 20180512_110158.jpg
May 12th, 2018 Lake Cumberland with Stevens Guide Service....Of course my buddy (first timer on stripes) caught the 40 lbs 43" fish (last pic). Never taking him again. ;)

Sweet. Fish of a lifetime.

Yep, and my buddy said that he cared nothing about putting a fish like that on his wall. The guide was about half "sideways" when he stuck his filet knife into it. Said he couldn't believe what he was doing due to that being one of the best fish that had been in his boat in 10 years. I'm still shaking my head on that one......

Man those both look like awesome trips. I can't ever catch anything over a 12-13 pound striper not from lack of effort either :). Really nice fish.

Man those both look like awesome trips. I can't ever catch anything over a 12-13 pound striper not from lack of effort either :). Really nice fish.
Thanks, buddy! Been using the same guide for 3 years now. He retired from Law Enforcement and took over his dad's striper guide business. He really knows his stuff when it comes to finding the fish. You have to book him a year in advance if you want to fish the best months for the BIG stripes.

Yep! We got lucky and located a school coming out of a cove in the main lake channel....we dropped anchor, put out some down poles and had our limit in 30 minutes!! Nailed 'Em!! :D

image.jpeg
Yep, and my buddy said that he cared nothing about putting a fish like that on his wall. The guide was about half "sideways" when he stuck his filet knife into it. Said he couldn't believe what he was doing due to that being one of the best fish that had been in his boat in 10 years. I'm still shaking my head on that one......

I released this blue marlin and took length and girth with a picture and sent it to Grey's Taxidermy in Florida. If you did that and he wanted it on the wall he could just send it in. We have charter captains here that offer a pool to get in for biggest fish for the year and you get a free mount.

Very nice, sir! The problem with releasing stripers that big is that they pretty much give you all they have on the way up to the boat and then die if/when released. I actually suggested the replica idea to my buddy (the guide took length and girth measurements due to that particular fish being the best on his boat in 10 years) and he wanted nothing to do with it. I still give him A LOT of flak for that. I wish the striper guides did that pool thing here.....I would've had it done on that fish for MY wall if it was free!!!

Wow! looks like a great time! If you ever want to try a new place I would like to suggest
Melton Hill Lake. We throw umbrella rigs all winter. You can catch Stripers..Muskys..Bass
whoever is on the bait.
Have fun with your Dad! Mines been gone since 2001 and I still miss him.

Last edited:
Have fun with your Dad!
Definitely great times! I fish with Dad as often as my wife (and wallet.....nearly the same thing) will allow! Dad turned 70 this past August and is starting to develop some "memory problems". So, I try to keep guides booked as steady as possible. I'll definitely look into Melton Hill Lake....we've never targeted muskies before. Thank you, sir!

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.